Intro

IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
IF you are a Ranger or are serving/have served in the Armed Forces, please include your dates of service, unit(s) and additional info. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.
Bloody_Limey
Ranger

Intro

Post by Bloody_Limey »

Just made it to 2nd BN. Graduated the Special Operations Combat Medic course (SOCM) in June 2013. Went to LA during my leave because it was the only place in the month of June on the West coast that did the NREMT Paramedic psychomotor exam. The completion of the SOCM course and being issued our ATP license allows a SOCM to challenge the NREMT Paramedic exam.
Knocked that out and did the written test too. Passed. Now have my Paramedic license. As well as my RN license and ATP.
Still working on my RN to BSN, ve-ery slowly. As slow as I possibly can because I don't want to make any big non-military study commitments.

Anyone with any questions about the SOCM program, I'd be happy to answer within the realms of OPSEC. There is some excellent study material, freely accessible online for any preSOCM medics waiting to go to SOCM. I heard they cut the funding for the Tuition Assistance which was providing preSOCM medics a 6-week physiology & anatomy course to prepare them for SOCM (which it had been doing very successfully). Now they send preSOCM medics to get their Expert Field Medical Badge instead. A fair compromise, but still... budget restraints suck.

That said, quizlet is an excellent resource for anyone about to go to SOCM.

Proud to be here at 2/75. Eager to learn and help.

I was fortunate enough to be the first Ranger going through SOCM and one of six specially selected SOCMs to go to Flint, Michigan for their clinical rotation. The very first rotation for this new venue. Flint was chosen for it's high incidence of penetrating trauma per capita. I certainly saw some interesting trauma while I was there.

http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michi ... y_med.html

RLTW

How do I change my status from 'embryo' to 'Ranger'?
"The truth about the world is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream..."~CORMAC MCCARTHY
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Intro

Post by Slowpoke »

Congratulations RANGER!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

PM sent for face to face for vetting.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Congrats Ranger. Didn't SOCM guys used to go to Tampa? Although I can certainly understand why Flint was chosen.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent! Becoming a Ranger medic is a long road, indeed! Now the tough part begins,
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Congrats, Ranger Doc.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

Good stuff doc! Congrats to ya! Enjoy never taking a knee on a long road march again! I loved what I did at Battalion, but ALWAYS wished I had reenlisted to be a Doc at Battalion. I wanted nothing more than to be a RN when I got out. Unfortunately, life, bills and a list of other excuses got in the way. Actually, I think it all revolved around my wife! Live the dream brother! I'd kill to be back home with the boys again!

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Welcome, Young, Proud Warrior! I simply adore the quality of our "Baby Rangers!"
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

What company are you going to?
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
Bloody_Limey
Ranger

Post by Bloody_Limey »

Responded to Dreadnought via PM.

Sledge Hammer,
SOCM's still do go to Tampa. And Virginia. There's two clinical sites in Tampa, one in Virginia.
They added Flint, MI this year because of the high rate of penetrating trauma / GSW's Flint gets.

RMP-RLTW,
Couldn't you use your GI Bill to get your RN? The diploma program is only 2-years long and I think you can do a lot of it online these days (useful if you have family commitments). If you do go that route, check out the DANTES and CLEP tests - they're exams you can do that are considered the equivalent of a college course. They're free for military and very cheap if you're a civilian (I think $70 per test) - you can save some dollars by doing these and trim some semester hours off your syllabus for an RN program (or whatever you want to study). Worth looking into.
"The truth about the world is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream..."~CORMAC MCCARTHY
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Damn Doc, you were right here in our back yard ( Oakland county MI)..

welcome to the site .. and congrats on making it to 2nd Batt.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Congratulations on all you have accomplished. It's a great journey you have just begun.

Sorry I missed you while you were in my backyard. I spent last weekend in the Flint Hurley emergency room and hospital, it would have been great seeing you.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Congrats on making my old alma mater!! Very proud of you & glad to say "I knew you when"

You've provided the best AARs ever posted here--you're a damn fine ranger!
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

rangertough wrote:PM sent for face to face for vetting.

Tough
**BUMP**

Has anyone followed up with him on this or sent him a verification packet?
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “Introductions - Rangers, Veterans, Ranger Wives/Parents”