Glasses

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Glasses

Post by PerryB »

I have searched to board and I haven't been able to find an answer to a question I have. My son will Graduate OSUT on 5 Aug then head to ABN and then RASP, thoughout basic he has had problems with his glasses fogging up. The BCGs sort of suck. Is there a different type of glasses you would recommend? Or is there some sort of anti fogging spray that I can get him? Can he wear contacts? Any help you all can provide would be great.
Thanks in advance for you help.

Perry
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Glasses

Post by Slowpoke »

Go to your local autoparts store and get the stuff they have for windsheilds. I used to use it in the winter on my welding lens for the same reason. You could also check with your Optometrist and see if he has something.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
ma91c1an
Triple Canopy

Post by ma91c1an »

There are anti-fogging sprays that you can purchase, and they do work.

I think that I used to purchase mine, back before LASIX, from the PX. Been a long time. I no longer remember.
-------
Classes 12, 13, and 14-81.
Company A, 2d Battalion (Ranger), 1st Platoon, "Bad 'Muthers," 1980-1984;
SFQC 4-84.
Company B, 2d Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), ODA 151, 1984-1986.
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Cat Crap. Worked fairly well for Oakley's at least.
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

and he won't be in BCGs forever. he should be able to choose Oakleys or Willlyx with inserts for the field, once he gets ready to head downrange, plus I don't know how many others.

as a pilot who now wears glasses, I get two clear, and two tinted aviator glasses every time I get a new script, plus Oakely M frame inserts. not sure how different it'll be for him as a ground guy.

but he can also go to http://www.usstandardissue.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Oakely's govt. sales site) and once registered buy Oakleys at a significantly reduced price. he can get Rx as well. a set of Rx Wires or similar, with anti-reflective clear lenses ran about $175 last time I looked. RX Oakleys on the economy run about $200-225 plus lenses, and I was told my deal was better than the wholesale price my optometrist could get. so you can send him there to check it out. but he should try them on, and see how they fit (metal Oakleys tend to be heavy) before he buys any online.

can't recommend anything on the anti-fogs, because I try not to sweat anymore. it's bad for the complexion.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Cat Crap. Worked fairly well for Oakley's at least.
ditto
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I wore glasses my entire career. When I retired, the physician who gave me my retirement physical said: "you memorized the eye chart, didn't you" I agreed.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

Cat crap worked for me, and is inexpensive. Here's a link to one place you can buy it: http://www.rei.com/product/623337/ek-ek ... ns-cleaner

Only use automotive windshield products on your glasses if the lenses you have are glass. I can't think of a single ballistic lens that is.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Worldweaver wrote:Cat Crap. Worked fairly well for Oakley's at least.
20+ years ago I used this stuff on my sunglasses and goggles when I taught skiing and was patrolling.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.

Return to “Personal Gear”