Spinosaurus Intro

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Spinosaurus
Egg

Spinosaurus Intro

Post by Spinosaurus »

Hello All,

I recently ETSed from the Army Reserve. I enlisted as a high school junior in 2006 under split-options; I did basic during the summer between junior and senior year and AIT after graduation from high school the following summer. I was a mechanic (91B) and drilled at my unit in CA from 2007-2012. After high school, I worked a for a couple years before deciding to go to college and I am now in my final year at the University of California, where I am studying history. Although being a reservist had its merits and I got the chance to attend such a beautiful university, in the back of my mind, I always had some regret of not going active duty from the beginning. My goals in the near future are to graduate, and secure a slot at OCS, where I may have a chance at being on active duty. I hope to learn more about Rangers and the Army as a member of this community.

Best,

SPC Spinosaurus
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Spinosaurus Intro

Post by Jim »

Spinosarus, If you are interested in becoming a Ranger, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men who pass through armyranger.com on their life journey, Frankly, our focus is on preparing them for entry level service in the 75th Ranger Regiment. You are certainly welcome. Please tell us more about yourself. Did you deploy? What are your goals? Where do you go to school? Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Spinosaurus
Egg

Post by Spinosaurus »

Hello Ranger Jim, I unfortunately never deployed in support of either OIF or OEF. I am 23, currently in my last year at the University of California and am set to graduate during the spring with a BA in modern American history. I would like to attend OCS and commission into active duty, because frankly, being a Soldier was all I ever wanted to do. I would be ecstatic if I could get the opportunity to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, but now I am just taking things one step at a time and focusing on finishing my degree and my OCS packet.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Spinosaurus.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Spinosaurus wrote:Hello Ranger Jim, I unfortunately never deployed in support of either OIF or OEF. I am 23, currently in my last year at the University of California and am set to graduate during the spring with a BA in modern American history. I would like to attend OCS and commission into active duty, because frankly, being a Soldier was all I ever wanted to do. I would be ecstatic if I could get the opportunity to serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment, but now I am just taking things one step at a time and focusing on finishing my degree and my OCS packet.
What branches are you planning to request. You request three and get one based on your class standing. Tell us more about your military experience.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Spinosaurus
Egg

Post by Spinosaurus »

Most certainly, Ranger Jim

Optimally, I would like to serve within a combat arms branch, preferably in the infantry. If I can attend OCS, my top three branch choices would be infantry, armor and artillery. My college grades are above average, and I have done academic research in my field. My APFT scores fluctuate from 270-290, and my weakest event is the push up. As for my military service, I enlisted with my mother's consent at 17, went to basic at Fort Sill that summer, then finished high school the following year and was shipped to AIT at Fort Jackson, where I classed as a 63B (designation later converted to 91B). Upon completing AIT, I drilled monthly at my unit until my ETS early in the summer of 2012. Monthly battle assemblies usually composed of classroom Powerpoint presentations, moving stuff around, or maintaining humvees and LMTVs in the motorpool if they had been used earlier. Basic training and AIT were the only schools I attended while in the Army Reserve and I left at the rank of SPC.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, I can tell you that when you graduate from OCS, you will be in a unique pay-scale that is seldom noticed. It is for prior service enlisted personnel with over four years for pay purposes who are commissioned. A 2LT (the term is O-1E) is paid more than a standard 1LT. I was a SSG with over six years service,when I was commisioned. In those days (1971) we still paid cash on payday. I got to be paymaster so I saw everyone's pay voucher. I was making more than the first Sergeant as well as the company commander. Life is good!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Introduction Archive”