OAKLEY

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
snafu
Ranger

Re: OAKLEY

Post by snafu »

Mine got pretty torn up in the Stan from rocks and such...They've made improvements to the soles since I first got mine though. I had to bump up a 1/2 size from my normal boot and that worked for me.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I'm on my 3rd pair - go through about a set per year with moderate usage. I have the 6 inch height cause I don't have the uniform requirement. I was issued them in my last job. Some had problems with the sole splitting, but I never did, and I have a wide and thick foot. They are comfortable, break in immediately, dry quickly. Not very warm at all. I'd say they are a better than average boot for normal wear, but average/below average for hard work. A good road march boot if you spend money on insoles. I wear the same size that I did in green jungles, if that helps. My boy got the intermediate weather boots and they seem to hold up a little better than the temperate weather ones.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I was at the local police supply room recently and saw the Oakleys going for 50.00, down from 120.00 or so.

I asked why and was told that almost every pair they sold were returned for stitching or problems with the soles, etc, even the guy that was selling them told me they are junk, not to waste my money.

I ended up getting a pair of summer weight Danners, extremely comfortable, lightweight and durable. Very pleased with them. No Gortex or anything in them but a dry pair of socks and some foot powder in our vehicle if needed get me through the wet months. Plus, they're Danners. Great reputation.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Barrett
Ranger

Post by Barrett »

There is a difference in Oakley boots dependant on the manufactured location of the boot. US manufactured boots have better stitching around the soles that in my experience tend to hold up better than the non-us versions. In my opinion the boots are comfortable and light, (good for rucking, boot/kit runs, ect) but they are not durable. I destroyed a US pair on my first deployment and then destroyed a non-us pair at RS and then buried them in my hasty fighting position in Florida. I'm happy now with my non-standard Asolo Flames and Salomon Quests. (Rule One - Always look cool)

US version

Offshore version
B CO 1/75 May 08-Present
RS Class 09-09
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Barrett wrote:There is a difference in Oakley boots dependant on the manufactured location of the boot. US manufactured boots have better stitching around the soles that in my experience tend to hold up better than the non-us versions. In my opinion the boots are comfortable and light, (good for rucking, boot/kit runs, ect) but they are not durable. I destroyed a US pair on my first deployment and then destroyed a non-us pair at RS and then buried them in my hasty fighting position in Florida. I'm happy now with my non-standard Asolo Flames and Salomon Quests. (Rule One - Always look cool)
Give me an 8 digit grid coordinate and i'll see if they are still there. :lol:
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Return to “Personal Gear”