A couple quick questions

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

kfish1214
Egg

A couple quick questions

Post by kfish1214 »

Hello, my name is Kara and my boyfriend recently started Ranger school on Feb 28th. I really want to try and make it to his graduation, but because I'm pretty unfamiliar with military things (other than what he tells me) I'm not sure how to do this or get the needed information. I know there is a big chance he will recycle so I'm not looking to buy my tickets yet, but I can't be guaranteed that I will get a chance to talk to him before he finishes. Will he have time to talk to me and/or his family between the time he finishes and the time he graduates? And is the graduation at Fort Benning? Pardon my ignorance, but I hope some of you can help :) Thanks!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: A couple quick questions

Post by Jim »

Hi Kara, we require that each person submit an introduction as your initial entry. I took the liberty of moving you to the correct thread. That said, please tell us more, where do you live and what class is your boyfriend attending? Frequently, students get recycled (I went throught he mountain phase twice) and this may make planning for his graduation difficult. You are certainly welcome here, and there are a number of others on the site who can be more helpful than I ever could.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Thank you for supporting your soldier.
Graduation, if he gets there, will be at Ft Benning. Columbus, GA is your airport. Graduates from this century will have to help you with the phone call question. Flexibility will be the hallmark of your relationship with an active duty soldier.

Meanwhile, take the brown sleeve from a Hershey's chocolate bar, place it in an envelope and mail it to him. He will always remember you for that. :twisted:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Elguapo
Ranger

Post by Elguapo »

He will be able to call you at the end of each phase. At the end of the final phase, there are a few days after used for turning in gear and such. He can call you then to confirm.

I realize buying tickets earlier rather that later saves money, but you'll be out of luck if you buy them early and he recycles. Just something to consider.
USAR 04-05
TXARNG 05-Present

OEF 08-09
HOA '12

RS 5-10
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

K.Ingraham wrote:Thank you for supporting your soldier.
Graduates from this century will have to help you with the phone call question.
You did mean this millennium, right? :twisted:
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

al_2ndWolfhounds wrote:
K.Ingraham wrote:Thank you for supporting your soldier.
Graduates from this century will have to help you with the phone call question.
You did mean this millennium, right? :twisted:
Either way, we're still a lot older than this lady's stud. And thank you for pushing me way down this websites age bell curve. :P
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

My son graduated last September. Yes he will get a phone call between phases whether he makes it through or recycles. However the line for the phones is long so if he's the self sacrificing type, he may give up his spot for someone he feels needs the home contact more than he does. Ok, so my son took the long scenic route and recycled well lets say a few times. Lessons learned - you can't really buy tickets ahead. If your area is served by AirTran airlines, I found them to be the most reasonable. When you buy the ticket get the cancel for any reason insurance just in case. Grad is at Fort Benning. The week of Graduation, you will be allowed to pick him up and return him to post several days - like Wed afternoon, Thursday and then of course after Grad he's yours for a bit. Mine did not get leave immediately. So he will likely have to return to his post rather than travelling home with you. Don't plan a bunch of touristy things for his time with you, he is exhausted, a little out of it, and hungry. Bring food - Krispy Cremes - a bunch to share with other starving students, candy, mine requested monster drinks, and whatever fits in your trunk! It will be snarfed in seconds and greatly appreciated. Find where you're going on post well ahead of time - it's easy to get turned around and the front gate info office acts like they've never heard of Rangers. I personally think they enjoy watching parents and family wander around lost. Good luck to your soldier!! It's an experience he will never replicate in his life and wouldn't want to if you paid him a gazillion bucks but it will let him explore just how much he wants it and then some.
I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Check out this site.

https://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/rtb/

It has info on it, and a number to call. You will want to call the one for "Staff Duty".
Graduations are typically on Friday. If you come down a day or two early, they usually allow visitors to bring chow the night before graduation.
Furious George
Ranger

Post by Furious George »

I love you Rangermom!!! I wish you were my mom when I went to Ranger School...it would have saved me money on the cab on the way to the PX then Burger King on the way to Ryan's Steakhouse, where I did four laps around the food bar...oh, wait...that was just my 6 hour break! Good times, indeed!
A Co. 2/504 ('86-'87)
Recon Plt. 2/504 ('88-'90)
Operation Just Cause

RS 14-88
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

Furious George wrote:I love you Rangermom!!! I wish you were my mom when I went to Ranger School...it would have saved me money on the cab on the way to the PX then Burger King on the way to Ryan's Steakhouse, where I did four laps around the food bar...oh, wait...that was just my 6 hour break! Good times, indeed!
oh yes, we took our Ranger out to eat and he ordered some sort of huge cookie and icecream with chocolate topping - the waiter brought three spoons so we each had one but our Ranger had the plate directly in front of him, head bowed, and shovelling commenced until it was gone. At one point my husband said, "I believe the waiter thought we might share it but I don't think he's planning to give us a bite." We didn't get any but it was great entertainment watching him devour it.
I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Hi Kara,
Welcome to ArmyRanger.com
Thankyou for supporting your soldier and thankyou to you soldier for his service. If yor warrior passes Ranger school and you do get to head to FT. Benning, shoot me a PM as we have ladies in place in Ga. that can meet up with you when you get there and help you find your way. To better learn about the Rangering mindset and lifestyle, this is definately the place to be. Got a great support system here, as well as a ladies forum better known as the "fox hole" where you can pop in and chat with the other ladies here. Adain welcome.

Return to “Introduction Archive”