Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Blackheart
Embryo

Introduction

Post by Blackheart »

Good Morning Rangers,
My name is Zach and I'm 21 years old. I do not currently have a contract to join any Armed Forces, which is the main reason why I have signed up to this site.. to seek guidance and find the correct path for myself to achieve. A little background information about me, I was born and raised in the Tidewater area in Virginia, more specifically Newport News. I have played many sports competitive and non throughout my life, mostly soccer. I'm a high school grad. with about two semesters worth of college credit. I currently work at the Newport News Shipyard doing pipe design on the new CVN78 aircraft carrier. My job brings me a good amount of job satisfaction knowing that I am helping to build the BEST ships to support our Navy and other armed forces which get use from carriers. However, as much as I like my job, I am ready to take the fight to a new front.

Sad to say I'm very indecisive about the first steps to take. I'm not sure if I want to join the Army or perhaps Marines. I do know that I want to do some type of Infantry work. Becoming a Ranger would be excellent, but I have doubts that I would be able to handle it physically. I used to be in the best shape of my life right up until I ended my soccer career and decided not to play in college, but I had since fallen off the mark. I started smoking ciggarettes and drank like a fish, smoked drugs, etc. That's when I decided to turn over a new leaf. I still smoke cigg's just less, I quit drinking and drugs. I started doing positive things however. I started getting back into shape (Not even close yet.) running, biking, lifting, and I even joined an adult soccer league. I administered my own fitness test and for lack of a better word I sucked. My upper body strength needs considerable work compared to my other scores. I think my main problem was going from the style pushups I had used to do, and then doing military ones touching my chest to the ground. Needless to say my arms and elbows have been hurting quite alot lately.

PU- 30
SU- 67
2 Mile- 12:25

I look at these scores and see failure. I don't like to doubt myself and try to be realistic as possible, I do have a fear of failure though. Anyways, I'm sure you Rangers are sick of reading this by now so let me wrap it up. Long story short, I want to serve my country in the best way possible, and have come here to seek guidance from professionals about paths to take.

Thanks for your time and sorry if the post is too long.

Good day Rangers.

Zach, out.
T Man
Ranger

Post by T Man »

I'll add, as disappointing as your scores may be to you, people with much worse than that enlist every day.

You have a good starting point. Look at them as a starting point and continue to improve them and there is no shame in them. Look at them as "what you'll do when it counts" and you can go turn on your favorite cooking show and get fat.

You have an admitted fear of failure. I'd suggest that all successful people, be they Ranger or civilian or otherwise, have some degree of a fear of failure. It's one of the things that drives us to our goals. Don't let it cripple you with indecision, harness it for motivation, and exploit that shit to accomplish any goal or desire you want.
Anytime a placenta hits you in the head, you know you're in a dirty place.

--------------------------------
C Co, 3/75 '96-'98
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

YOU are the only one who can decide whether or not you will fail. You WILL succeed if you adopt a "WILL DO" attitude, learn what will be required of you, and do it.

Quitting is not an option!

Good luck to you.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

You have to have the attitude that if there are only two men left standing, you'll be one of them......and when there's only one left, it'll be you!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Capellanus
Ranger

Post by Capellanus »

I administered my own fitness test and for lack of a better word I sucked. My upper body strength needs considerable work compared to my other scores. I think my main problem was going from the style pushups I had used to do, and then doing military ones touching my chest to the ground. Needless to say my arms and elbows have been hurting quite alot lately.

PU- 30=43 failed you need to do 42 to pass at 60pts but should work do above 60 which will put you in the 90+ area.
SU- 67 = 82pts--good but 78 will get you 100pts (max)
2 Mile- 12:25=100pts (you are maxing this event be proud of yourself)

I look at these scores and see failure. I don't like to doubt myself and try to be realistic as possible, I do have a fear of failure though.
Ok stud at age 21 you score is good with the exception of you PUs (see above). When doing PUs you only have to come parallel to the ground. If you are touching your chest to the ground you are going too far and are over tasking your arms and shoulders. Once your muscles recover in a day or so give yourself another PU test in the proper form. I bet you will find that your PUs have increased to at least 45 if not more.

Your PT scores don’t concern me as much as your lack of confidence in yourself. To become a Ranger you MUST BELIEVE in yourself. There is an old quote that says:

“If you think you can or you think you can’t you’re right:â€
RGR Capellanus
6th RTB (Jun 12-present)
2/75 Rgr. Bn. ( July 10-Jun 11)
1-32 IN, 3BCT, 10th MTN, DIV (07-10)
B Co. 1/75 Rgr. Bn. (92-97)
RGR Class 8-94
OEF (Aug 11-Dec 11)
OEF (Oct 10-Jan 11)
OEF IX/X (Jan 09-Jan 10)
"As Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:7)
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site. Good intro. Research your options (Marines vs. Army), and take a close look at the MOS/Units you'd be interested in. Both routes are noble.

If you decide on the Ranger path, you have to want it 110% in every cell of your body. Otherwise, you'll be another statistic. From looking at how you are changing the direction of your life, I personally believe that you could reach such a goal. Of course this is based soley on your introduction, as I've never laid eyes on you before.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Welcome...being a Ranger is 90% mental young'un. The battle is first and foremost always in your mind.
Capellanus
Ranger

Post by Capellanus »

Ok stud at age 21 you score is good with the exception of you PUs (see above). When doing PUs you only have to come parallel to the ground.
Correction: What I meant to say was that your elbows must be parallel to your chest in the down position, not necessarily parallel to the ground. Another Ranger will come along shortly and explain it better than I.
RGR Capellanus
6th RTB (Jun 12-present)
2/75 Rgr. Bn. ( July 10-Jun 11)
1-32 IN, 3BCT, 10th MTN, DIV (07-10)
B Co. 1/75 Rgr. Bn. (92-97)
RGR Class 8-94
OEF (Aug 11-Dec 11)
OEF (Oct 10-Jan 11)
OEF IX/X (Jan 09-Jan 10)
"As Iron sharpens Iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:7)
Blackheart
Embryo

Post by Blackheart »

Thank you for the correction on my PU form Ranger Capellanus.
FIST TEAM LTR
Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by FIST TEAM LTR »

Blackheart wrote:Good Morning Rangers,
My name is Zach and I'm 21 years old. I do not currently have a contract to join any Armed Forces, which is the main reason why I have signed up to this site.. to seek guidance and find the correct path for myself to achieve. A little background information about me, I was born and raised in the Tidewater area in Virginia, more specifically Newport News. I have played many sports competitive and non throughout my life, mostly soccer. I'm a high school grad. with about two semesters worth of college credit. I currently work at the Newport News Shipyard doing pipe design on the new CVN78 aircraft carrier. My job brings me a good amount of job satisfaction knowing that I am helping to build the BEST ships to support our Navy and other armed forces which get use from carriers. However, as much as I like my job, I am ready to take the fight to a new front.

Sad to say I'm very indecisive about the first steps to take. I'm not sure if I want to join the Army or perhaps Marines. I do know that I want to do some type of Infantry work. Becoming a Ranger would be excellent, but I have doubts that I would be able to handle it physically. I used to be in the best shape of my life right up until I ended my soccer career and decided not to play in college, but I had since fallen off the mark. I started smoking ciggarettes and drank like a fish, smoked drugs, etc. That's when I decided to turn over a new leaf. I still smoke cigg's just less, I quit drinking and drugs. I started doing positive things however. I started getting back into shape (Not even close yet.) running, biking, lifting, and I even joined an adult soccer league. I administered my own fitness test and for lack of a better word I sucked. My upper body strength needs considerable work compared to my other scores. I think my main problem was going from the style pushups I had used to do, and then doing military ones touching my chest to the ground. Needless to say my arms and elbows have been hurting quite alot lately.

PU- 30
SU- 67
2 Mile- 12:25

I look at these scores and see failure. I don't like to doubt myself and try to be realistic as possible, I do have a fear of failure though.[/Anyways, I'm sure you Rangers are sick of reading this by now so let me wrap it up. Long story short, I want to serve my country in the best way possible, and have come here to seek guidance from professionals about paths to take.

Thanks for your time and sorry if the post is too long.

Good day Rangers.

Zach, out.

Just bust your ass and give it your best shot. The true failures in life are the people that never give it a go. You will miss 100% of the shots you never take.
Never give up, never quit, never admit it is over.
Good Luck
1st Ranger Bn HHC 1978-81
A Company FIST Team
RGR Class 9-79
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Welcome.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Crabba Alumn here, when I graduated HS, I had two choices, join the Army or join the Shipyard's 'Apprenticeship' program.

I chose the Army because I wanted to do something different than the rest of the males in my family.

BTW, that was a decision that I will never regret!

Good luck in your quest,

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde

Return to “Introduction Archive”