Introduction - 1970GTO

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

1970GTO
Embryo

Introduction - 1970GTO

Post by 1970GTO »

Hello Rangers and other members of the forum,

I would like to start by thanking you for your service to our country. I come from a large military family and have the utmost respect for those who have served.

I have wanted to serve in the military since high school but decided to get my college degree first. In a year and a half I will graduate with my BS in Mechanical Engineering and I am beginning to take the steps necessary to join the Army. My first question is about asthma. I have searched the forum but was unable to find an answer. When I was a child I had symptoms of asthma. My parents are unable to confirm whether or not I was officially diagnosed but I did have an inhaler and went to the doctor for my symptoms. However, I have not had any symptoms since I was around 10 years old. Now that I am planning my enlistment in the military I am worried that this will disqualify me from service. It is my understanding that if you have not been treated for asthma since age 13 then you are cleared and do not need a waiver. I spoke with a recruiter yesterday who suggested I get a pulmonary function test to prove that I no longer have asthma. I played varsity football and volleyball in high school and never had any symptoms so I do not believe I have asthma. On one hand I would like to get a PFT because I do not want to get deployed, find out I do have asthma, and endanger myself or anyone else. On the other hand, I have had no symptoms since around age 10 and I do not want a PFT to look suspicious on my medical record and result in my disqualification. Should I get a pulmonary function test? I am unsure whether my insurance will cover the test (it may cost up to $400 if insurance does not cover it) as it depends on whether or not my doctor deems it "necessary." I do not want my medical record to show that a PFT was necessary when I have not experienced any symptoms.

I self-administered a PT test today. Here are the results:

2 mile run: 12:46
Pushups: 61 in 2 minutes
Sit-ups: 48 in 2 minutes

Thank you for your input. V/R,

Bobby
1970GTO
Embryo

Re: Introduction - 1970GTO

Post by 1970GTO »

SITREP:

I talked to a different recruiter today to get another perspective on my situation. He informed me that unless I can guarantee that I was never diagnosed and the word "asthma" does not appear anywhere on my record then I need to get a pulmonary function test. If not, there is a good chance I will be disqualified at MEPS and it will be an uphill battle from there to prove that I don't have asthma even with a pulmonary function test. I called my pediatrician and they are not able to find my records to confirm or deny that I was ever diagnosed. In light of this, I will get a pulmonary function test this week if I can get an appointment.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
1970GTO
Embryo

Post by 1970GTO »

Hello Rangers,

I said I would get an appointment for a PFT but I was unable due to finals and the holidays. I will get one when my doctor returns after Christmas. Until then, I just wanted to say Merry Christmas and have a safe and happy New Year.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

1970GTO wrote:Hello Rangers,

I said I would get an appointment for a PFT but I was unable due to finals and the holidays. I will get one when my doctor returns after Christmas. Until then, I just wanted to say Merry Christmas and have a safe and happy New Year.
So what has happened?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
1970GTO
Embryo

Post by 1970GTO »

Ranger Jim,

I have an appointment today at 1320 so I hope to have this issue resolved very quickly. Thank you for taking the time to ask. I will let you know what comes of the appointment.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

1970GTO wrote:Ranger Jim,

I have an appointment today at 1320 so I hope to have this issue resolved very quickly. Thank you for taking the time to ask. I will let you know what comes of the appointment.
Excellent, give us a full report.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
1970GTO
Embryo

Post by 1970GTO »

Rangers,

Today at 1320 I met with my doctor. He informed me that his office only has the capability to do a minimal PFT and has put in a request at the local hospital to have a full PFT done. Neither of us were sure a minimal test would suffice for the Army so we decided that a full PFT would be best and would dispel any doubt. As soon as I am approved, I will report back with a SITREP.

Also, I had the pleasure of talking with an active Ranger from the 2nd Battalion today. He was able to give me insight into the life of a Ranger and confirm/supplement much of what I have been reading here. Thank you again, Rangers, for all of your help.
1970GTO
Embryo

Post by 1970GTO »

Rangers,

I just received a call from my doctors office. My PFT request has been approved and my appointment is February 8th. I'm disappointed that it will take that long but I was told it is normal for a PFT to be scheduled this far in advance. Thank you for your time Rangers.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

1970GTO wrote:Rangers,

I just received a call from my doctors office. My PFT request has been approved and my appointment is February 8th. I'm disappointed that it will take that long but I was told it is normal for a PFT to be scheduled this far in advance. Thank you for your time Rangers.
Excellent. Keep us informed of your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
1970GTO
Embryo

Post by 1970GTO »

Thank you Ranger ManchuV.

I had my PFT today at 1330 and the technician who administered the test said my results looked good. All of my numbers were good although there was one that was slightly beneath where it should be. He said that since he is not a doctor and cannot diagnose anything the results would be sent to my doctor who would look them over and make a diagnosis. I then went and talked to the recruiter I had spoken to about a month and a half ago to make sure that I get all the proper paperwork from my doctor when I see him. I also asked the recruiter if I needed to get all the paperwork for my ears (I had "T tubes" when I was a child) and he said that I did. I went to that doctor's office and requested all of my records and they said those will be ready in 3-5 business days. My hope is that these medical issues will be cleared by sometime in the next week or so and I can go from there. Thank you Rangers.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

1970GTO wrote:Thank you Ranger ManchuV.

I had my PFT today at 1330 and the technician who administered the test said my results looked good. All of my numbers were good although there was one that was slightly beneath where it should be. He said that since he is not a doctor and cannot diagnose anything the results would be sent to my doctor who would look them over and make a diagnosis. I then went and talked to the recruiter I had spoken to about a month and a half ago to make sure that I get all the proper paperwork from my doctor when I see him. I also asked the recruiter if I needed to get all the paperwork for my ears (I had "T tubes" when I was a child) and he said that I did. I went to that doctor's office and requested all of my records and they said those will be ready in 3-5 business days. My hope is that these medical issues will be cleared by sometime in the next week or so and I can go from there. Thank you Rangers.
Please let us know how things worked out for you.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

You'll discover that your exceptional PT scores will be rather lower, likely much lower, when administered by an actual Ranger NCO. Use perfect form always, speed & strength will follow.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
1970GTO
Embryo

Post by 1970GTO »

Thank you for the advice Ranger K.Ingraham. I have been following the form outlined in the Army Pocket Physical Training Guide to the best of my ability. I would love to see an instructional guide or video made by a Ranger and the chance to be trained in person would be an invaluable experience.

Return to “Introduction Archive”