Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

GoBlackBears
Embryo

Introduction

Post by GoBlackBears »

Good evening Rangers,

I'm a 68W in training here at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. I enlisted without the Option 40 contract or even Airborne because of a birth defect in my left eye. Fortunately I've done some research and found out that I do in fact meet the AR 40-501 medical standards for Airborne and Ranger, so instead of pursuing a medical waiver I'm just going to submit a packet. With any luck I'll be off to RIP this summer.

I have two and a half years of college under my belt at the University of Maine, which is where I am from, as an English major and German minor. Life got boring and the economy sank so I sought a career and job training in the one organization I had always wanted to be a part of.

I enlisted with the intention of going into a specialized branch of the Army. I didn't have any excuse except that I thought I was capable of being among the best. Ever since BCT I've been trying to out-perform all of my peers and push myself as far as possible. I don't want to sound arrogant, but training has been way to easy so far and I'm disappointed that so many dirt bags have made it as far as I have with little effort while I bust my ass, not because I have to, but because I want to.

So now I really want to be in the Rangers, for the challenge, for the prestige, for the honor, but most of all for the chance to serve with soldiers that have skill, integrity, determination and a desire to be better. Anything less and I'll be sorely disappointed.
68W - Medic
@ RIP starting 7/17/09
FIST TEAM LTR
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by FIST TEAM LTR »

GoBlackBears wrote:Good evening Rangers,

I'm a 68W in training here at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. I enlisted without the Option 40 contract or even Airborne because of a birth defect in my left eye. Fortunately I've done some research and found out that I do in fact meet the AR 40-501 medical standards for Airborne and Ranger, so instead of pursuing a medical waiver I'm just going to submit a packet. With any luck I'll be off to RIP this summer.

I have two and a half years of college under my belt at the University of Maine, which is where I am from, as an English major and German minor. Life got boring and the economy sank so I sought a career and job training in the one organization I had always wanted to be a part of.

I enlisted with the intention of going into a specialized branch of the Army. I didn't have any excuse except that I thought I was capable of being among the best. Ever since BCT I've been trying to out-perform all of my peers and push myself as far as possible. I don't want to sound arrogant, but training has been way to easy so far and I'm disappointed that so many dirt bags have made it as far as I have with little effort while I bust my ass, not because I have to, but because I want to.

So now I really want to be in the Rangers, for the challenge, for the prestige, for the honor, but most of all for the chance to serve with soldiers that have skill, integrity, determination and a desire to be better. Anything less and I'll be sorely disappointed.
Most of us came out of the womb with a static line in one hand and a K-bar in the other. Good Luck.
1st Ranger Bn HHC 1978-81
A Company FIST Team
RGR Class 9-79
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site, BlackBear. Hope you like the name change. :lol:
Glad to hear that you are looking to switch over to the Ranger World. It's a great place to call home.

In case your wish comes true, you need to enjoy San Antonio while you can. Life at Benning won't be so nice.

Good luck with your transfer.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
GoBlackBears
Embryo

Post by GoBlackBears »

Getting my airborne physical this week then submitting my packet! My sergeant is optimistic that I'll be accepted once it's in, I have good PT scores, passed the NREMT and have a very high GPA so I'm hoping for the best! Got pretty lucky too because my first sergeant and commander don't allow soldiers to put in airborne or ranger packets, something about them being stuck on Ft. Sam as holdovers... I just happened to ask the right sergeant and he hooked me up. I'm very grateful and will not spoil this opportunity.
68W - Medic
@ RIP starting 7/17/09
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and keep us posted regarding Airborne and RIP.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome...

There are some very good Ranger Medics on the board. They should be along shortly.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Welcome Young Soldier. Stay energetic, focused and committed to your path, wherever it may lead. Do not compare yourself with lesser men; strive to become the best you can.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
smokn38
Paratrooper

Post by smokn38 »

Welcome.
HHC 1/508th Panama 1989-1990
HHC and A Co 1/505th 1990-1992
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

GoBlackBears wrote:Getting my airborne physical this week then submitting my packet! My sergeant is optimistic that I'll be accepted once it's in, I have good PT scores, passed the NREMT and have a very high GPA so I'm hoping for the best! Got pretty lucky too because my first sergeant and commander don't allow soldiers to put in airborne or ranger packets, something about them being stuck on Ft. Sam as holdovers... I just happened to ask the right sergeant and he hooked me up. I'm very grateful and will not spoil this opportunity.
Well, while your hanging around, if you run into inter06, who would not listen before signing a contract....put him in touch with the Sergeant who has the hook up. He's a physical stud with a high GPA and I'm sure he will pass any test.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

Welcome and good luck with your quest.
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com and good luck with your journey.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Welcome to the site.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
GoBlackBears
Embryo

Post by GoBlackBears »

Well it's been a 20 week long trip but I'm finally a certified combat medic and I just got confirmation that my packet was approved and my orders have me going to Airborne School followed by RIP. Before they changed I had orders to go to Smith Barracks, Germany and that was the #1 spot on my dream sheet but I cant wait to finally get some high quality training instead. Right now I'm maxing my pushups and situps for the 21 age group but my 2 mile run is at 14:10. I can do 8 pullups perfectly, swim, and ruck well above the IET standards. I have the creed and history down, working on some of the knots. I've read the handbook a couple times now... I know I'm not a PT machine but I'm ready to go. There should be about 6 of us coming out of Ft. Sam on the 19th and I have a good feeling we'll all be there in the end... hell or high water I'll be one of them.

By the way, I'll try to point inter06 in the right direction. Thanks for the support, Rangers, I'll keep updating.
68W - Medic
@ RIP starting 7/17/09

Return to “Introduction Archive”