Danner's new Tachyon Boot

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Danner's new Tachyon Boot

Post by cams »

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscou ... -for-2013/

http://www.gearwhorereviews.com/boots/danner-tachyon/

Purchased a pair of these for summer about 2 weeks ago.

At first glance they were not at all what I expected. I've never seen or hefted a boot this light in my life. Felt very flimsy like rice paper in my hand. But being Danners I decided to keep them and give them a go.

Took about 2 days of wearing them just to get used to the lack of weight in a boot. 26oz's total is what they say. Lighter than my running shoes.

I've since come to love wearing them. One of the most comfortable shoes/boots I've ever had.

Not waterproof, but they dry very quickly. Purposely wore them to the range on a wet, rainy day in the sand and got them soaked as a dry test. Took them off, changed socks and dried my feet and put them back on, they dried in about 10-15 mins as the sun was coming out and temp's rising.

Can't say yet how they will hold up to extreme wear and hard use, but I'll update here with any issues I find as it goes.

They are true to size with a normal boot, need absolutely no break in time, and are just downright comfortable as all get out.

Retail for about $140.00

If they hold up to some good hard use I will absolutely buy a couple pairs and keep them in the BOB, at 26oz and being Danners, well worth it so far.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Danner's new Tachyon Boot

Post by Flesh Thorn »

They do look good and also look to be wide in the toes. The problem I had with the Acadias was the tapered toe box. Seriously, who has a foot shaped like that ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Flesh Thorn wrote:They do look good and also look to be wide in the toes. The problem I had with the Acadias was the tapered toe box. Seriously, who has a foot shaped like that ?
Plenty of wiggle room in the toe box. Feels almost like being barefoot.

Though they do not provide a lot of protection for the foot, when laced up tight they do provide good ankle support and they do have a rubberized toe cap. There is no arch support, and that also took about 2 days of wear to get used to.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

These have pretty much become my everyday wear during warm weather months. I've since ordered a second pair in Tan (back ordered already until late Sep '13) to keep in my BOB. Extremely comfortable.

Two things to keep in mind so far;

They don't go well with any type of Admin uniform that should have a polished look.
Field use, absolutely, they get dirty very easy and it's a synthetic material so you can't just brush on some Kiwi to clean them up. The creases and rings around the speedlaces love to hold onto dirt and sand dust.

Secondly; If you wear 'Long' size pants, there is no arch support and a flat foot bed, so my pantlegs have been getting caught up on the bottom of the heal. Have to either have them hemmed or give them one roll to keep from catching when I walk.

Those are the only issues I can see so far. For comfort and field use, Fuck yes. 100%
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Cams could you please give me a one year follow-up?

Thanks
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Sure. Have been wearing them randomly on hot days and range days and still no defects or tears (sp?) anywhere. Rubber sole is still completely intact, has not come unglued anywhere, compared to a pair of black lightweight Bates I bought for uniform use and within 3 weeks the rubber sole and glue was completely coming apart, returned them and got my money back.

Couple things: I still keep a new pair in my BOB simply because they're so damn light you can't go wrong for a quickly needed spare pair of boots.

With that said, they are such a light/minimalist boot they really don't provide any protection for the top of the foot or ankle and we all know how important feet are to our lifestyle. Sharp rocks, climbing craggy ledges etc could pose a problem and foot injuries would be problematic in the field. That's the only downside I've found so far, so depending on your environment it could be an issue. My general environment here for a couple hundred miles in either direction is mostly soft/wooded terrain, not a lot of rocky type/hard edged mountains or cliffs and crags to contend with.

Danner has promoted them as "fast mission" boots, quick in and out types that you can run in with ease, so I'd have to say for a general purpose tough/field/protective boot they're not made for that. I'll still keep a pair in my bag for a well made extremely light boot when what I'm wearing is in such a state of disrepair that you to have to DX them on the spot and keep moving.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Thank you Cams, that is exactly what I needed to know.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

al_2ndWolfhounds wrote:Thank you Cams, that is exactly what I needed to know.
You got it brother. Glad I could help.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Return to “Personal Gear”