In need of guidance

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Alinf
Egg

In need of guidance

Post by Alinf »

Gentlemen, I'll try to make this short and sweet. To start off, I'm an infantryman currently in Afghanistan, and it's my Intent to attend RASP after this deployment, who do I talk to? What do I need to do? Do I need to talk to a SOCOM recruiter? I've aske a lot of people in my chain of command but they didn't seem to have a real answer, besides "I have no clue" and "look it up". My next question is, I'm in a very good physical shape, I'm always chosen to represent my company during the battalion's fitness competition, push ups Max out, run Max out, but I have a problem with sit ups, I can always pass but I never maxed out so I was wondering if y'all had a tip or two on how to improve that section
Last but not least, like a lot of lower enlisted guys, I'm fairly decent at land nav (definitely not shit hot) because lack of practice, is land nav a requirement to graduate RASP? I know there's a land nav portion in there but is it required?
Thanks gentlemen
"Let him bear the palm, who has won it"
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: In need of guidance

Post by Jim »

Here is a link that will start you in the right direction:

https://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75t ... uiting.htm

Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome. Land Nav is required, day and night courses, and is a very important Ranger skill.

Murphy's Law; when you need it the most, your GPS will fail, and you'll need to go it the old fashioned way. Practice up.

My suggestion on sit-ups is to do as many as you can for the alotted 2mins, record your number, and then do that many during each set. Several times a day. After 1week add 5more if you can, and so on. Truly the only thing that can get you up to speed, is doing more of them.

Thanks for your service and good luck on your journey.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Alinf
Egg

Post by Alinf »

Jim, that looks like the real deal. Much appreciated
Alinf
Egg

Post by Alinf »

Cams, I will start practicing as soon as I get home, for now I will just keep brushing up on my plotting and what not. Also I will incorporate that into my regimen, tango mike!
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Have you tried talking to your battalion/brigade recruitment NCO? That's who I wen through. Good luck.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

OK, Alinf, by now you have had some time to digest the link, and you should be past the initial shock. Please tell us more about yourself. Why do you want to be a Ranger? Have you earned your CIB? What experiences have you had? Memorize the Ranger Creed and start living your life by it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Jim wrote:Why do you want to be a Ranger?
This was the first thing my first TL in Battalion said to me when I showed up. It was quickly followed by "And if you say 'to be the best' I'm going to fucking kill you." I suggest you have a good answer.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

SLEDGE HAMMER wrote:
Jim wrote:Why do you want to be a Ranger?
This was the first thing my first TL in Battalion said to me when I showed up. It was quickly followed by "And if you say 'to be the best' I'm going to fucking kill you." I suggest you have a good answer.
I was in a unique position as I had three years in Viet-Nam as a SSG when I went to OCS. Following OCS, I went to jump refresher and began the Ranger Course. For 17 months I was an advisor to one of the Vietnamese Ranger battalions, so when Max Bennett (who served with me in VN), one of the RIs in the MRC asked me that question, my response was, "Ranger Bennett, I need to validate my Ranger skills."
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”