--- Introduction ---

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Columbus
Tadpole

--- Introduction ---

Post by Columbus »

Hey everybody. I'm from Columbus, Ohio as indicated by my username, currently in the later years of my H.S. career and looking at possibly going into the military after school. Still deciding, but regardless, the Rangers interest me and I'm here just to learn from the experience of those who are doing it/have done it.

Just in case I do want to do it, I workout a lot now trying to stay in good shape. I'm convinced that I'll eventually go into the military, just deciding if I want to go before or after college.

So that's about it, look forward to learning from you guys.

- Columbus
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome to the site. Please read and follow the Rules Of Engagement Private Message I am sending you.
roadtheshortbus
Ranger

Post by roadtheshortbus »

Possibly Welcome......Eventually Welcome.. :roll:

Where in Columbus ?
RLTW

"If you can't be smart, at least be quiet til you know who's in the fucking room" - Ranger Cams

B Co. 2/75 84-86 RS 1-86
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome to the site Columbus.

PM inbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and thanks for your interst in Army Rangers.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

All right, Columbus, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. You are just marginal. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. I see that you have been provided some introduction to the site information. On this site, we are not "you guys," we are Rangers. Please take a few minutes to tell us more about yourself, and give yourself a PT test. Please complete these tasks before midnight tomorrow, 12 March 2008.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

All right, Columbus, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. You are just marginal. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. I see that you have been provided some introduction to the site information. On this site, we are not "you guys," we are Rangers. Please take a few minutes to tell us more about yourself, and give yourself a PT test. Please complete these tasks before midnight tomorrow, 12 March 2008.
Sorry about the "you guys" thing Ranger Jim, it won't happen again.

I will do a sample PT test this afternoon and post my results later this evening.
Possibly Welcome......Eventually Welcome..

Where in Columbus ?
Ranger Roadtheshortbus: I'm on the west/southwest side just outside I-270.

A little further background on myself...

Not much to tell, I'm a 17 year old male currently in my Junior year of High School. Between taking the ACT and everyone preparing for college, I know I need to make some decisions. Therefore, I'm contemplating going into the Army/USMC after High School and the Army Rangers interest me more at the moment than any others. I should mention I'm not looking for a career in the military but instead 4-5 years. I eventually want to have a career in law enforcement.

I used to play sports a lot when I was younger but my height got in my way. I'm still short but at least I'm nearing average (I'm 5'7" and 120ish lbs.) I'm trying to put on size and am into lifting as a hobby. I also should mention I'm currently working an office job for a construction company.

There are things standing in my way to become a Ranger, but I know I can overcome them with some hard work. I can't swim and plan on learning this June as I know I'm going to need that skill. I don't have great vision either but it's correctable to 20/20 with contact lenses.

Physically, I'm not the biggest guy or the strongest guy but I'm working on it. As mentioned before, I'm 5'7" and around 120-123 lbs. I haven't done bodyweight exercises such as psuh-ups in a while so I'll have to try that later... all I mainly have been working on is weight-lifting. Currently I'm dead-lifting in the neighborhood of 230 lbs. and benching 145 lbs. Not spectacular but definitely better than I started.

Again, I'll post up some P.T. stuff tonight after work.

Thanks for the welcome Rangers, look forward to seeing your replies later.

- Columbus
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Welcome to the Site Columbus. If you use the search button you will find more answers than questions. Good luck.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
Columbus
Tadpole

Physical Test- APFT

Post by Columbus »

Well Rangers, as asked of me, I completed a standard APFT and my results were awful (in my personal opinion.) I thank you Ranger Jim, for having me do this because I now realize I need to work on more cardio and body-type exercises as opposed to all weight-training. Anyway, here's what I did:

2 MIN. PUSH-UPS:

35. Corresponding Score: 50

2 MIN. SIT-UPS:

90. Corresponding Score: 100

2-MILE RUN:

18:25. Corresponding Score: 24

TOTAL SCORE: 174

Those are my results, obviously the run is my worst area. Don't know why I lacked in the other events but excelled in the Sit-Ups because I thought all the categories would be pretty similar... probably just because I'm a smaller guy.

What's a "recommended" score to actually become a Ranger? I know the minimum is probably a lot lower than that, but I want to train to pass, not just start. I also realize I need to aim to do better than the recommended score, but still, what's realistic? Any personal scores?

Thanks Rangers, the help is appreciated. I'm open to any suggestions, comments, etc.

Thanks again,

- Columbus
RTO
BANNED

Re: Physical Test- APFT

Post by RTO »

Columbus wrote:
What's a "recommended" score to actually become a Ranger? I know the minimum is probably a lot lower than that, but I want to train to pass, not just start. I also realize I need to aim to do better than the recommended score, but still, what's realistic? Any personal scores?

Thanks Rangers, the help is appreciated. I'm open to any suggestions, comments, etc.

Thanks again,

- Columbus

There would only be one "recommended" score to actually become a Ranger. That # would be 300 (in the 17-21 year old age group, of course). IMHO, any score less than that is taking a very large gamble you may not meet the physical requirements of RIP.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Your sit up score is actually fairly decent, assuming they were graded properly.
Your pushups need to at least double to 70+ solid pushups,
and you need to shave about 6 minutes off of your 2 mile run time in order to be competitive.
Also, you want to be able to do at least 10 palm-facing-in-all-the-way-up-all-the-way-down pull ups after your AFPT as well.
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

Thanks Ranger RTO. I figured my responses would be to go for 300, dumb question on my part. But really though, does the average Rangers actually do better than a 300 on the APFT? Wow, that's amazing.

In response to your other statement, I can do around 15 palms-facing-in pull-ups (I call them chin-ups) and about 12 palms-facing-out. Of course, you said after the other three events so I don't know about then.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Columbus wrote:Thanks Ranger RTO. I figured my responses would be to go for 300, dumb question on my part. But really though, does the average Rangers actually do better than a 300 on the APFT? Wow, that's amazing.

In response to your other statement, I can do around 15 palms-facing-in pull-ups (I call them chin-ups) and about 12 palms-facing-out. Of course, you said after the other three events so I don't know about then.

I would have to say the "average" Ranger is in better shape physically than the "average" Professional Athelete. Is it possible to get to a Ranger Bn. with less than a 300 APFT? Yes.

Is it possible to continue being a Bn. Ranger with less than a 300 APFT? I suppose anything is possible, but more than likely you would be "encouraged" to have at least a 300 soon after you got there.... :twisted:
Columbus
Tadpole

Post by Columbus »

Is it possible for me to get a mentor on here as someone mentioned or do I have to enlist first? Just looking for someone to communicate with via PM's concerning the Rangers... if not, that's ok.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Physical Test- APFT

Post by Jim »

Columbus wrote:Well Rangers, as asked of me, I completed a standard APFT and my results were awful (in my personal opinion.) I thank you Ranger Jim, for having me do this because I now realize I need to work on more cardio and body-type exercises as opposed to all weight-training. Anyway, here's what I did:

2 MIN. PUSH-UPS:

35. Corresponding Score: 50

2 MIN. SIT-UPS:

90. Corresponding Score: 100

2-MILE RUN:

18:25. Corresponding Score: 24

TOTAL SCORE: 174

Those are my results, obviously the run is my worst area. Don't know why I lacked in the other events but excelled in the Sit-Ups because I thought all the categories would be pretty similar... probably just because I'm a smaller guy.

Thanks again,

- Columbus
The reason I asked you to administer a PT test for yourself is to determine your training baseline. You hit it right when you observe that you need to improve your running. Please ensure that you invest in some good running shoes and then wear them out. After you have a contract we can discuss a mentor. For now, start running and learn to swim -- yes, you can come into the Army without being able to swim -- but I wouldn't recommend it. Never, never quit!!!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introduction Archive”