Intro MAO12A

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Intro MAO12A

Post by cams »

Welcome Sir. Thank you or what you do. Please stay and enjoy the site.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
MAO12A
Embryo

Post by MAO12A »

Ranger Jim....I am noticing this. So far....so good!

To all other Rangers...thank you for the warm welcome.

BTW....if anyone has any ideas on SMU's, USASOC, or other relatable units that can recruit from the Reserves...I am all ears. We can even utilize AKO to communicate about that if OPSEC may not permit the information to be posted in an open forum. Otherwise, I will keep working to be the best Engineer that I can be.
12A
USAR
Current PL/AGR for an Horizontal Engineer Company
Served as a 74D as an enlisted Soldier Prior to commissioning
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

MAO12A wrote: BTW....if anyone has any ideas on SMU's, USASOC, or other relatable units that can recruit from the Reserves...I am all ears. We can even utilize AKO to communicate about that if OPSEC may not permit the information to be posted in an open forum. Otherwise, I will keep working to be the best Engineer that I can be.
Please elaborate.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
MAO12A
Embryo

Post by MAO12A »

Ranger Jim,

While assigned to an Aviation Company, I did see a few aviators get pulled to assessed and pulled by the 160th SOAR. I have also attended a briefing for an SMU that could pull from the Reserves if they had a good candidate. Now that I am commissioned, I have a while before I am eligible for most assignments. When I speak with SORB recruiters, most have stated that there is nothing they know how to do. One did state he could work me IF I conditionally resigned my commission and were able to get selected for Civil Affairs.

After speaking with a few others, I have found that it is not common but possible for USASOC units to pull Reserve Soldiers but I have yet to find the person who knows how to do so. I know that it may help if I were to change branches at CPT in order to be available for a wider variety of support assignments (such as Logistics, AG, MI, etc). I am just hoping that someday I will get lucky enough to meet the right person.
12A
USAR
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

You are vague, I do not understand what you want to do?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have you looked at Civil Affairs? They may have requirements that better meet your desires.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
MAO12A
Embryo

Post by MAO12A »

Ranger ZoneIV...I agree with what you are saying. With my civilian background, Logistics might be a place where I can make up ground for lost time. We will see what opens up as I progress. I have time to see where I can get with my career. I may never make it to a USASOC unit and that is ok. I can still do some amazing things in my career and maybe I will get lucky and get a shot at Sapper, Ranger, Airborne, and other schools to help me develop as a combat leader since I am hoping to return to a Combat assignment for my Company Command time. There is talk in the Army 2020 vision about increasing Engineer support to USASOC. I have found a few articles referencing this as well.

Ranger Jim....Civil Affairs is definitely on my radar. My Engineering background would work well with infrastructure assessment and development. I would also be able to move to this field as a Reservist, which makes it appealing since transferring to AD is challenging and I am not eligible until after CCC...which would make me too senior for the ARSOF board for AD by the time I am eligible for CAD. The advantage for AGR Reservists with Civil Affairs is that we get the Active Duty pipeline and not the Reserve CAQC. I would also still be eligible for CAD if I went this route, but could be placed back in the Engineer branch if I go through CAD since they place you were your skillset is needed...even if qualified as a 38A.

For the time being, I am going to focus on being the best PL and full-timer that I can be. The construction side of the house is considerably different than the combat side, so I am learning a lot. I spend part of my day on ALMS learning something new through self-development courses....mostly about the construction side of things. EBOLC was not comprehensive enough for me to know enough. I also spend time each day with my NCO's trying to learn something new about operations, planning, equipment, etc from their POV. If I am meant for a USASOC assignment, the path will become available eventually. I will hunt every opportunity to develop myself and keep doing the right things.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
12A
USAR

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”