Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

acs88
Embryo

Introduction

Post by acs88 »

Rangers,

My name is Austin. I am in my second year of college for Electrical Engineering. I am joining ROTC (not contracted) next semester in hopes of maxing my PT and gaining valuable skills such as land nav before I enlist. I plan on DEP in during my last semester that way I don't have to wait for an 11x option 40 as long. I have wanted to be a Ranger since the third grade. We had some falling apart library and I found a book that has rarely been checked out on the army Rangers. I read that book front to back and from that moment on I wanted to be a Ranger.

I was going to enlist before I went to college and actually I didn't apply. My mom didn't want me to join up so she applied for me. I knew I could make it through then I could join up and get a little extra money and a promotion. In reality I am glad I went to college first. I was a fat bastard but in my time so far I have dropped 70 lbs and can now run 2 miles in 16 min. Yea sucks right now but I run every other day to get it better and next semester I have ROTC PT. I still have two years to max out my PT and I fully intend on doing so.

Any advice will fall on listening ears. I know that these forums are pretty extensive so I will save any specific questions until I have gone through the forums.

-Austin
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Re: Introduction

Post by Disinfertention »

acs88 wrote:I was a fat bastard but in my time so far I have dropped 70 lbs and can now run 2 miles in 16 min. Yea sucks right now... ...Any advice will fall on listening ears. I know that these forums are pretty extensive so I will save any specific questions until I have gone through the forums.

-Austin
Don't kid yourself. That is an impressive achievement. Losing weight is never an easy proposition. Keep up the hard work. It always pays off.

The bold in the quote is probably some of the best advice you will get and you gave it to yourself.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Oh, Welcome to the site!

Where are my manners. :roll: :lol:
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Thanks for your interest in becoming an Army Ranger and congratulations on your physical fitness progress. What is the title of the book you mentioned? Be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.

Checking to see if this can be edited.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
acs88
Embryo

Post by acs88 »

I have been trying to find it myself. It was some little hard back book probably no more than 50 pages. They also had two other books one on the green berets and another on the navy seals. I am trying to find it because I would like to have it for my personal library. Something to draw inspiration from. I am heading back home in a couple weeks. I am going to stop back by my old elementary school library to see if they have it and/or possibly sell it to me.

-Austin
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com young man!
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
Atrum-Rivalen
Tadpole

Post by Atrum-Rivalen »

In reference to the series of books Austin is speaking of, I believe my school's library has the same series. I'll check tomorrow to get the author and title of the book.
acs88
Embryo

Post by acs88 »

SITREP

Rangers,

The elementary school no longer had the book so I am trying to find it by other means.

Just got all set up for my ROTC class. Hopefully it will give me needed skills and discipline for when I sign that 18x Option 40. Also, it will get me in better shape.

As always any advice is welcome.

-Austin
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Decent intro, and kudos for losing all that weight. Keep driving on with that same attitude, and you'll go far in life. Welcome to the site.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Welcome. What school do you attend? My son is in ROTC, and they have a pretty good PT plan and training schedule - mostly the fun stuff in the first year, but good to know skills. You should be able to pass the APFT on day one. That is your first goal.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
acs88
Embryo

Post by acs88 »

Ranger 42L5V,

I attend the University of Missouri Columbia a.k.a. Mizzou and am a Sophomore in Electrical Engineering.
The Surgeon
Ranger

Post by The Surgeon »

welcome and drive on!
Bco 3/75
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

acs88 wrote:Ranger 42L5V,

I attend the University of Missouri Columbia a.k.a. Mizzou and am a Sophomore in Electrical Engineering.
My son is at MSU as a freshman. Some of his classmates are at Mizzou, not sure if any are in the ROTC program. (He's a Waynesville HS graduate.) I will check with him to see if they have insight into the program. I know that Mizzou has a huge ROTC program.

Send me a PM in a day or two if you're interested in seeing if I can find out any information, or find you a battle buddy up there.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
acs88
Embryo

Post by acs88 »

Ranger 42L5V,

Apparently Mizzou's ROTC program received the MacArthur Award for Number 1 Army ROTC program in the Western Region. Time will tell though. Its unfortunate that I can only participate in two years of the program before I have to drop out.

PM inbound.
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Post by Ranger Andy »

acs88 wrote:Just got all set up for my ROTC class. Hopefully it will give me needed skills and discipline for when I sign that 18x Option 40.
I'm sure ROTC will teach you military skills that will be useful to you. Discipline is another issue. Just about every Ranger that I've run across has been a self-disciplined driven person. You are on the right road. Find stuff on this site that will continue to motivate you towards your Ranger objective...
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...

Return to “Introduction Archive”