Introduction-VinDiesel

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
VinDiesel
Embryo

Introduction-VinDiesel

Post by VinDiesel »

First day of the army was 03/20/2012, attended OSUT at Ft Benning to become an 11B and I was stationed in Ft Drum, NY 10th MTN 1st BCT 2-22 IN. I'm working on preparing for commando school *Pre-Ranger basically* later this year, and then hopefully, off to Ranger School.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction-VinDiesel

Post by cams »

VinDiesel wrote:First day of the army was 03/20/2012, attended OSUT at Ft Benning to become an 11B and I was stationed in Ft Drum, NY 10th MTN 1st BCT 2-22 IN. I'm working on preparing for commando school *Pre-Ranger basically* later this year, and then hopefully, off to Ranger School.
Is that what they're calling it nowadays? Interesting. This should be good.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
VinDiesel
Embryo

Post by VinDiesel »

cams wrote:
VinDiesel wrote:First day of the army was 03/20/2012, attended OSUT at Ft Benning to become an 11B and I was stationed in Ft Drum, NY 10th MTN 1st BCT 2-22 IN. I'm working on preparing for commando school *Pre-Ranger basically* later this year, and then hopefully, off to Ranger School.
Only Ft. Drum is doing that, far as I know. You even get a commando tab if you pass.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

VinDiesel wrote:
cams wrote:
Only Ft. Drum is doing that, far as I know. You even get a commando tab if you pass.
For wear on your uniform?

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
VinDiesel
Embryo

Post by VinDiesel »

Yes, but it's only authorized on this post.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

For trivia: when I worked at US Army School of the Americas (USARSO) at Fort Gulick, Panama (Canal Zone) 1968-69, we had a 4 - 6 week Recondo-type course (taught in Spanish) and the graduates were awarded a Commando Tab. The students were from all over Central and South America. Since USARSO moved to Benning, I lost track of what courses they teach.

VinDiesel, please take a look at our Ranger School thread to assist you.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

I wonder if I have what it takes to be a Ft. Drum Commando? Does the Commando tab go above or below the Mountain tab? CLTW! (What the fuck?!?)

All this reminds me of an article from my first deployment about Op Anaconda, 2002. A pudgy soldier was asked about his Mountain patch and told the reporter, "We don't do mountains" (starts before the B1B bomber near the begining) The article recomended moving 10th Mountain from Drum to Carson to "earn" their mountain tab. (Similar to changing 75th Infantry (Ranger) to 75th Ranger Regiment. Light/Infantry/Mountain/etc.)

http://www.combatreform.org/realmountaindivision.htm

It does make me wonder why there has been little to no mountain training due to 12+ years in Afghanistan.
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 B Co, 1st Plt 2004-2005
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Mike11C11B wrote:I wonder if I have what it takes to be a Ft. Drum Commando? Does the Commando tab go above or below the Mountain tab? CLTW! (What the fuck?!?)

All this reminds me of an article from my first deployment about Op Anaconda, 2002. A pudgy soldier was asked about his Mountain patch and told the reporter, "We don't do mountains" (starts before the B1B bomber near the begining) The article recomended moving 10th Mountain from Drum to Carson to "earn" their mountain tab. (Similar to changing 75th Infantry (Ranger) to 75th Ranger Regiment. Light/Infantry/Mountain/etc.)

http://www.combatreform.org/realmountaindivision.htm

It does make me wonder why there has been little to no mountain training due to 12+ years in Afghanistan.
10th MTN started on Pikes Peak West of Colorado Springs (easy climb for a 14k peak and it's really cool watching semi-trucks race up it). The first Soldiers were selected from ski instructors. Don't know why they moved them except to boost the economy outside of the post.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Jim wrote:For trivia: when I worked at US Army School of the Americas (USARSO) at Fort Gulick, Panama (Canal Zone) 1968-69, we had a 4 - 6 week Recondo-type course (taught in Spanish) and the graduates were awarded a Commando Tab. The students were from all over Central and South America. Since USARSO moved to Benning, I lost track of what courses they teach.

VinDiesel, please take a look at our Ranger School thread to assist you.
Not sure what it is called now, but when the "School of the Americas" was on post, they did a "Ranger" type of course they called the "Commando" course, and were given a Commando Tab upon completion. I don't know how long it was, but it was considerably shorter than Ranger School (closer to LRSLC), and all done at Darby, I believe. When they did the log walk at Victory pond they made them sound off with a resounding "COMMANDO!.."
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

VinDiesel wrote:
cams wrote:
Wow. Everybody gets a trophy has spread far and wide.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

cams wrote:
Wow. Everybody gets a trophy has spread far and wide.
Bumper sticker version - My Terrific Kid Can Awesomely Draw Outstanding Breath at the local Kid Kennel Day Care.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”