Plate carriers

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Plate carriers

Post by cams »

rangertough wrote:
cams wrote:Jim those were our team tac-vests. Heavy vests/plates all around. Not for regular patrolman use.

Difference being those vests you saw have ballistic capabilities all around for pistol protection and also heavy plates for rifle protection, whereas the plate carriers in the subject are simply nylon "carriers" to support the use of a front and back rifle plate.
Side SAPI plates are a worthy addition iMHO.

Tough
Oh I concure my brother. With the amount of over time $$ they spent during the bombings every dept of the state and local Gov is cutting every corner they can to make it up. Final say is out of my hands but it is something I will push for.

Ranger Dreadnought, thanks for the link, great products and customer service at Crye. I wish i could say 250.00 for a carrier would fly though I'm sure they'll pick something that's about 200.00 less than since they're allegedly looking at purchasing a couple hundred of them, then add on the cost of good lightweight plates for each. Not an easy sell to the man with the purse strings right now.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/platecarriermodular.aspx

$125.00 but thier top end releasable (it's got a "rip-cord" that will drop the carrier) is $307 which is ridiculous. I bought mine when it was under $200. I think Logan's brother is getting greedy.

I never thought I'd say this. Crye is the much better deal.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

rangertough wrote:http://www.tacticaltailor.com/platecarriermodular.aspx

$125.00 but thier top end releasable (it's got a "rip-cord" that will drop the carrier) is $307 which is ridiculous. I bought mine when it was under $200. I think Logan's brother is getting greedy.

Tough
Wow. Ya that's crazy. Crye is great gear and I too never thought I'd see TT charging that kind of money. Shit we used to walk in there and get gear mod'ed for a few bucks. Times have changed.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

cams wrote:
rangertough wrote:http://www.tacticaltailor.com/platecarriermodular.aspx

Tough
Wow. Ya that's crazy. Crye is great gear and I too never thought I'd see TT charging that kind of money. Shit we used to walk in there and get gear mod'ed for a few bucks. Times have changed.
It's NDog's fault.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Ok bringing this one back up. Anyone have any good suggestions? I looked through these but the posts are a few years old looking to see if anyone found anything new?
Graduated RASP Class 09-12
Successful Mentee to Ranger The Sleepy Doc
75th Ranger Regiment, RSTB 2013 - 2016
528th SOSB, SOMEDD 2016 - ????
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

What's the intended use? Law enforcement, medical, military, zombies, bump in the night?
And are you wanting front and rear plates only, sides, all 4 side plates with backers,etc?

If you're looking for a soft armor external vest with plate capability, I've heard Mayflower gear/ Velocity systems LPAAC is the new standard. I have no experience with it though.

My current carrier for work is just a simple bare bones front and rear plate, with rifle mags and medical supplies for things going pear shaped. It fits over my duty gear with no issues and is a quick grab and go if it's needed.
I've only had it out a few times, but I was happy to be wearing it.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Military / medical (I play a medic anyway)........ Need to have front, back, and side plates. Looking for something kind of comfortable since I could be spending some time with it on. Secondary use would be zombies......
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

That being the case, then I would look into either Eagle or London Bridge.
I saw a nice write up for the Eagle Aero model, if I ever went back overseas I think I would go that route for coverage.

Otherwise, the LBT 6094 would be second on the list for me.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I've been using the TT Fight Lite plate carrier for a few years now, courtesy of my man NDOG. Great carrier, tough and comfortable, until you try wearing it sitting in a vehicle. The back padding is a sort of eggs carton shaped, conical pointed pads that dig into your back like a pile of sharp rocks anytime you try to lean back against the seat with it on. Thought over time it would soften up but no luck. Standing, walking, running, it's great, sitting down in a vehicle is a bitch after the first half hour.

I have been looking at Blue Force Gear Plate Minus V2 lately. Pricey but very light and has great reviews all around.

I have some other BFG and it's really well made and extremely lightweight stuff.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Thank you for all the suggestions. Looking at the Blue Force. Will have to see what the budget can be.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

If you do get the BFG let us know what you think about it. It may push me to spend some money on one next year.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

OK so I ordered the BFG PlateMinus V2. They had awesome customer service and once you set up an account and choose mil or LE you get 15%. With another coupon code you can get another 15% off. I used the 2 day shipping so that I could get it before range day. I did not fully set it up for range day as I was just trying it out. I put 6 mag holder on the front and 2 9mm mag holders. Still have a few other things to add to it but nothing that should change it a whole lot. First it is super light. That alone was a HUGE improvement. After looking at it I was afraid the shoulder straps would cut in over time but I wore it for about 8-9 hours only taking it off for a quick lunch break and it was super comfortable. They may be a bit wider than the others which is why it is so comfortable. But with no pads on the shoulder straps it was no problem all day. There is a coating on the inside that makes it wick sweat and kept me pretty cool over all, for everything considered and that was front, back, and both side plates all day. It rides level with a full combat load and doesn't ride up. The MOLLE system looked flimsy at first and I have only used it one day but everything I have read and talked to others about say it holds up really well. Overall for about $250 I think it was great deal. So far the customer service has been great. And if the department is looking to buy some contact them they may be able to help you out. Any questions let me know.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Great update thank you. Everything I've read or heard about them as a company and their gear has been very positive, I'm glad that rings true still.

Have been using some of their pouches for a couple yrs now and I thought they were flimsy/cheap looking when I saw them too, they've held up really well though and still going strong.

I gave up trying to get the dept any equipment. New administration, zero military experience and they could care less about training or equip. It's all about politics again and keeping their fat paychecks as usual. My retirement can't come fast enough.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Grim666
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Grim666 »

Ok follow up on the BFG Plate Carrier for those interested. It has now been with me in a sand box for a little over 4 months. It gets used and abused. Sometimes sitting in a vehicle for a few hours a day, other times just wearing it for hours. It sits on the ground, concrete, in a truck or anywhere else that it is needed. The comfort has not changed. It is still really comfortable. It breaths pretty good all things considered such as a daily temp of 120. There is a little fraying on the bottom of the one side, I think that is probably courtesy of the concrete and other awesome surfaces it has had to sit on at times. I have clipped off the few threads and used a lighter to keep them from continuing to fray. Seems to have worked so far. The Velcro has been great despite all of the sand in, on, and around it. I did pick up a few of the pouches they have as well and again they have all held up to the environment well and are easy to use and light weight. Overall for the cost I have no complaints. If anyone has a specific question let me know and I will try to answer.

Return to “Personal Gear”