Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

lawless
Embryo

Introduction

Post by lawless »

Hello Rangers, thanks for all the great advice and for serving this great country we live in. Too many people take you and it for granted.

My name is Mike and I am 24 years old from Folsom, Ca. I have always had a respect and admiration for our soldiers and have wanted to serve my country as all you have. I think the Army offers a strong foundation to learn honor and integrity along with a means to earn everything this country affords to me. Two years ago I almost joined the Army with an MOS of 31B (Military Police). I went to MEPS and sat down to sign. Fortunately I talked myself into try to finish my degree first. I say “fortunatelyâ€
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

Good intro.

I'm curious about your choice of the name "Lawless", especially considering your location....

How quickly do you intend to ship once you get your OPT 40 contract?

Read the ROE PM I am sending you.
lawless
Embryo

Ship date....

Post by lawless »

Ranger Invictus,

I will send you a PM about my username. As for how fast I am going to ship after I sign, I want to make sure I am physically ready. My goal is to score at least an 80 in all three catagories for 17-21 age range (I hope to be further than that, but if not I will wait and do it right). If I am where I want to be physically I will leave asap. Any advice on winter training?
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

It is refreshing to see such a decent intro after watching so many of your peers fall into our drop zone without reconning the site first and without a 'clue'.

Continue working on your PT scores. You have a good foundation to improve from.
pellett2007
Tadpole

Post by pellett2007 »

Welcome Mike, PM inbound.
Sometimes you feel tired, feel weak
When you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up
But you gotta search within you, find that inner strength

Mentee to Ranger Bill.
Basic: 12 September 2008, Fort Benning.
Invictus
Ranger

Re: Ship date....

Post by Invictus »

lawless wrote:Ranger Invictus,

I will send you a PM about my user name. As for how fast I am going to ship after I sign, I want to make sure I am physically ready. My goal is to score at least an 80 in all three categories for 17-21 age range (I hope to be further than that, but if not I will wait and do it right). If I am where I want to be physically I will leave asap. Any advice on winter training?
Got your PM.

Advice on winter training? I'm not sure I understand the distinction between winter and summer training. Other than the temperature, there's really no difference. Can you clarify your question?
lawless
Embryo

Winter training...

Post by lawless »

Ranger Invictus,

I think what has prompted me to ask this is that some of my friends have warned me about injuries in Winter training. They say, "stay warm and stretch". However, I was wondering if there was anything else? Sometimes my friends aren't all that thorough. Either way I will learn what I need to learn through trial, I was just curious if there is a distinction between Summer and Winter training other than the cold?

Thanks again for all the help!
lawless
Embryo

Update!!

Post by lawless »

I went to MEPS yesterday and scored my 1s as needed. I managed to get a 11x contract with option 40 and am set to be shipped out on 20080922. I swore in and all that good stuff. Now I am preparing for my training. Thanks for all the good advice in your forums, you have really helped me.

Thanks again,

Mike
lawless
Embryo

Loving the Running.....

Post by lawless »

Roger
Nomad
Ranger

Post by Nomad »

PM inbound.
lawless
Embryo

Another development....

Post by lawless »

Rangers,

Another development in my journey to become a Ranger has come about. My wife and I had a talk about my MOS choice the other night :roll: . She is worried that infantry will not give me any skill to use after the Army. I had originally signed as 11x but her thought was that if I scored well on the ASVAB, why not try a more technical MOS and still attempt the Ranger program? She suggested that 68w with option 40 may be a good fit. So I talked to my recruiter and he agreed it would be a good idea. I am set to go renegotiate on Thursday for 68w option 40. The impression that I get is that I will learn almost everything that an infantryman would learn and I would be able to keep you guys in one piece. I just wanted your opinions on the matter.

Thanks again…
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Re: Another development....

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

lawless wrote:Rangers,

Another development in my journey to become a Ranger has come about. My wife and I had a talk about my MOS choice the other night :roll: . She is worried that infantry will not give me any skill to use after the Army. I had originally signed as 11x but her thought was that if I scored well on the ASVAB, why not try a more technical MOS and still attempt the Ranger program? She suggested that 68w with option 40 may be a good fit. So I talked to my recruiter and he agreed it would be a good idea. I am set to go renegotiate on Thursday for 68w option 40. The impression that I get is that I will learn almost everything that an infantryman would learn and I would be able to keep you guys in one piece. I just wanted your opinions on the matter.

Thanks again…
Do what YOU think is best. As for her opinion on what skill sets you acquire as an 11b or lack thereof....bullshit. While some may disagree with my position on life...I always informed my wife of what I was doing and listened to her opinions.....and then did what I thought was right. And she would tell you now, she is very glad I did. In the end, your the man and she is the woman. YOU decide.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
lawless
Embryo

Roger...

Post by lawless »

Ranger Rock Island Ranger,

Agreed. I do like the prospect of 68w. I think it is a great idea and I want to pursue it. I wanted to see what you Rangers would have to say about 68w vs. 11x. Basically is there anything I will be missing as a 68w as opposed to an 11x? I just want to make sure I have a clear picture of what 68w does in a group of Rangers. I know you can't give specifics, I am asking for a general idea. Anything you can contribute will be valuable to me. Thanks again for your time.
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Another development....

Post by RangerJurena »

lawless wrote:Rangers,

Thanks again…
As the Pastor stated, she's your wife you are correct in discussing what path you take, but at the end of the day..its YOUR career.

We all are very fond of those who take care of us, its been expressed over and over.

As for the Infantry not giving you any skills after the Army. There are quite a few very successful members of the board that were Infantry soldiers. While I don't think it can be narrowed down to a skill set I feel it provides more of a mindset.

Should you succeed in ths journey, regardless of MOS, you will be better prepared to be a success out here in the civilian world than 99% of the people you will end up working with.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Return to “Introduction Archive”