In the Company of Heroes

Moving in and around an area of operations. Helicopters, Bikes, RSOVs, Zodiac's, etc...
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

In the Company of Heroes

Post by AngryPistols »

I wasn't sure where to put this and I guess it loosely qualifies as Ranger Transportation

Anyone read/reading In the Company of Heroes by Mike Durant (pilot/POW in TFR-93)?

This Link to Book

The wife bought the book for me this weekend and so far(1/2 finished), its a pretty good read. Mr. Durant is extremely humble and is careful to give credit to those who came to his aid-hence the title I suppose.

Anyhoow, if anyone's interested, I would recommend it.

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
BRanger91
Ranger

Post by BRanger91 »

Yeah I read the book about six months ago and really enjoyed it. You are right though, Durant really does give credit where it is due. Very humble book.
C co 3/75 91-93 'The Rock'
OIF 04-05
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

I also enjoyed the book.
Moni D

Post by Moni D »

I am reading it for the second time. It's one of the best books I have read and was extremely pleased by Mr Durant's attitude throughout.
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

It is an outstanding book. I just finished it.

Ranger2
Who Do?
Tadpole

Post by Who Do? »

Hell of a book. Traded Band of Brothers for it, and loved every damn page. Not to be confused with "In the Company of Soldiers" ....got tired of the liberal writer floating his boat about how he did this and that, and advised so and so to do this. Good book when he wasn't bashing the Bush administration.
Bishop

Post by Bishop »

Looks like I find my my next book to read. Thanks.

I read Band of Brothers and enjoyed it.
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Bishop wrote:Looks like I find my my next book to read. Thanks.

I read Band of Brothers and enjoyed it.
Bishop,

You might also like Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides. It is about LTC Henry Mucci and the 6th Ranger Battalion's liberation of the Cabanatuan POW Camp in WWII. If you have heard of the Bataan Death March, this was the POW's destination afterward.

It is a fascinating story and I hear this is supposed to be released as a movie in '04 with Mark Canseuco(sp?) as Col. Mucci.

Angry
Angry

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Have not had the courage to read the book. Met with Durant, and told him "Thank You" based on what my Ranger buddies told me. I own it, and will most likely start reading it around October. I hear he tells it like it is..
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Looks like another book to add to my collection for deer hunting.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
the_machine
Tadpole

Post by the_machine »

haven't read it yet and i hope that i don't offend anyone here by mentioning this...I finally read "Blackhawk Down" and all I have to say is...

Damn
11-M(B co. 3/15 inf, 24th inf)

Why did I re-enlist?...the scenery changes, the pay is good and i get to play with dynamite.
Runner
Ranger

Post by Runner »

This is possibly the best book I have ever read. I'm half way through it and it is pretty graphic, he pulls no punches. What I found most shocking is how he's treated after he's captured. His captors actually cared for him and joked with him as much as they could considering they speak different languages.

Malarkey
A co 3/75 '07-'10
Rgr_MindRiot

Post by Rgr_MindRiot »

Classic example of how one moment in time can change life as you know it, and you will never be the same afterward. All things happen for a purpose i guess so i'm glad that he is moving forward with people who care about him and understand what he has experienced.

~S~ MD
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

I saw an interview with Mr. Durant on one of our local stations(KSAT12) and it appears that his humble demeanor is evident in the interview as well as the book.

Angry
Angry

Return to “Ranger Transportation”