Rucksack Info

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Audacious
Embryo

Rucksack Info

Post by Audacious »

Hello Rangers, thanks for taking the time to read this topic. I did search to look for some Rucksack info, and I found some, however it was all largely outdated which is why I wanted to make a topic.

The Ranger officer I had talked to told me it wouldn't be a bad idea to get boots, a ruck, and start with 35 pounds in it, work my way up to 55, and said see if I can do 12 miles as close to 2 hours as possible. There's lots of information on boots which is good, but not tons for the ruck. I was just wondering what your ruck of choice is, and why.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: Rucksack Info

Post by Sleepy Doc »

For your purposes, any decent commercial backpack will do. With frame or without, it really doesn't matter; the point is to get used to carrying weight on your back for long distances. It is more of a mind game than anything else. The added advantage is to get your feet conditioned. If you aren't used to doing it yet, a good rule of thumb is to keep the pack around 35% of your weight. That doesn't mean start there, but that is what you can work up to.

I'm sure if you dig around you will find a plethora of info on boot selection.

Have fun!
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

Thanks Ranger The Sleepy Doc. You say it doesn't matter whether it has a frame or not, but if it has a frame it will be better for my back? Thanks for the speedy responses.

Ranger Richard Cranium, thanks for the tips. Luckily I'm a distance runner and train on very long hills which gives me some great base strength. I will definitely start with what I know I can handle before upping my weight.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

The Alice frame is better for the extra large alice packs we used to carry, averaging anywhere from 80-110lbs. It also (somewhat) kept the ruck off your BDU jacket to let your skin breath so you didn't break out with heat rash and end up with scabies from the itch.

You're starting light, a frameless pack will be fine for you.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

Roger that Ranger cams.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

If/when you get above about 50 lbs, I'd go with a frame, internal or external doesn't much matter. Another thing is try to use bulk, vs a 45 lb plate off your bench for example. It carries differently.

Whatever you do, start slow and light. Build the distance and weight slowly.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

Ranger KW Driver, do you have a suggestion as what to use for weight? I was thinking about that myself, and I knew I wanted to spread it out a bit.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Audacious wrote:Ranger KW Driver, do you have a suggestion as what to use for weight? I was thinking about that myself, and I knew I wanted to spread it out a bit.
If you can get a hold of them, expired liter IV bags are great. (little plug there..) They weigh roughly two pounds a piece and you can add them easily. Barring that, used plastic liter water bottles will give you about the same results. Just make sure you tape the top well after filling them so they don't come unscrewed.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:
Audacious wrote:Ranger KW Driver, do you have a suggestion as what to use for weight? I was thinking about that myself, and I knew I wanted to spread it out a bit.
If you can get a hold of them, expired liter IV bags are great. (little plug there..) They weigh roughly two pounds a piece and you can add them easily. Barring that, used plastic liter water bottles will give you about the same results. Just make sure you tape the top well after filling them so they don't come unscrewed.
Water bottles (or IVs) interspersed with soft articles like clothing, towels, etc to spread the load. the goal is to spread the weight as evenly around the ruck as possible, so avoid putting all the weight at the bottom and fluff on top or vice versa. If you are limited in what you can use and how you can arrange it, try to shift the heavier stuff to the top of the ruck to bear it with your upper back/shoulders.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Audacious
Embryo

Post by Audacious »

Thanks Ranger The Sleepy Doc and RangerX for the info. I'm looking forward to getting some weight on my back well before basic so I'm a little more experienced by the time I would be heading to RASP.

Return to “Personal Gear”