Introduction of a bit concerned yet very proud mother.

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

PTB1008
Embryo

Introduction of a bit concerned yet very proud mother.

Post by PTB1008 »

Good morning,

My name is Pam, and I must say that son’s decision to join the military hit me like a cold shower.

Before I continue with my introduction, since I read on the instructions to the forum that good english is necessary, I apologize if I make any mistakes expressing myself, as it is not my native language.

I grew up during my country's civil war (ES), therefore I was raised to keep away from anything “military”. This changed very quickly when I came to live in the US as a legal resident, for starters I had to accept, on behalf of my minor sons, for them to register for the selective service, and later during my naturalization ceremony, at the Oath of Allegiance, I had to swear to bear arms for the US if ever necessary.

As any other normal mother of a 17 year old, I had the talk about “what will you do when you get out of high school” with my oldest son, like some teens he gave me the “hmmm not sure yet” answer.

I never imagined when he finally “knew” what he had decided to do. I learned that not only did he want to join the military but that he wanted to join the Special Forces. That was the first time I learned about the Rangers.

I’m still in shock (and honestly, I think I will always be), but now it is time to find out what I need to do in order to help him, and support his decision. My sons are my most precious treasure, and if I am giving my oldest son to the military, I want him to be with the best and be the best he can be.

thank you.

Pam.

ps: I decided to post here since I am at this moment in the other civilians category, as a mother of a future soldier. I hope it is the right place.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction of a bit concerned yet very proud mother.

Post by Jim »

Pam,
I think your reaction is normal and predictable. If your son wants to become a Ranger, this is the site he should go to. We take considerable pride in the fine young men who have visited with us on their life journey. What is unique about serving in the 75th Ranger Regiment is that everyone has got to earn their place. It is a challenge, but it can be earned.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
PTB1008
Embryo

Re:

Post by PTB1008 »

thank you Ranger Jim, I appreciate your words. And yes, even if I don't fully understand it, that is what my son has told me, he likes the challenge it takes (and is one of his biggest motivations).
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

First of all congratulations on raising responsible, honorable boys. As a Ranger Mom I can tell you, you are about to embark on the roller coaster ride of your life. You will be unbelievably proud and scared to death at the same time. You will be relieved that he wants to serve with the best of the best and suddenly find yourself worrying about not only your son but all the other sons you instantly inherit by his association with them. It's a family! Your job - tough as it is will be to encourage him when he doubts himself, push him when you want to just wrap in your arms and bring him home, and have your crying, falling apart at the seams fits outside of his presence. If he gets his shot at the Ranger regiment, he will need you to write him every day, keep your concerns to yourself and when his letters come saying how miserable the conditions he's in are, you shed a private tear and tell him "Rangers NEVER quit." It's a little like pushing your little baby bird out of the nest when that's indeed the very last thing you want to do. Civilian parents don't get it. Find yourself some military moms to share your pride and fears with. Prepare for long periods of time without communication from your son and trust that this path chose him as much as he chose it. If this is truly what he wants to do, he needs a strong, encouraging, home base. Prepare to not ask him details he can't give and prepare to tell all the inquiring people out there that you don't know where he is because you won't and they won't believe you but that's their problem. Prepare to not be able to brag about him, put his military pictures in the paper or tell people when he achieves great things. Personal security and unit security is utmost and loose lips sink ships as they say. Be proud, Mom. Love him unconditionally, pray and keep him wrapped in your arms in your heart. It's a tough, challenging road - for him and for you. But Rangers lead the way! and Ranger Mom's sit home and pray. Blessings to you all.
I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
PTB1008
Embryo

Post by PTB1008 »

Good morning and thank you both Ranger XCrunner and 75Ranger mom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XCrunner
my son already makes me proud, he has always been a good son. Thank you again for your words (and if I may say this, he is a xc runner too)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

75RangerMom
I greatly appreciate your words, very much. Everybody's words are so important to me, but another mother's words are special. What I tell my son (and myself), is that what he needs to remember at all times is God, specially those hard times when I wont be there to hold him or give him comfort. I tell him whenever I can (even tell him that mothers say things over and over,so that words will stick in his head for when he needs them in the future). We both do trust God, and I know He will give me the strength not to sink, He already has, even if I am only a 37 year old mom been through a lot of changes in my life and the only way I had to keep together was God (I have made big efforts to never let any of my 3 sons, see me cry or worried -like supermom-, since they were little I had to be mom and dad so I "had" to keep strong specially when I wasn't, but that is another story).

again, thank you.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Welcome Mom!

Encourage your son to become a member here, our Mentor Program can provide him with invaluable knowledge and insight into becoming a Ranger.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
PTB1008
Embryo

Post by PTB1008 »

Thank you Ranger Slowpoke

yes I have told him to do so, but I guess I will need to do little more pressure to go over the normal teen attitude of "yes, I will in a bit".

He was surprised when he saw I found this site , and the fact that I visited it and register before him (His coach had a friend who was a Ranger, and was kind enough to introduce him to my son, he told my son to come to this site -not my place to tell this story). I told my son as his mother it was my duty to do my homework (find information on my own).

I will show him this and I will make sure he registers in a couple of minutes.
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

You're doing great, Mom! Your sons are very blessed indeed. This is a great site to visit frequently. Ranger info for general consumption can be difficult to come by. If your son has not enlisted yet, make sure he holds out for the opt 40 in his contract. You can get a shot at the Ranger path by volunteering at different times along the way but it is much smoother if it's in your contract to start. For my son it was a smooth step by step process. He went straight from Basic/AIT training to Airborne to RIP which I understand now is called RASP. He enlisted at 17 and so was in the future soldiers program for some time before he graduated high school and was able to go. That time allowed him to do physical fitness training, learn the ranks, some navigation skills and to earn two promotions before he even went to Basic. We were very blessed all along his route. He had tough, firm drill sergeants who kept them squared away and he seemed to have people placed in his path all along the route to guide him and us along. It speaks volumes about your character that you cared enough for him and his future to research his interest on your own. Big cheers, Mom.
PTB1008
Embryo

Re:

Post by PTB1008 »

Good morning,
thank you again 75RangerMom. And yes, I wanted to make sure before we went to see a recruiter, I knew all the details (I don't like going blindly into things specially if is in relation with the future of my sons). His plan is to go the latest, the first week of spring, he wants an 11b opt40 (with second choice a 68w), since he will be a minor I plan on going with him (hope I can), even though I told him he will do the talk, I will just make sure he gets what he wants only (and only that).
Now his time during the week is very limited, he stays after school every single day (he is very committed to his running, another thing I don't really understand but it is good he is so determined and compromised with it).

You give me hope and strength with your experience, thank you for sharing, every detail is important.

I also wanted to ask you, if I have a question I don't find the answer in here, if I can pm you (I will only do it if necessary, but wanted to ask you if I could before hand). I don't know anybody outside this place that could help me and you are the only Mom I know in here.
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com Pam.
Thankyou to your son for his desire to become one of the elite few. This is definately the best place to learn from those who have walked before him. And as a mom, there is no better place to that will help you understand the Ranger mindset and lifestyle. Hope you decide to join our family here. Looking foward to getting to know you better. Thankyou for raising a warrior, and again, Welcome.
PTB1008
Embryo

Re:

Post by PTB1008 »

Thank you WarriorWife.
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

You may pm me any time. I will answer anything I can. We had to sign the papers for my son since he was 17 at the time so it is best if you go along to the recruiter (in our case, my son arranged for the recruiter to come to us at our home but the rest of us were on vacation in Yellowstone and he called and said "um yeah can you come home a day early - the recruiter is coming Friday!!" Sure no problem ha ha.) Also you're going to think to ask the questions that don't occur to him because all he's interested in is signing up and getting gone. There is a lot of info the recruiters have for you to take in. I don't know what your time line is but one thing we had to establish before he left for basic was a bank account with a debit card so that there was somewhere for them to auto deposit his pay and he didn't have to carry a check book. My son did not have access to his cell phone during basic - some do it depends on the drill sgts.
It's quite the experience. I'm here if you need me. Gives me something to focus on besides what my kid is doing right now. :)

Return to “Introduction Archive”