'14 Current AD Army soldier questions

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
pfcgunbunny
Egg

'14 Current AD Army soldier questions

Post by pfcgunbunny »

Hello I'm currently a 13B PFC in 2-77 FA in Fort Carson. I've been in for a little over a year so far, and have been researching possible routes into re-classing and hoping for the opportunity to join regiment in the future. I've done about as much research as I can about the special operations community, and most of the questions I have, I either cant find answers to online, or the people I ask personally give me mixed answers. so that's why I'm coming here.

1. Researching the regiment I found the list of jobs accepted, one of the ones that caught my eye personally was a 25c, the main issue I have trying to decide about re-classing to this MOS or not is the question of whether or not ill actually be able to do actual operations with the main body rangers or if ill be in the rear communicating with the ground forces. With that being asked, what's the hot MOS in the regiment currently that gives tech skills with being in the mix as well.

2. My battery commander used to be an FSO for ranger bat before he got orders here, one of the questions I asked him was, do the rangers have any combat divers? And he answered that with an "I don't know". So, is there such thing as combat diver in regiment, or is the whole combat diver scene an SF thing?

3. Finally I used to have a family friend that was a 25C and was in regiment, but never really told me what it was like. What I really remember him telling me is that he was a radio operator in LRS. I've asked everywhere and cant find anything on the modern existence of LRS, and the people I ask haven't even heard of it before. Does LRS still exist, and if so, how do you get in?

I really appreciate any response and answers to these questions ahead of time. Thank you guys for what you do. RLTW!
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: '14 Current AD Army soldier questions

Post by Sleepy Doc »

If I may be so bold..

Get yer' shit in line as needed (read: Get your PT score up, NLT 280), study some Ranger history and learn the Creed, keep your current MOS and THEN go to RASP. I used to work side by side with the FIST'ers (granted, it was peace time..) but a 13B private in the Regiment is doing things that you won't see until you are an E-5 or E-6 in the "big" Army.

Not sure what your experience is so far,or how much you have been able to do, but the fire support team in the Regiment is the best there is. Period. End. They, quite literally, are on the razor's edge, and do the thing s that your read about in books and see in the movies. They, quite literally, use state-of-the-art equipment that the "big" Army won't see for a while.

However, it comes at a price. You will be carrying probably the heaviest ruck I have ever seen, so your roadmarchning ability needs to be on point. But, it is a price very much worth paying. While I was in, the head NCO of the FIST team was constantly being tasked to teach the principles of fire support to, *ahem*.. some very interesting units, shall we say?

Either way, make it happen!

Doc Out
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

First things first.

Capitalize Ranger and Regiment when you're speaking if my Ranger Regiment. If we can do it, so can you.

Divers- way back in the 90s, some guys, a few, would go to SF combat dive school. SF has dive teams. Regt doest not. Or didn't. Going to. A school that has little applicability to the current fight, in between turns to the box probably isn't a real big priority right about now.

LRP became LRS, became the Infantry company in some RSTAs. You probably won't go out with a team as a 25C. But they most assuredly not be used correctly and doctrinally if the belong to. A RSTA or the LRS-D/U at the appropriate level they're assigned.

As Doc said, PT your ass off and get ready for a culture shock, cause you have no idea what you're trying to sign up for. Most of us didn't.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

KW Driver wrote: Capitalize Ranger and Regiment when you're speaking if my Ranger Regiment. If we can do it, so can you.

As Doc said, PT your ass off and get ready for a culture shock, cause you have no idea what you're trying to sign up for. Most of us didn't.
X2
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”