Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Mwalimu
Ranger

Introduction

Post by Mwalimu »

I don't know the class number but I started RS either on the 2nd or 3rd of July 1968. I remember the dates because I recall thinking that we'd get a day off for the 4th of July - boy was I mistaken. I was from the 12th SFGA out on the west coast. My Ranger Buddy was originally a big Russian kid, Ocyktun, or something similar from 3 SFGA outta Bragg and then later another SGT from the 7th, Jim Perris or Parris (would be interested in hearing anything about him). Our Ranger class leader was Ranger (Major) Foley.

I stayed in the reserves off and on (punctuated by trips overseas for consulting jobs) until 87 or so. Back then anyone below the rank of SSG was automatically promoted one rank after coming out of RS and I got my first rocker until getting back to my reserve unit and having it taken away - they gave it to me a little while on though.

We had 2 guys killed in Florida from lighting probably sometime middle August. One was a shake-and-bake (product of the Instant NCO school at Benning) named Bowden. A side effect of his death was that a Marine in our class, Campbell, had left his class A's in Bowden's locker back at Benning and the supply sergeant had boxed up any and everything in Bowden's locker and shipped it off to his next of kin. When we got back to Benning, Campbell didn't have anything to wear until he borrowed something from another Marine (ill-fitting at best). Campbell complained to the SS saying "Didn't you think it was strange to send a Marine uniform off to a soldier's relatives? "SATS" was the reply.

I don't know how you guys verify any of this stuff but I'd enjoy hearing from anyone else in that class!
Maggot275
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Maggot275 »

Welcome FOG. Someone else from the dinosaur age will be around to help you out. You're buying.
Attack CO 2/75 01/94-12/98
Ranger Class 08-95

I then asked the Lord: "Why was there only one set of footprints?"
He answered: "The terrain was beginning to constrict and our hit time was coming close. So I put us in a Ranger file."

VII
XXII
MMV
HakweeRgr
Ranger

Post by HakweeRgr »

Welcome to the site! There are a few guys here from your time frame. I'm sure they will be along shortly.
B Co., 3/75th, '91-'96 "THE" Token
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 93

Mentor to dbh (1/75), FreshMeat(1/75),Mata Leao(2/75)
Zach2011(1/75), Runna22(2/75), Papa84(3/75)
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome fellow FOG.

You will probably be verified the same way I was by The Old Guy. Your Class number will probably be in the low range of __-69 since your class was in fiscal year 69.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

WELCOME HOME!
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Welcome here, FOG.

Glad to have ya.

Huh........I was one year old when ya got your Tab ! :shock:
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ZoneIV wrote:
Mwalimu wrote:I recall thinking that we'd get a day off for the 4th of July - boy was I mistaken.
Hell....I spent my 23rd Birthday down in Florida in some swamp. I thought they would give me the day off or at least a c-ration pound cake with a candle. :lol:

Welcome to the site Ranger.
I turned 28 on the truck to Mountain Ranger Camp. At least we got plenty of sleep. Welcome Ranger.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Don't let these you punks give you any trouble about age. It is always great to have another FOG join the PB. Thanks for your service to our great country!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Mwalimu
Ranger

Post by Mwalimu »

I'm guessing that "FOG" means "fucking old guy", so correct if the guess is wrong. Thanks for the welcomeness guys! I still try to do the Army daily dozen 4 or 5 times a week along with a bit of jogging and biking.
Mwalimu
Ranger

Post by Mwalimu »

Yeah, you're right. The right spelling is "lightning". I was a summer Ranger, went through July and August. Not sure I would have made it in the winter. The joke back then was that winter Rangers got to sew their tab on with white thread. I remember needing "anti-shades" during moonless nights in the Mountain phase. There were many nights when I fell asleep marching and waking up falling over a downed tree. Back then you had to get a passing grade on 50% of your patrols when you had a leadership position. I can't imagine that it's any easier nowadays.

Return to “Introduction Archive”