Intro-Hammer9

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Hammer9
Embryo

Intro-Hammer9

Post by Hammer9 »

Good day, Rangers.

I'm a long-time lurker, finally at a place in my career where I figured I should register and start asking questions.

I'm currently a Civil Affairs team leader in 351 CACOM. I've been in the Reserve component since 2010. I made the mistake of being in the Reserves, I thought that the weekend warrior deal would satisfy me. Long story short, it doesn't and I'm applying for active duty this coming year through the Call to Active Duty program. If all goes well and I am accepted, I will pursue an assignment within the 75th Ranger Regiment.

I have had overwhelmingly positive interactions with Rangers I have met (at different schools and at the All-Army Marksmanship event), and have been mentored by a couple of exceptional Ranger officers, one is still in Regiment, I believe. Being in Regiment, even as a Civil Affairs officer, would be a welcome challenge that I feel I would love.

I haven't been to Ranger school, but I prepare for it every day. Whenever it even looks like a possibility that my unit has a slot, I'm at the drill center with a 4187 and Ranger physical in hand, bugging the S3 to send me. I recite the Ranger Creed to my boys before bed. If I missed the boat, I will make sure my sons don't.

Thanks again, Rangers, for all you do.
"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
-GEN John A. Wickham, Jr.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro-Hammer9

Post by Jim »

Welcome Hammer9. Good luck with earning an active duty slot.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Hammer9.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Thanks for stepping up to serve our country. And good luck to you!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Hammer9
Embryo

Post by Hammer9 »

Jim invited me to post a SITREP, so I figured it would be wise to honor his request.

I go to Airborne school in October and I should finish my CCC in December, if my school requests get approved judiciously. We have a supporting role in an NTC rotation shortly after that, after which I will submit my Call to Active Duty packet.

Best case scenario, that will take six months or so, after which I will redo the entire Civil Affairs pipeline, including the SOF CCC, but that's okay with me; I want to be as highly trained as possible.

After that, I will have some team time on AD, do whatever I have to do to go to Ranger School, then put in my 4187 for RASP II. It's a long way away, but I'm determined to stay this path.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the SITREP. Please stay in touch and good luck in your training.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

God speed, young Warrior-in-Training. Thank you for your service to our country.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Hammer9
Embryo

Post by Hammer9 »

SITREP: NTC was a success, I got to coordinate with the Ranger TF on a couple of occasions (non lethal targeting) and I never cease to be impressed by those guys. It further solidifies my intent to pursue a spot in the Ranger Regiment. I have finished my Active Duty packet, and I will hear about that in 4-8 weeks. The process is moving, and I look forward to the challenges to come.

I will be at JBLM next week, and I wonder if it would be proper to contact 2/75 and talk with their S9 about his job? I know it never hurts to ask, but would a phone call or email be more appropriate than showing up at the brown fence asking for their S9?

Thanks again. More SITREPs to follow.

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Hammer9 wrote:SITREP: NTC was a success, I got to coordinate with the Ranger TF on a couple of occasions (non lethal targeting) and I never cease to be impressed by those guys. It further solidifies my intent to pursue a spot in the Ranger Regiment. I have finished my Active Duty packet, and I will hear about that in 4-8 weeks. The process is moving, and I look forward to the challenges to come.

I will be at JBLM next week, and I wonder if it would be proper to contact 2/75 and talk with their S9 about his job? I know it never hurts to ask, but would a phone call or email be more appropriate than showing up at the brown fence asking for their S9?

Thanks again. More SITREPs to follow.

Call first. One they may be gone and two it gives them the itch between their shoulder blades if you just show up.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Just out of curiosity what are your APFT scores, to include pull-ups and 5 mile run. The Battalion can be pretty accommodating when they have the time, but if it's a busy time or they are deployed you'll have a hard time talking to anyone. I concur with Tough, call before hand and you'll have a better chance at seeing someone besides a private at the gate asking you to leave. :lol:
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Hammer9
Embryo

Post by Hammer9 »

Rangerjd,

My last record APFT I did 78 pu, 84 su, and 12:45. That's a 308 in the 27-31 age bracket, which I'm in (I'm 29.)

I did a personal RPFT a week ago and got 78, 85, and 37:27 for the 5 mile. I did about 12 pull-ups after, the last 4 were pretty cruddy and probably would not count.

I go rucking weekly in preparation for Ranger School, and my last 12 mile ruck was 2:50.

rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

Sound like your on a good track for prepping for Ranger School. While in the 2nd Ranger Battalion area check out the new memorial build by the Pointe du Hoc Foundation, it's pretty incredible. I noticed you're from Utah, I graduated from Olympus HS in the Holiday area of the Salt Lake Valley.
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
Hammer9
Embryo

Post by Hammer9 »

rangerjd wrote:Sound like your on a good track for prepping for Ranger School. While in the 2nd Ranger Battalion area check out the new memorial build by the Pointe du Hoc Foundation, it's pretty incredible. I noticed you're from Utah, I graduated from Olympus HS in the Holiday area of the Salt Lake Valley.
Rangerjd,

Thanks, I will for sure visit that memorial.

I know Olympus well, I went to a different school but it was in my district and I used to play and referee football there. I currently live just up the street from the school and it lies on one of my routes for rucking, 2300 E/Holladay Blvd, I walk by it all the time. Small world.

I really appreciate your help.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please tell us what you have been doing.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Hammer9
Embryo

Post by Hammer9 »

Ranger Jim,

I'm playing the waiting game now, HRC projects 6-18 week turnaround on the call to active duty packets. In the meantime, I'm continuing my regimen of PT and rucking. I have volunteered to teach every class I can during drill weekends to improve my technical and tactical proficiency. We have a lot of former infantrymen in our battalion, and I'm learning all I can from them.

I have also sought out a couple of mentors; I'm going to get back in touch with my BOLC mentor who was in the CCC on his way to Regiment while I was in BOLC, and one of my fellow team leaders in my battalion has a prior battalion commander who was a Civil Affairs officer in Regiment. I will contact him soon.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”