Intro-Furious George

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Furious George
Ranger

Intro-Furious George

Post by Furious George »

Hello to all,

I served in 2/504th P.I.R. from '86-'90. I started out as a Dragon gunner in A Co., then to the M-60 (loved the pig!) and finally to a rifle squad. One day on an FTX, I saw a bunch of guys wearing patrol caps and had ghillie on their rucks (huge ones, not the lunchbox size one I was issued). I asked someone who they were and he replied, "Oh, that's Recon...they're crazy." Right after the FTX, I walked into their CP. The first words out of the platoon sergeant's mouth were, "Are you looking for a job?" After saying yes, I was asked if I was willing to go to Ranger School. I said yes and was told that it was mandatory in order to be in the platoon. He told me that I could get recycled as many times as it took me to graduate, but that if I quit, he would Article-15 my ass, and kick me out of Recon. So, a few months down the road, I'm in the platoon, got a class date and headed off to Benning, as part of class 14-88. This was a cohort class, which meant that everyone in my platoon was from the 82nd. Twelve out of forty-two of us were 1st time go's (me included). Desert Phase at Dugway was still around (that water there was horrible!)

In Recon, the Ranger Handbook was our bible (still have mine) and we trained to Ranger standards everyday.

I took part in Operation Just Cause, jumping onto Torrijos Airport at 0210 hrs. at 500 ft., just after the Batt. boys jumped in. That was the first combat jump for the 82nd, since WWII. I made a perfect 3-point landing: feet, ass, head.

(Editorial note: We landed just east of the tarmac, in the swamp, because those Air Force pukes veered off course and we had to make our way in to secure the southern end of the airfield.)

I got out in June of '90, to go to college and two months later, my unit got deployed to Desert Shield. I went to the recruiter's office and tried to get back in, but they had a ban on prior service at the time, so that was a no go.

I want to thank all of you for your service-past, present and future, as well as supporters.

Rangers Lead the Way

G.
A Co. 2/504 ('86-'87)
Recon Plt. 2/504 ('88-'90)
Operation Just Cause

RS 14-88
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro-Furious George

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Ranger.

PM inbound.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Welcome Ranger.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site . . .site down and stay awhile.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Furious George wrote:I took part in Operation Just Cause, jumping onto Torrijos Airport at 0210 hrs. at 500 ft., just after the Batt. boys jumped in. That was the first combat jump for the 82nd, since WWII. I made a perfect 3-point landing: feet, ass, head.

(Editorial note: We landed just east of the tarmac, in the swamp, because those Air Force pukes veered off course and we had to make our way in to secure the southern end of the airfield.)

G.

While I appreciate your service to our great nation and gladly welcome you here......... you MIGHT want to get your facts straight on the above. WAAAYYY too many OJC Rangers on this board for that BS. Save it for the bar. :|
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Furious George
Ranger

Post by Furious George »

colt1rgr wrote:
Furious George wrote:I took part in Operation Just Cause, jumping onto Torrijos Airport at 0210 hrs. at 500 ft., just after the Batt. boys jumped in. That was the first combat jump for the 82nd, since WWII. I made a perfect 3-point landing: feet, ass, head.

G.

While I appreciate your service to our great nation and gladly welcome you here......... you MIGHT want to get your facts straight on the above. WAAAYYY too many OJC Rangers on this board for that BS. Save it for the bar. :|

Not quite sure what part of that quote you think is BS...please clarify...thanks.
A Co. 2/504 ('86-'87)
Operation Just Cause

RS 14-88
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

colt1rgr wrote:

G.

Gotta concure with Furious Geo on this one. I was with A/1-504PIR for 'Just Cause' . I was in the habit back then of always wearing my watch on the inside of my wrist (some light discipline, easier to read in the prone and mostly for jump ops) When I exited said aircraft that morning, once canopy popped and I gained riser control, I always glance at my watch. Time = 0210! Landed in the swamp on east of tarmac as well. Soooooo, gotta wonder about the comment. Unless I am also full of shit!

Furious George, welcome here. I was a staff officer in 2-504 before Nix tapped me for A/1-504. Had the company about a month before that op.
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Gordo173 wrote:
colt1rgr wrote:

G.

Gotta concure with Furious Geo on this one. I was with A/1-504PIR for 'Just Cause' . I was in the habit back then of always wearing my watch on the inside of my wrist (some light discipline, easier to read in the prone and mostly for jump ops) When I exited said aircraft that morning, once canopy popped and I gained riser control, I always glance at my watch. Time = 0210! Landed in the swamp on east of tarmac as well. Soooooo, gotta wonder about the comment. Unless I am also full of shit!

Furious George, welcome here. I was a staff officer in 2-504 before Nix tapped me for A/1-504. Had the company about a month before that op.

Wasn't debating the time of the jump or the location of the drop, believe me "I know" (just trust me on that one). And "YES Bones, from my recollection, you are full of shit!", but that has nothing to do with Junior's post. :lol:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
RangerTee
Ranger

Post by RangerTee »

Welcome, Ranger...
"War is an extension of politics by other means" - Carl Phillip Gottfried von Clausewitz - "On War"

http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
U.D. for VII Corps LRRP, C/58 LRP, B/75 RGR for 75th Ranger.Regt.Assn.

Class 2-73
B/75: 72-74
Co.B,1st Ranger Bn.: 74-75
Div.Pathfinders-T.L.,101st Abn.
75thRRA.L.M.#1820
D.A.V. Life Member (75-current)
Furious George
Ranger

Post by Furious George »

Gordo173 wrote:
colt1rgr wrote:

G.

Thanks for having my back Ranger Gordo173...sent you a PM
A Co. 2/504 ('86-'87)
Operation Just Cause

RS 14-88
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Welcome.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."

Return to “Introduction Archive”