My Introduction.

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

coldsteal2
Veteran: US Army/US Navy

Post by coldsteal2 »

Invictus wrote:Welcome,

my understanding is that prior service can not get an Option 40. Someone with more knowledge about it than I will be along to square you away shortly.

I find your choice of avatar's...interesting. (2/75 candidate for sure)
I guess thats why i counldnt get into the program, I joined
the Army (prior svc)to become a Ranger, but was only offered Airborne,
and couldnt get into the Rangers, i guess im catching on now
and i just thought it was because of my age.
SGT USArmy Retired/Disabled
B 1/44 ADA 9th ID Ft Lewis 88-91 16R10 Vulcan Gunner
31M 63rd ARCOM 88 Oceanside CA
also
RM2 USN 1983-1988
NAVCOMMSTA SD 84-86
32nd ST NAVSTA 86-87
USS Merrill DD 976 86-87
NAS PENSACOLA Naval Aircrewman 87-88
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
289sotherhalf
Supreme Goddess of Drive On/Moderator

Post by 289sotherhalf »

Welcome to the site.
~Ranger Wife~

"Love your enemies...it pisses them off!"

"Be careful whose toes you step on today because they might be connected to the foot that kicks your ass tomorrow."

"Behind every damsel is a fire breathing dragon."
LRSD Ranger
Ranger

Post by LRSD Ranger »

welcome
Active Duty 1993-1996
25th LRSD Dec 1993-March 1996
Ranger School Class 7-95
Team 4, 25th LRSD
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

go Airborne unassigned and volunteer for RIP in ABN
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

http://www.myspace.com/forcedentryrocks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
rj50
US Army Veteran

Post by rj50 »

RRDTm3 wrote:go Airborne unassigned and volunteer for RIP in ABN
Ranger RRDTm3. The answer I've recieved is that we have to pick up a duty station prior to swearing the life away a second time.

Kit: If you don't mind me asking, how did you only do two years with your unit? I'm just curious.
11B, 25th ID (2/27 inf Aco & HHC "Scouts") 99-02. Current LEO.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Welcome. Good luck.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
kit
Egg

To answer Ranger rj50's question:

Post by kit »

At the time that I enlisted, there was the option for college grads to do two years enlisted and come in as an E4. I had my BA and I just wanted to go to Iraq and then be a civilian again...I didn't really know what I was doing, contract-wise, and I knew almost nothing about the Army. Having seen the Rangers on the job and learned a little more about you guys, I know where I want to be when I rejoin the Army. I just have to nail down that Option 40, which is proving to be very challenging. I'm reluctant to come back in with an Airborne contract and try to get RIP at airborne, because there's no guarantee I'd get it. And I certainly don't want to be dependant on the good will of my Chain of Command to send me to RIP from an Airborne unit. I need to get it in writing in my contract.
Bugsy
Ranger

Re: To answer Ranger rj50's question:

Post by Bugsy »

kit wrote:At the time that I enlisted, there was the option for college grads to do two years enlisted and come in as an E4. I had my BA and I just wanted to go to Iraq and then be a civilian again...I didn't really know what I was doing, contract-wise, and I knew almost nothing about the Army. Having seen the Rangers on the job and learned a little more about you guys, I know where I want to be when I rejoin the Army. I just have to nail down that Option 40, which is proving to be very challenging. I'm reluctant to come back in with an Airborne contract and try to get RIP at airborne, because there's no guarantee I'd get it. And I certainly don't want to be dependant on the good will of my Chain of Command to send me to RIP from an Airborne unit. I need to get it in writing in my contract.
You can't get it as prior enlisted, your only hope is to do what RRDTm3 suggested. Go to Airborne School and when that Ranger Liaison comes by during tower week, sign up, or better yet. As soon as you get a break go to RIP yourself and make your request known to those who are there.

What will get you there is your determination, it ain't gonna be easy but talk is cheap, if you want it bad enough you'll take your chances and go for it! It will be by your actions that will determine whether or not you get a shot at RIP.

Good luck solider. BTW, use the search button
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
EAT III
Ranger

Post by EAT III »

Welcome and good Luck.
RLTW!
A/1/75 86-88
RS 10-86
612th (AD)(Heavy Drop) 83-86
Lrsd 25th ID 88-90
151Inf Det (LRS)(ABN) current
rj50
US Army Veteran

Re: To answer Ranger rj50's question:

Post by rj50 »

kit wrote:At the time that I enlisted, there was the option for college grads to do two years enlisted and come in as an E4. I had my BA and I just wanted to go to Iraq and then be a civilian again...I didn't really know what I was doing, contract-wise, and I knew almost nothing about the Army. Having seen the Rangers on the job and learned a little more about you guys, I know where I want to be when I rejoin the Army. I just have to nail down that Option 40, which is proving to be very challenging. I'm reluctant to come back in with an Airborne contract and try to get RIP at airborne, because there's no guarantee I'd get it. And I certainly don't want to be dependant on the good will of my Chain of Command to send me to RIP from an Airborne unit. I need to get it in writing in my contract.
Cool, I was just curious because 2 years was unheard of when I first started out.
11B, 25th ID (2/27 inf Aco & HHC "Scouts") 99-02. Current LEO.
ANGRYCivilian
Tadpole

Post by ANGRYCivilian »

The Ranger Liason will come during BAC, just pay attention and don't haul ass to Columbus as soon as formation is dismissed for the day. The first mentioning I heard, which was the day before the Ranger Liason came, was after hours that night. The next day, there was a meeting, where a few Rangers had a bunch of the new TA50 that impressed the hell out of all the Privates, and they signed everyone up for RIP who was not already OPT 40.

Worst case scenario, you're not a leg anymore. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.
St Barbara's Bastards
82C1P

"Parole officer says I gotta upgrade, or he won't give me back my stabbin' knife!"~Roberto
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Welcome.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89

Return to “Introduction Archive”