--- Introduction ---

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

roadtheshortbus
Ranger

Post by roadtheshortbus »

Columbus, you're close to Grove City, there are pools coming out of your ass in that area......LEARN TO SWIM NOW..... even if you can get 300 on the APFT you still fail. Look, use the search button for work outs and find one that fits you.... Lifting weight for mass doesn't work for the APFT.....

One last thing run, run, run, till you PUKE

Good Luck
RLTW

"If you can't be smart, at least be quiet til you know who's in the fucking room" - Ranger Cams

B Co. 2/75 84-86 RS 1-86
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Run and swim. Constantly. Both will aid your lung strength and capacity, thus improving you overall score on the other aspects of the PT test as well.

You will be required to pass a water survival test in full BDU's (ACU's) with rifle, boots, FULL canteens and the rest of your LBE to get to Batt., and again in Batt on a regular basis.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Columbus
Tadpole

Question

Post by Columbus »

Quick quewstion regarding the APFT..... when you do the push-up section, does your chest have to touch the ground or how deep do you have to go? I did a search on "proper pushup" but couldn't get any good results. Anyone? I just want to know how I should practice.

Thanks Rangers.
RTO
BANNED

Re: Question

Post by RTO »

Columbus wrote:Quick quewstion regarding the APFT..... when you do the push-up section, does your chest have to touch the ground or how deep do you have to go? I did a search on "proper pushup" but couldn't get any good results. Anyone? I just want to know how I should practice.

Thanks Rangers.
You will be judged on wether you 'break the plane' To do that, yes, your chest may have to hit the ground, but not always. Depends on how you do your pushups i.e. arms wide or close-in etc...

Many times when I was graded, I had someone with their flat hand/palm under my chest. When my chest hit the hand, I was going down far enough.
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

Thanks Ranger RTO.
Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

Welcome. You have been given good advice take it.

Run, swim and work on your deficiencies and most of all have a target (workout target) that you need to achieve and hit every time. If you don’t start pushing yourself now you’ll fall by the wayside later.

Good luck.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
scubask
Tadpole

Post by scubask »

Standards:

Pushups - body must be straight like a board from your head to feet and the body must move as one unit (like no sagging or arching in the middle while you are doing the pushups). Hands and feet must remain in contact with the ground at all times. In the up position your elbows must be straight. In the down position your elbows must be at least 90 degrees and you should be able to see a straight line from your L elbow to shoulders to R elbow (parallel to the ground). In the up position you may bend in the middle to rest, but you must straighten out before you continue. It wouldn't hurt to do pushups in front of a mirror to ensure your form is correct.

Situps - hands interlocked behind the head at all times, your ass has to stay on the ground, and knees must be bent. In the down position your shoulder has to touch the ground. In the up position your ass to shoulder must break vertical. You may only rest in the up position.

2 mi run - pretty much explains itself.

There are a lot of good posts in here about improving your run. Keep running and running...and good luck.
USMA 1996-2000
3/2 ID 2001-2003, 2005
3/1 SFG(A) 2003-2004
OIF 2004
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Your physical size doesn't make as much difference an you might think.

One of the most in shape and physically fit Rangers I had the privilege of working for was on the small side (about 5'8") not that big, and looked and walked like his best years were behind him. I'll tell you what though, he could PT most mortals into their graves. (To be honest, I don't think he had a pain threshold) He wasn't the fastest or the strongest, but he could leave dudes half his age lying on the side of the road puking last nights dinner. I've seen it. Hell, I've felt it! Whimpering like a little bitch, "Please make the bad man stop.." All he did was simple calisthenics for PT; push ups, sit ups, flutterkicks, the lot.. and used very little resistance (ie-weight) training. I think the most I saw him use was a homemade 50 pound barbell. Just lots of repetitions.

For ideas on how to improve your run, google the word "FARTLEK" and see what you come up with.

Good luck.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

Don't forget to work on your swimming big time. It's for your own safety( do you realize just how much water is around us?) as well as a hell of a good low impact cardio- driven exercize. This is coming from a former Navy Diver so I admit I'm biased.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

Thanks for all the replies. I've already began a push-up regimen that I'm testing out and will start running here in about a week.
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

Rangers, I have a question regarding the APFT.

Well, when I posted my results ealier they were flawed. I didn't properly research how to conduct an APFT and took too much time between events, being hours between a few.

I know the order is push-ups, sit-ups, 2-mile run, and pull-ups (palms facing in?) But how much rest is allowed between events? I assume a couple of minutes but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the help Rangers. I will try to finish my new APFT as soon as possible (I have a long school/work week until Friday.)

Thanks,

-Columbus
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

(palms facing in?) yes.

In regards to your next question, NO time is allowed between events. Train that way.

However, in practice, depending on the unit, weather, graders, how many of you skinney little twerps are taking the test etc...etc...
you may get one or possibbly two minutes break between events.
Unlikely, but I've seen it happen.
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

Thanks for the help Ranger RTO. I'll post the results sometime this weekend when I can take the test.
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Columbus wrote:Thanks for the help Ranger RTO. I'll post the results sometime this weekend when I can take the test.
Don't bullshit us this time.

There's no way you're doing 15 pull-ups if you can only do 35 push-ups.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

Ranger Kilted Heathen: Yeah, I don't know. I really did do 15 chin-ups though, but you're right, I was 100% fresh so there's no way I could do that many tired. After all that exercise I'll be lucky to do ten. I think they come a bit easier to me though because I'm only 120 lbs. Don't know what the problem is with the push-ups... I've bene working on them though so we'll see.

Anyway, I'll have it posted either Saturday or Sunday night. I'll be sure to do it right this time.

Return to “Introduction Archive”