Combat Knives

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

H8 Train wrote:I carry a spring loaded benchmade. I love it. If you carry a big knife your are a fucking fag. Except a Gurhka.

You talking BIG,BIG knives or anything other then a folder playa hater?
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

Personally, a fixed blade knife is just another "weapons system" that those going into harms way should have. I really don't think that the type/maker matters that much as long as it is a quality blade. What matters more is how much time you have spent practicing with that system under various conditions/scenarios, everything else is personal preference.

My personal EDC are two knives, a Microtech Mini SOCOM Elite Auto for utility use and a Emerson PSARK for anything else. While neither knife is a fixed blade, the quality of each along with practice allows me to feel secure that i have the means to extricate my self from most situtations ie. those that my P220 or Super 90 can't get me out of.

The idea of a "Presentation Knife" from Randall or another renown knife maker is a great idea, one which my SWAT team used for team members who retired after 10 years on the team. However, the department did not provide financial support for purchasing the knife, we all had to chip in and buy the knife for the retiring team member. This might be something a Plt. might consider for those in the Batt. who get promoted to SP4 or who have been with the Batt. for one year. The presentation of this knife would mark a period of accomplishment for the young Ranger and IMHO contribute to the espirit de corp of the Plt. and its members.
Ranger Knives
Ranger

Post by Ranger Knives »

Some very interesting observations. Although I do have the technology to make the dream of a "Ranger" knife (no pun intended) a reality. 8)
Justin Gingrich
Owner
Ranger Knives

C co 3/75 92-96, 20th SFG 96-98, RTB 98-01
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Ranger Knives wrote:Some very interesting observations. Although I do have the technology to make the dream of a "Ranger" knife (no pun intended) a reality. 8)

So what would be your impression of a dream Knife?

I carried a spiderco POLICE for about 14 12 years untill I got a Benchmade automatic that I have fallin in love with. however on my kit I carry a rather large Gerber (BMF) had sense I was a Pvt .....it is very adept at cutting through thing like the skin of AC small trees and doors.

On My ruck I have carried a tomahawk....(I was in LRSC then) Very handy for camoflage and building hide sites.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Ranger Knives
Ranger

Post by Ranger Knives »

rgrpuck

That is a good question since I don't know that there is such a thing a dream knife. I always had a folder that I carried and a larger fixed blade for the jobs that the folder just couldn't handle. For a fixed blade I would say something 6-7 inch blade so you can chop with it. Yet it isn't too big to carry. Something similar to the RD series but maybe something with a little more belly for better chopping similar to a khukri. I would like to hear your thoughts as well as others here.
Justin Gingrich
Owner
Ranger Knives

C co 3/75 92-96, 20th SFG 96-98, RTB 98-01
BRanger91
Ranger

Post by BRanger91 »

I carried two blades on me in the shit hole. One was an Applegate mini that I had in the map pocket of my chest rig and the other was my Seal Pup which was in my thigh rig. The latter was a glorified MRE opener and all around abuse tool while the former was always there to use as a shank if needed. Also carried a pair of wire cutters. I got the most use out of those when it cam to flex cuffs and cutting demo lines and IED wires.
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
CSEidam
Ranger

Post by CSEidam »

I love this topic.. i love knives... there is no one knife that will suit everything, and two people in the same situation might prefer two different peices of equipment. honestly i carried a throwing axe with a costom sheith over there until my PS decided that he didn't like it and made me take it off my kit, even though it was smaller and lighter than most of the "swords/BFN" others carried. but i always carried a benchmade auto-stryker folder on my belt, so if i had to shed some kit, like broght up in earlier replies, i had my esentials on my person at all times. i think benchmade is the way to go for a perfect knife for overseas without getting into super expensive costoms
Bco 2/75
Apr 2000 - Sep 2003
RS Class 01-01

I miss my brothers!! It's not the same here on the other side!!
FireFox
Embryo

Post by FireFox »

Great thread, anyone ever use a blade from striderknives before? My old platoon sgt loved these but he's the only guy I knew that ever carried one.
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

FireFox wrote:Great thread, anyone ever use a blade from striderknives before? My old platoon sgt loved these but he's the only guy I knew that ever carried one.
If you do a search there was a topic on Strider Knives, I would buy one, there is also a guy selling Ranger Knives I would buy one of those also
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
FireFox
Embryo

Post by FireFox »

They seem to be pretty nice but GAWT DAYUM they cost some change!
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

These are the knives that I always carried:

Gryphon/Terzoula Utility(4" blade) carried on my web-belt
Gerber Guardian carried inverted on the shoulder of my tac-vest
Benchmade AFO carried on my pants belt
Issue machete with hard scabbard on the side of my ruck

I'm a short fucker who weighed 128lbs when I was in; so, bigger knives=more weight I have to carry, and harder for me to handle. I also have a WW1 Trench Knife(circa 1918), looks similar to a Kukri that I have carried. It's great to chop the shit out of small trees and brush, but is too heavy for me to carry and use for an extended time.

The knife I used(and still use) the most was the Terzoula, second in line was the AFO(only because it was on my body, and I couldn't get to it unless I removed my ruck and tac-vest). The Gerber Guardian was really a just-in-case knife with about 25' of camo-net repair line wrapped around the handle and several layers of 100mph tape wrapped around the plastic scabbard. I never used the machete that much because I had to take my ruck off to remove it.

I'd love to have a big-ass knife that looked like it could kill the fuck out of you, but it would just sit in a drawer and be useless to me.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto

Return to “Personal Gear”