Intro - Wabbit

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Wabbit
US Army

Intro - Wabbit

Post by Wabbit »

Hello all,
Well, here goes my intro. I joined the reserves in Cincinnati, 377th MP Co. as an MP in 1987 while still in high school (split-op) with the intent of going active after I graduated. I chose MP because I had no idea what else to do with my life and the recruiter made it sound cool. Did basic and AIT at Ft. McClellan, AL, did an AT in Honduras and then went active in March of 1989, straight to the 109th MP Co., Frankfurt, Germany.

Went to Desert Storm in 90-91, then back to Frankfurt for a few months and PCS'ed to Ft. Bragg, NC, 108th MP Co. (Air Assault) (this was before it also became Airborne). Lots of fun there, including Honor Grad at Air Assault school, a trip to Gitmo to do riot control during the Haitian Migration, and South Florida for Hurricane Andrew relief.

Decided I wanted to be a civilian cop, so I ETS'ed in 1993, moved to Florida and became a civilian cop. Being on the SRT and starting the gang investigations unit were the high points, but finally decided I had enough and quit in 1999. Moved to Denver and started a new career in computers. Better hours, better pay and I haven't been to the E.R. once.

I was in the reserves until 1997, then got out. In mid-2001 I rejoined the Reserves to help a new MP detatchment train up a SRT team in preparation for the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Then 9-11 happened, and I knew we'd be in for a long haul. In March of 2001, our unit was activated for Iraq, and we did 13 months on active duty. I was assigned as an investigator, so I worked out of Kuwait, and into Iraq, and we also were in Saudi Arabia.

When we got back in 2004, I was pretty frustrated so I figured I'd try the Navy Reserve for awhile. Nice group of guys, but it felt too much like a wimpy version of the boy scouts, so after 1 year, I came back to the Army reserve. I am now an instructor in a unit that teaches BRM and such to the cadets at West Point every year. It's a great unit and I am happy to be here, even if I'm not too impressed with our current mission.

We have a new S3 who was an E6 before he switched over to the not-so-bright side, and he is Ranger tabbed, very sharp and very hard charging. Through him I found out that we can go to the Ranger school. I am recovering from Achilles tendon surgery, starting to run again, and my goal is to go to pre-Ranger early summer next year, and Ranger school late summer next year. I have a lot of shape to get back into, and seeing that I am 38, I'm pretty nervous about my prospects for making it through this once in a lifetime opportunity and personal test, but I've got to give it a shot. I'm hoping I might get some additional mentoring (the LT is giving me a lot of great help) and suggestions from this community, especially from anyone who may have gone through this program in their later years.

Thanks!
- Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - TR
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Welcome to the site Wabbit. Don't worry about the age thing, the first week will suck, but after that it's mostly patrolling. If you truly have the desire, age won't matter. I have a good friend that went straight through at 38 years old and then he went through the "Q" course less than a year later. Good luck in your endeavours and Never Quit!!!
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

Wow, welcome and good luck.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
Wabbit
US Army

Thanks!

Post by Wabbit »

Thanks for the kind welcome, and especially the encouraging words about going through as a battered old goat. I won't quit. They may drag me out, but I won't quit.

The tough part is going to be getting in shape in one year...
- Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - TR
The Old Guy
Ranger

Welcome

Post by The Old Guy »

Welcome and hang in there. I met an AC Army Chaplain yesterday that attended Ranger school at the ripe age of 39 YO directly from the 82nd (girls at RTB must be getting soft on them boys, as it kicked my backside as a 21 YO stud).

It is all a mindset, pre-program your mind and body.

TOG
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances – to add a deeper meaning to his life.

Viktor E. Frankl
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Shhhhhhh. Be VEWWY VEWWY Quiet. I'm hunting Wabbit! :lol:
Welcome and thanks so very much for your service. Good luck with your future plans. 8)
Wabbit
US Army

Post by Wabbit »

RTO wrote:Shhhhhhh. Be VEWWY VEWWY Quiet. I'm hunting Wabbit! :lol:
Welcome and thanks so very much for your service. Good luck with your future plans. 8)
Hehe, nice! I tried to convert a Bugs Bunny picture to an avatar, but couldn't get the website to recognize it, even making sure it was less than the max size and file size. Oh, well.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Wabbit wrote:
RTO wrote:Shhhhhhh. Be VEWWY VEWWY Quiet. I'm hunting Wabbit! :lol:
Hehe, nice! I tried to convert a Bugs Bunny picture to an avatar, but couldn't get the website to recognize it, even making sure it was less than the max size and file size. Oh, well.
Find a picture you like and send it to Ranger Silverback. I'm sure he, or one of the other resident avatar gurus would be more than happy to assist you.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Like others have said, you can do itnif you want it.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Intro - Wabbit

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of Wabbit wrote: I was in the reserves until 1997, then got out. In mid-2001 I rejoined the Reserves to help a new MP detatchment train up a SRT team in preparation for the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Then 9-11 happened, and I knew we'd be in for a long haul. In March of 2001, our unit was activated for Iraq, and we did 13 months on active duty. I was assigned as an investigator, so I worked out of Kuwait, and into Iraq, and we also were in Saudi Arabia.
Wracally Wabbit, I have highlighted in bold two dates you printed they do not jive. The second date has you getting to Iraq before 9/11 happened or before you got to your unit - could be typo - so how's about you clearing this up or we gonna have Wabbit Stew.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Wabbit
US Army

Re: Intro - Wabbit

Post by Wabbit »

Steadfast wrote:Wracally Wabbit, I have highlighted in bold two dates you printed they do not jive. The second date has you getting to Iraq before 9/11 happened or before you got to your unit - could be typo - so how's about you clearing this up or we gonna have Wabbit Stew.
Ah, you are right! That second date should have been March of 2003, not 2001. I forgot to name the unit, which was the 396th MP Det. Thanks!
FIST TEAM LTR
Ranger

Welcome

Post by FIST TEAM LTR »

Welcome and good Luck. We all had an "Old Guy" go through, Our's was 36 yrs. No problem. If you want anything you can have it.

“But the bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what lies before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out and meet itâ€
1st Ranger Bn HHC 1978-81
A Company FIST Team
RGR Class 9-79
Nugget
Ranger

Post by Nugget »

Welcome, thank you for your service.
A Co 1/75 1996-2000
Class 9-98

"I'm not the best medic, but I'm YOUR medic"
Wabbit
US Army

Post by Wabbit »

Thanks to Ranger Silverback for fixing my avatar, it looks great!

Return to “Introduction Archive”