My Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Tactical Tracker
Ranger

My Introduction

Post by Tactical Tracker »

I was looking for some old friends from 1st PLT A co 2/75 (89-92) and I found this site. I'll be damned.

Anyhow, I was in the previously referenced platoon. I stared in 2nd squad with SGT Carnahan as my squad leader and Sgt Luplow as my team leader. Sam Puentes was/is my Ranger buddy. We went from RIP to being stationed in the same squad and team. My first night in battalion, SPC Brindle made me beat up some poor private that wandered into out platoon area. He was from some other company.

SFC Dante was the Platoon Sergeant at the time, and he was one of the finest men and Rangers I've ever known. It was sad when he broke his back on a jump and had to leave.

I went from 2nd squad to being LT Ford's RTO. I RTO'd for LT's Ford, Lozniak and Burnette. Eaton was the Platoon Sergeant's RTO and we roomed together for a while.

After my blow-out ventral hernia and consequent surgeries and con-leave, we went to Ocean Venture '91 where I succeeded in breaking a couple ribs when I fell flat on my face under a 118lb ruck full of my personal gear, commo gear and platoon spare commo gear (nods, batteries, MX300's, more batteries, URC101, KY57, more batteries, etc). I also succeeded in putting the rear site aperture of my CAR15 (that's dated) through my top lip, to my teeth.

I made it to the HQ rally point with a 60 gunner and 90 gunner. The 90 gunner was SPC Thompson. The story goes on and on from there. Many of us got banged up on that one because of 24kt plus winds. The wind didn't bother me as much as running in the dark a tripping like a moron. We did the whole exercise and I got some treatment when we got back to Hunter, prior to leaving for Lewis.

After that con-leave, I went to 1st Squad with SGT Kennedy as my squad leader and SGT Brumgard as my team leader. I was having fun in the Regiment up to that point.

After a hand full of acting Platoon Sergeants, we ended up with SFC Smith, from Regimental HQ. There was a reason a SFC from Regimental HQ came to our platoon. Anyone that was there at the time knows the story/stories. It had to do with the "hooligan and brigand" clause of the regimental formation declaration I'm sure. Sam Puentes actually got to the bottom of the whole thing when he was a Platoon Sergeant in C co with Smith as the 1st SGT. Interesting story.

I never made it to ranger school. I was close before the hernia, and then they gave me the Ranger School PT tests when I came back from my second con-leave. Needless to say, I didn't make that one. I'm still F'N pissed about that!

An unfortunate and stupid chain of events created by a few newbees in my squad caused the Battalion/Regimental hammer to come down on half of my squad as well as the Maggot squad. I ended up down the road as an Intel NCO before getting out of the Army within a few months.

I met my wife at a phone booth in Tacoma while in the Regiment. When I got out we got married and live in Port Angeles, Washington. We've been married for 15 years and have two little boys.

I'm currently a Patrol Sergeant with the Clallam County Sheriff's Office and have been there for 13 years. I'm back in school working on my BA and hopefully my masters too. I just recently became one of the cadre for the Tactical Tracking Operations School of Mesquite Nevada. It's the same group that puts on the Combat Tracker School at Fort Huachuka. Check out the history of the trackers of the Rhodesian light infantry and Selous Scouts. They were incredible. Read the book The Scatterlings of Africa for some incredible insight.

I never saw combat, went to Ranger School and got out of the Army as a tabless SPC4. I have a ton of respect for everyone that has been able to stick it out in the Regiment for any length of time. It's a hard life, no doubt. I have even more respect for those who've stayed in and moved up the chain or off to SF, Delta, became warrant officers, etc. For you all that have seen combat and are currently serving in this war, thank you and we think about you and pray for you regularly.

PM me and I'll give you my cellular number. I talk to Sam Puentes on a yearly basis. Last time I talked to him he was on his way back to Iraq on his third tour. He's a warrant officer and OH58 pilot now. I'm trying to talk him into working where I do when he gets out.

Darrell Nelson, AKA Barney Rubble, from B co 2/75 and former 3/75 Ranger works for Sequim PD, which is also one of our Sheriff's Detachment offices. I see him regularly if anyone's looking for him.

I hope this was enough of an intro. I didn't read any others.

Grant L.
Lightfoot
1st Platoon (Bad Muthers) A Co. 2/75 89-92
1st Squad
2nd Squad
PL's RTO (Ford, Lozniak, Burnette)

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men, and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter--Be a man among men and Join the Rhodesian Army.
Tactical Tracker
Ranger

One More thing.......

One more thing. There is no way that I would be doing what I'm doing now, or have had any degree of success in what I've done in my life, had it not been from the training and experiences that I had as a Ranger at 2/75.
Lightfoot
1st Squad
2nd Squad

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men, and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter--Be a man among men and Join the Rhodesian Army.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Tactical Tracker

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Ranger

PM inbound.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Howdy
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

Welcome Badmuther.

It has been a long time.
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Tactical Tracker
Ranger

Re: Tracker

Shamrock wrote:How's old David Scott anyway? Still keeping people on their toes?
Yes he is, although I've never met him. I work on the Law Enforcement side with the Chief Law Enforcement Trainer, Jon Frantzen. The school is split into two divisions now.

The Tactical Tracker Challenge is October 2-3 in Moses Lake. David is supposed to be there to speak and mingle during social hour(s). I've heard a lot of his stories and I hope he doesn't plan on making anyone eat a week-old-dead baboon or anything. I hear you can boil them once. Twice, not so good.

There are supposed to be teams coming from all over, including other countries both law enforcement and military. There's some pretty high speed guys on the military side.
Lightfoot
1st Squad
2nd Squad

Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Welcome here, we served during the same time at 2/75

I used to hear the screams of pain coming from your barracks. I remember thinking to myself, thank God I'm in C Co 8)

I spent a lot of time in the banana belt where you live. Mike Hebert from 2/75 was from Sequim and we used to head up there almost every weekend. I used to shoot with Chuck and Matt at sunnydell farms (Chuck =Olympic skeet coach and all around Jedi, Matt = Olympic Gold medalist in skeet). In the Fall, Mike and I would guide rich Seattleites on Pheasant hunts out there. Those fuckers couldn't shoot to save their lives so over the years Mike and I had a whole crapload of Pheasant to hunt in the mountains every year.

Good times.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
LRP1
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by LRP1 »

Welcome Ranger!!!
HHC 2/502 Recondo 66 -67 RVN
1FFV Echo LRP 20th INF (ABN) 67 - 68
Team 1 1
Satan's Playboys
From Hell We Rise
B Co Omega Recon CCS RT Hammer
75Th RRA Life Member 2189
Special Operations Association Member 2907-GA
Secretary, Worldwide Army Rangers, Inc

Professional Soldiers Are Predictable; The World Is full Of Dangerous Amateurs.
Tactical Tracker
Ranger

Re: Tracker

Shamrock wrote:How's old David Scott anyway? Still keeping people on their toes?
Sent you a PM with a little more about David.
Lightfoot
1st Squad
2nd Squad

Tactical Tracker
Ranger

Charlie 51 wrote:Welcome here, we served during the same time at 2/75

I used to hear the screams of pain coming from your barracks. I remember thinking to myself, thank God I'm in C Co 8)

I spent a lot of time in the banana belt where you live. Mike Hebert from 2/75 was from Sequim and we used to head up there almost every weekend. I used to shoot with Chuck and Matt at sunnydell farms (Chuck =Olympic skeet coach and all around Jedi, Matt = Olympic Gold medalist in skeet). In the Fall, Mike and I would guide rich Seattleites on Pheasant hunts out there. Those fuckers couldn't shoot to save their lives so over the years Mike and I had a whole crapload of Pheasant to hunt in the mountains every year.

Good times.
Chuck and Matt are still around. Matt's not quite what he used to be when he was winning gold medals at the Olympics. He's got some issues with at least one substance. I think he may be getting himself under control. He had some run-ins with the law too. Oh well, it happens.

Sunnydell is still a busy place. They don't raise pheasants or dogs anymore. All they do is shoot and teach.

Do you remember or know "Bucknagel" Mike Buchanan. He was in El Guapo's squad. We were buds before we went in the Army. I wanted to bone his sister.

I went in first and when I came home from RIP, he was just about ready to leave. He was in C co for quite a while. He's a Lieutenant with the Olympia Fire Department that last I heard. My mom sees him every now and then.

Talk to you later.
Lightfoot
1st Squad
2nd Squad

Tactical Tracker
Ranger

rgrpuck wrote:Welcome Badmuther.

It has been a long time.
I just spent a long time staring at your avatar. What the hell is wrong with me! Thanks and its good to hear from you.
Lightfoot
1st Squad
2nd Squad

IDon'tCare
Ranger

Post by IDon'tCare »

Welcome Ranger.
A co 2/75 80-84
Ranger class 12-82
SERE Instructor class 1-83

Mentor to Prodigy922 / KW12 / whiskeytango
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Superb introduction. Welcome...