T-6 and T-8 boots -- by Garmont / Extreme Outfitters

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
screescrambler
USMC Veteran

Post by screescrambler »

Lately I have seen a couple of apparently new offerings, T-8 desert/jungle boots and T-6 Tactical Boots -- both made by Garmont in partnership with Extreme Outfitters -- advertised on a couple of tactical gear websites. I'd be most grateful for feedback from anybody who's worn either.
Garmont's an Italian bootmaker www.garmont.com or www.garmontusa.com. Extreme Outfitters www.extremeoutfitters.us is a firm with stores in Jacksonville NC and Norfolk VA; I surmise they cater to Marines. What prompted my interest in their boots was my fondness for Garmont's awesome telemark ski boots. I have heard good things about Garmont civilian hiking boots too, but have never worn a pair; always been a Merrill man myself.
I look forward to your appraisals, if any. Thanks.

NOTE Edited by Mod to make the links work
"What the f*** is wrong with you, Private? Do you have a sucking head wound?" - Senior drill instructor, Platoon 1036, MCRD Parris Island, June 1979

USMC reserve 1979-82
USMC 1982-85
Slims

Post by Slims »

I have a pair of t8's that I have worn for about two years now. I love them. They are the only boots that really stay on my feet and provide enough stability that I don't roll my ankles when I have a ruck on.

They have held up well through a lot of abuse and are still going strong.

The only downside I can think of is that mine are slow to put on and take off because they don't have a speed lace system.
screescrambler
USMC Veteran

Garmont T8 product review

Post by screescrambler »

Thanks Greg700.

By the time you posted, I had already decided to try the T8s. I broke 'em in on short hikes -- 1 to 1-1/2 hrs -- three times a week, for a coupla weeks, on moderately hilly dirt roads in the old mining district E of my home. I made it a point to hike briskly with a 50-55 lb ruck: I have learned thru bitter experience that I can't break boots in for load-bearing, without load-bearing. [Maybe we are really talking about breaking in my feet]. Anyway the big test was an overnight hike 2 weeks ago, in extremely rough country, the desert mtns ENE of Phoenix. My ruck probably was 40-45 lb. My route ran at first for probably 4 miles on a jeep trail. In southern AZ, these look inviting from a distance. But they suck to walk on, because they are adapted for jeeps not feet -- always a treacherous surface of fist- to head-sized loose rocks. When my route turned to a foot trail, it nearly disappeared. Well, it was well marked with rock cairns, but the foot path was barely visible due to lack of recent use. So in places, instead of 'hiking' I was just 'bushwhacking' from cairn to cairn.

I was concerned the T8s wouldn't provide enough ankle support in that kind of terrain, but they did fine. They were also very comfortable: I got one puny mild hot spot on the 'bunion' of my R foot-- which I always get, even with my beloved civilian Merrells. At one point, I slipped into a shallow pool I was trying to jump and got 'em both wet; it was as deep as my boot tops so the insides, and my socks, got wet too. However, they dried so quickly that my concern about more and bigger hot spots from wet socks proved baseless.

Because I do sweat through the nylon lining into the leather almost every time I wear them, I have been treating them at least weekly with silicone-based 'Wet-Pruf' spray -- NOT the oil-based goop, obviously. BTW -- the manufacturers at 'Extreme Outfitters' in NC warned me that if I DIDN'T treat them regularly, the leather would crack quickly.

The T8s are a basic design, reminiscent of the traditional jungle boot, only with rough-out leather and something called 'DD diamesh' nylon instead of canvas. http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/index.a ... D=326&HS=1

They are nowhere near as lavishly engineered as, say, the Danner TFX hot weather boot; and are correspondingly cheaper [I paid $100]. I just got a pair of TFXs but haven't started wearing 'em yet, so can't make a direct comparison. As noted above, Rangers Goardheart and DesertSloth are big fans of the TFX. I do have a well-worn pair of the similar Danner 'Pronghorn' boots. Danner seems to go to more elaborate lengths than Garmont to approximate running-shoe technology in the sole and footbed. But that said, so far I have NO complaints about the T8.

One last note: Just like my Garmont telemark boots, the T8s seem to run a little large. I could probably have bought 'em a half-size smaller than usual. But that didn't occur to me, so I ended up putting Dr Scholl foam pads under the mfctr's insole, and that seemed to do the trick.
"What the f*** is wrong with you, Private? Do you have a sucking head wound?" - Senior drill instructor, Platoon 1036, MCRD Parris Island, June 1979

USMC reserve 1979-82
USMC 1982-85
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: T-6 and T-8 boots -- by Garmont / Extreme Outfitters

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Reviving an old thread.

I have had a couple of pairs of Merrell Moabs , but I always found them to be too damn slick on wet surfaces. I decided to look for something breathable (non Goretex) and maybe a little more durable and most importantly, better traction. I think I found what I was looking for in the Garmont T-8. I replaced the Garmont insoles with Superfeet greens and that did the trick. I got them just for walking in the woods, but they are so damn comfortable I find myself wearing them everyday. The only thing that could be better is if they were not Made in China. These are defiantly a major improvement over the O.D. green jungle boots.
Last edited by Flesh Thorn on May 18th, 2011, 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I recently got some Asolo 520s because I do need/like gortex during the winter. Had some Vasques that needed replacing. I like them, very stiff and supportive. Haven't done a good hike yet in em though, just daily wear/light walk break ins
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Re: T-6 and T-8 boots -- by Garmont / Extreme Outfitters

Post by C-MAC »

Two pairs I am relatively happy with;

Danner TFX/GTX. Great everyday boot, sturdy, no break-in, waterproof, etc.. I use them for hiking, rucking, etc. But they are more of a warm weather boot. Not made in USA.

Belleville 880ST - Probably the best boot I have owned. Very sturdy, light (for leather) and more durable than the Danner. Gore-Tex, durable sole and more of a cold/wet-weather boot. Made in USA.

Never owned the Garmont's (not deliberately).
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver

Return to “Personal Gear”