Introduction - Mike

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Vyce
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Mike

Post by Vyce »

Dear Rangers,

I got my 11x opt 40!!!! Rattled the cage enough and I got what I came for! I go to MEPS tuesday to sign, this is surreal, absolutely surreal. I am getting my chance to have my chance. Once I sign, I will be set to ship 2012116 to OSUT. So it begins!

I will not stop. I will not let up. I am going to achieve my lifelong goal. I am going to finish this.

-Mike
Vyce
Ranger

Post by Vyce »

Sorry, that's 20121116 for OSUT
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Nike, you have about six months to prepare yourself. Let's begin by memorizing the Ranger Creed. As you commit it to memory, think about not just what the words are, but what do they mean. Never never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Vyce
Ranger

Post by Vyce »

Ranger Jim,

I have it hung on my wall behind my desk, and I have it hung on my door before I head out every morning. I will continue to commit it to memory and incorporate its underlying principles into my everyday life.

I HATED wrestling the last 3 years of my athletic "career". Absolutely hated cutting 15 pounds and not having time to socialize. I didn't quit...because I made a commitment to myself, and more importantly, my teammates. I haven't given up on anything I was even remotely driven towards, and this is certainly not the time to start.

-Mike
Vyce
Ranger

Post by Vyce »

Rangers,

I figure it is time for a quick SITREP. I entered the DEP with an 11x opt. 40 with a ship date of 20121106 on 5/2.

The time is now, and I have not a week, day, or minute to spare in preparation. My PT is still going strong with a 12:38 most recent 2-miler, and a 35:30 most recent 5-miler. My PU/SU have been about the same as when I first posted. I am working on much more functional workouts and trying to push myself through my mental barriers. Today is the official "t-minus 6 months" mark.

As of this moment, I have 1 week of classes, 1 week of finals, senior week, and then graduation on the 27th. During this time, I will be training hard, studying hard, and finishing my degree with strength.

Also, if any Ranger, current or prior, would be willing to grant me the honor of being their mentee during these 6 months, I would wholeheartedly appreciate it and certainly not let the effort go for naught. I have never felt driven to anything more than I have this, and to be mentored by a Ranger would be something I will not let go to waste.

This phrase has been running through my mind for the past week and I figured I'll finish my SITREP with it. It has really transcended the way I think when I need to push myself on a run or bang out a couple more reps:

"You can be anything you want to be. You just have to be it."

-Mike
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

As you are in the area please try to attend.

We recently lost a great American. LTC Robert Hemphill was killed in a fire in the Scranton, PA area. News article below.

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/friend ... z1u2tMmnWN

He will be buried on 11 May, 2012. If you can attend, please contact Ranger Peter Shirley at 570.972.8902.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Have you perused the mentoring zone at all? If so, what did you glean from the topics covered so far? What do you hope to learn from a Ranger mentor?
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Vyce
Ranger

Post by Vyce »

Ranger GoldCoast,

After being granted access, I was enthralled by the amount of information and the mindset one should attain before embarking on this journey. I learned that settling, becoming complacent, or accepting anything remotely less than perfection (which one may argue is never truly attainable) is something that is as shameful as it is detrimental to one's development. Moreover, I have understood that it is not merely a test of physical prowess or capability, but a test of the will, of the soul, and of the psychological determination one has to complete their mission.

It is honestly hard to stop reading the mentoring threads. I do not want to miss any of what was covered previously and am grasping for every ounce of history and insight into how I may best prepare myself, both in physical and mental facets, for what undoubtably will be the toughest period in my life.

Also, a major part of what I "took home" was the emphasis on the history of the Rangers, the men that served as such, and how they lived up to the Creed they chose to live by. My respect for them and the Rangers grew tenfold, and the drive I feel to achieve this goal of mine was solidified even more.

What I hope to learn from a Ranger mentor is not merely someone to yell at me, make sure my affairs are in order, or to keep me focused. What I would hope to learn from a Ranger mentor is even the slightest inkling as to the mentality of a warrior. If that is something that can only be truly understood through direct experience, then I sincerely apologize for my ignorance and totally understand. What I mean by that is that I want to be able to get into the "training for war" mentality. For a civilian such as myself, I am finding it difficult to transform my mindset from an athletic-improvement state of: "I need to shave 20 seconds off my time for inner satisfaction" to a: "the faster I can run, the more I can push, the quicker I react, the better teammate and warrior I may become."

I have never wanted anything more in my life than this. I have the opportunity in front of me, I have the insatiable drive to prepare, and am readying myself for the moment to come, so that I may walk the walk and prove my ability to take part in something that such honorable men have been a part of before me.

-Vyce
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

Allright. That's a lot of talk, but your heart seems to be in the right place. Report over to the 'Five Mentees' thread. Catch up on all posted assignments by Friday, May 18th. Let me know if you need an extension. I'll work with you unless/until a more suitable Ranger comes along.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Vyce
Ranger

Post by Vyce »

Roger Ranger GoldCoast.

Friday, May 18th will leave me with enough time to catch up on all posted assignments. I will report to the thread, today, with a current APFT (with pullups at the end) and a current 5mi run time, as per your most recent assignment. Thank you.

-Vyce
Texas_stud
Embryo

Post by Texas_stud »

Hey Mike,

Im curious to know how your situation is going, i seem to be going trough the same thing!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Joel_mairena wrote:Hey Mike,

Im curious to know how your situation is going, i seem to be going trough the same thing!
Mike seems to be doing well. If I may say so. And you?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Texas_stud
Embryo

Post by Texas_stud »

Ranger Jim
Well i really dont know what to do it seems as if my recruiter doesnt want to work with me, he said he wasnt going to brake his back to get me what i want. Ive done most of the process my scores were good. Should i go to a different recruiter? I see that Ranger Goon175 does posts of when option 40's are available should i just check in constantly with his thread and then run back to the recruiter when theirs some available? what do you recommend?
Texas_stud
Embryo

Post by Texas_stud »

Ranger Zonk 1/75
Ill try harder.

Return to “Introduction Archive”