Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Roger...

Post by RangerJurena »

lawless wrote:Ranger Rock Island Ranger,

Agreed. I do like the prospect of 68w. I think it is a great idea and I want to pursue it. I wanted to see what you Rangers would have to say about 68w vs. 11x. Basically is there anything I will be missing as a 68w as opposed to an 11x? I just want to make sure I have a clear picture of what 68w does in a group of Rangers. I know you can't give specifics, I am asking for a general idea. Anything you can contribute will be valuable to me. Thanks again for your time.
Allright wildman, its time for the obligatory...use the search button.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?
Embryo

Post by lawless »

Ranger RangerJurena,

Roger. :wink:

And thanks to to ya'll again....

Mike
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

lawless wrote:Ranger RangerJurena,

Roger. :wink:

And thanks to to ya'll again....

Mike
Your Google Fu gains strength....
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
edisapimp
Tadpole

Re: Another development....

Post by edisapimp »

lawless wrote:Rangers,

Another development in my journey to become a Ranger has come about. My wife and I had a talk about my MOS choice the other night :roll: . She is worried that infantry will not give me any skill to use after the Army. I had originally signed as 11x but her thought was that if I scored well on the ASVAB, why not try a more technical MOS and still attempt the Ranger program? She suggested that 68w with option 40 may be a good fit. So I talked to my recruiter and he agreed it would be a good idea. I am set to go renegotiate on Thursday for 68w option 40. The impression that I get is that I will learn almost everything that an infantryman would learn and I would be able to keep you guys in one piece. I just wanted your opinions on the matter.

Thanks again…
This is *almost* in my lane so I will answer a bit.

While not a Ranger, or Ranger medic, I can say to you with a reasonable deal of confidence that you will NOT learn as much being a 68w (with an option 40), then going to RIP as the guys that came out of OSUT with an 11x MOS know about all things infantry. If you want to learn all the things an infantryman would learn, become an infantryman. If you want to learn all the things a medic would learn, become a 68w. The goal of being a Ranger medic is lofty and admirable, since you will be charged with the responsibility of taking care of the most important soldiers in our Army. What you will be missing out on going 68w versus 11x... The chance to be really cool, versus the chance to be a skirt (like me).

As far as your wife's concerns about your skills being marketable outside of the Armed Forces, I can say this to you: The only actual marketable skill you will leave Fort Sam Houston with is your national registry EMT-B certification. This is worth approximately what the average 17 year old kid makes working part time at Target. In all seriousness as a working EMT-B, you are looking at $10.00/hour salaries, which is not enough to feed yourself, a wife, and a kid. Don't delude yourself into thinking you will come out of Ft. Sam and walk into a hospital and get hired as an ER tech, you probably won't. You also may face state and local reciprocity issues, because not every state recognizes the National Registry as allowing you to work (New York for example doesn't). If you can somehow manage your way into M6 school, which is the Army's LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) identifier for 68w, then you would have a National certification that all states recognize (LPN). The LPN will get you a job that pays reasonably well ($15-$20/hour), and gives you more useful clinical experience. The downside of this is that is another YEAR of training. There are other identifiers, Occupational Therapy (N3), Physical Therapy (N9), Ear Nose and Throat (P3), that all add to your 68w skillset, but if your vision is truly taking you to 75th Ranger Regiment, then it is unlikely you will see any of these schools.

I agree with what Ranger Rock Island Ranger said; YOU need to make a choice, based on what is best for YOU!
Current - USAMEDAC - Ft. Dix, NJ
68WM6/N9/Y8/Z6 SGT, FOB Victory FAS NCOIC

OEF '06-'07
173d ABCT - USAREUR's Airborne Option!
lawless
Embryo

Post by lawless »

edisapimp,

Roger and thank you.

Mike
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

How did I miss this one?... :roll:

Yes there is a lot of cross-training in the Regiment, but those two MOSs couldn't be more different. They are both very cool and you will get to do things that you can't do anywhere else in both. Just remember that the medics will always be a support element in an infantry unit. They both teach skills that are marketable on the outside and medics work side by side with the grunts doing the same shit, until someone gets hurt. Then it is time for you to do your thing, but up until that point you are another rifleman.

Do you learn marketable skills in both? Yes. If you decide to stay in, the positions available are very limited once you get some rank as a medic. Usually you have to go to a schoolhouse setting or medical unit to advance beyond SFC. In contrast, infantry can be in almost any job field.

I submit you do this; Go in as a grunt, do some time in the Regiment up to say a Team Leader. Then if you decide that you like it and want to stay, go to the Q course and try and get 18D. That way you will get a chance to do a little of both. Either way, I'll parrot what the pastor said and tell you to do what YOU think you will like. It would suck ass to be locked into an MOS that you don't like for four years
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Scuba Wino wrote:Welcome Lawless.

The advice given here is by Rangers that have BTDT. However, you have to make the final choice.

Since you're in Folsom, PM your info and I'll protect yuor wife while you're away..... :P :P

I could use some PT myself (save it gents...just save it).........

Welcome again.
PS: That avatar you see on Scuba Wino...that aint him....exactly. Thats his big toe. Scuba makes Jaba The Hut look like the poster child for Weight Watchers.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

Return to “Introduction Archive”