Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

tigercannon
Embryo

Introduction

Post by tigercannon »

Hello Everyone, my name is Joshua and I am a 26 year old graduate student at Seton Hall University. I graduated undergrad from Clemson University in 2005 and I will be graduating with my Masters this May. While at Seton Hall I have joined the ROTC program and will be commissioning in May as a future Field Artillery Officer (Step 4 Branched but very proud to be selected into the Combat Arms community). I am currently writing my thesis this semester and am extremely busy trying to balance school, rotc, and work so I may take some time responding to posts or PMs.

Physically I've been making improvements but I still have much further to go. I currently am averaging 280s on the APFT with my run time holding me back. I have exceeded the push up and sit up max on the past two APFTs but my run time is stagnating around the 14 minute mark. On the 5 mile run RPFT I finished 38:00 on my first trial. This is mostly due to the fact that I was a fat sack of crap after graduating College before contracting with ROTC. Any tips or training programs/regimes on running would be greatly appreciated.

I do intend on applying to serve in the 75th one day, but for now I am only concerning myself with preparing for ranger school. This is the primary reason I have joined this forum.

Thank you for hosting this site and I look forward to learning how to be a better leader and better soldier.
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site. My hat is off to you guys who take on a full academic load, as well as ROTC. It takes a lot of discipline to stay on top of all that. Good luck to you.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
The Surgeon
Ranger

Post by The Surgeon »

Welcome, keep up the good work!
Bco 3/75
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Post by Ranger Andy »

tigercannon wrote:...for ranger school.
...for Ranger school.

What was your undergrad major and what are you doing for your Masters?

Good luck and drive on dude!
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome and good luck in your future.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and congratulations for stepping up.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Welcome.

1) FA was the last branch on my list. I told my ROTC commander that I would enlist if I got it. :D

2) That said, I served with a few good dudes who were FOs in my IN BN. One of them is a member here. Several of them have been KIA leading their troops. I gained a lot of respect for the 'other' monarch of battle.

3) If this is truely your chosen route, you might want to look at CPT Rippetoe as a man to emulate.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
tigercannon
Embryo

Post by tigercannon »

Thank you for the welcome Rangers and Gentlemen.

To Ranger Andy, thank you for pointing that out. Of course I would make a mistake like that after introducing myself as a graduate student.

My undergraduate major was Political Science with a minor in Physics. I was an electrical engineering major for four years and it wasn't until my senior year when I was doing a year as research assistant with the bioengineering department before I changed majors. I also fulfilled a minors requirement for Japanese too, but since Clemson only recognizes one minor it was a pretty easy choice.

My graduate degree is a Masters of Arts in Diplomacy and International Relations. I am taking two functional specialties in International Security and in Conflict Resolution. My thesis has been changed to a project (some arcane administration choice for whatever reason) and is centered around state threat perceptions from transnational conflicts. I am more than happy to go into greater detail if you or anyone else on the forums has any questions about the project.

To Ranger PocketKings, I said the same thing about MP but fortunately I was spared. At first I was wary about being branched FA, however my PMS is a Ranger Tabbed Field Artillery Officer and has told me many things and shown me through example a lot to look forward to down this career path. I read about CPT Rippetoe as you suggested, there was a lot to learn and a sobering experience to read the reports. You have given me a lot to think about and an excellent example to strive for. Thank you.

Return to “Introduction Archive”