New Guy

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

NoNothing

New Guy

Post by NoNothing »

Thought I would introduce myself here. I am a freshman in college and I am thinking about Army Rangers/Army SF/Force Recon Marines either after college or maybe I will drop out and enlist for four years and go to college afterwards. College life is good but I am sick of watching American Soldiers die on TV I want to be where the action is at. All I do is study and get wasted and fuck. Maybe I just want to be a "badass" but I really fucking hate terrorists and I would love to have my chance at them. The hardest part would be dropping out and then enlisting. My parents hate the military and it would probably be hard on the family, but I guess I have to do what I have to do. I used to just base my life on trying to make money but now I desire to serve my country and get some life experiences under my belt. I admit I come from a very wealthy family and I have been spoiled in some ways, but not nearly as much as my peers.
knightcat
Ranger

sounds familiar

Post by knightcat »

I admire the thought...but actions speak louder than words.

I did it, it just takes a little initiative.

knightcat
You better pack a lunch......because I'll be hungry when I'm done beating your ass!!

RS class 05-06
28JUNE2005- R.I.P. brothers 146
C-1 Madslashers 2/75 (Sept. '04- Nov. '07)
RIP Sarn't Mac.....
NoNothing

Post by NoNothing »

What is your current status?
knightcat
Ranger

DEP

Post by knightcat »

DEP
11x opt. 40
Feb. 4th 2004

I was a student just like you and had your same thoughts. Just suck it up and do it...don't pussy foot around. But honestly, I was in your exact situation.
You better pack a lunch......because I'll be hungry when I'm done beating your ass!!

RS class 05-06
28JUNE2005- R.I.P. brothers 146
C-1 Madslashers 2/75 (Sept. '04- Nov. '07)
RIP Sarn't Mac.....
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

NoNothing - I was in the exact same situation..... I was going to UC for mechanical engineering and was doing great and actually liked it..... 3 of my best friends had signed up, and my best friend was already in the marines and talking about getting sent to afghanistan/iraq..... There was no fucking way I was going to sit around reading books/drinking/and fucking bitches when my best friends were out slaying terrorists and having lead bullets fly at their heads....... So right after spring quarter (about 7 months ago) I went and enlisted with the option 40 contract and ship feb 10. It just so happens that one of those 3 friends have an option 40 and leave feb 10 as well...... should be interesting! Also, I PLAN on finishing my degree ASAP when I get out, but who knows what will end up happening............ and my parents were kind of pissed, but they will be alright! :D

COWBOY UP AND SEE THE RECRUITER!!!!!!! :twisted:
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

Ok wannabees. Here is the straight shit. Same situation 12 years ago. I actually had a Bachelors degree already. I enlisted. 12 years later the best thing I ever did was be a Ranger. Learned more, grew up more and got to do some of the coolest things in the world. I also got to serve with the best men in the world. There is no one in college that will be as close as your Ranger buddies will be.

How did it prepare me for the real world after. Now I have my MBA, own my own business and am the Mayor of a small town.

So it is time to shut up and join up. You will see the world, get the opportunity to give the bad guys the opportunity to die for their country and get the best experience and training you will ever get. You will be successful afterwards because you can't survive in the Rangers without being motivated and smart. I know of very few Rangers who end up with fucked up lives later.

So drop the spoiled life, grow up and start the real road to being successful.

Ranger2
USA1
Ranger

Post by USA1 »

Thats exactly what I did. Hated college, didn't accomplish anything besides getting fucking wasted all the time and getting in trouble. I dropped out and went to the recruiting station. Now I have a Ranger contract and I ship out in February. My parents aren't happy but they'll get over it.
NoNothing

Post by NoNothing »

I am sure this issue has already been torn apart as I did a little searching on the thread. I still don't know. This is a HUGE step for me.
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

NoNothing wrote: This is a HUGE step for me.
Of course it is...you will be voluntarily putting your own life in harm's way. It is a tremendous step. You may be getting a glimpse at a tiny part of the bond we share with each other as Rangers. There are no better men on this planet. The fact that you are contemplating giving up so very much to go do the dirty work for this country speaks volumes about who you are. Just remember, it's for keeps. It's not a movie or a spur of the moment adventure. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the site.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

ViolentIndecision,
one of the things in life that makes you an adult is the ability to make a decision. You already know in your heart what you want to do, all you have to do now is get the balls to do it and don't look back. You only get one go at life, you have to go for it. If you're going to be a pussy all your life, you might as well just shoot yourself now and save yourself from all the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" feelings that will come later.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Ranger2

Post by Ranger2 »

My dad was pissed at me for awhile. He thought I was doing it to piss him off after he kicked me out of the house. Then he thought I was wasting my college degree. It really came down to him kicking me out for me to finally decide to do it. Otherwise I was just like you, somewhere in the middle, scared to really commit to it.

Now he is so pro-military it is unbelieveable. He knows what it did for me and he is so proud of what I did. He pinned on my Ranger tab at Ranger School graduation. Your parents will be pissed, then they will be scared but in the end they will be proud.

I have found out over the past 12 years that a very few families sacrifice for all of us. Some lost family members and some didn't. Some families have all their kids serve in the military. How is that fair? Some families know very well that freedom isn't free and others take it for granted everyday. In fact if your from a rich family your family owes the rest of us your service. Mine paid with my service, what has yours done?

The last thing you want is to be sitting behind a desk 20 years from now regretting that you didn't have the balls to protect what you have. You will have let someone else do it for you. Suck it up and join. You will never regret it. I never have. In fact the only regret I have is getting out.

Ranger2
NoNothing

Post by NoNothing »

I appreciate all of the input.
Ranger
Ranger/Admin

Post by Ranger »

NoNothing wrote:I appreciate all of the input.
You got our fucking input before, dumbass, when you signed onto the site as 'Pathus' and got banned for being an idiot, making stupid comments and asking stupid, repetitive and obviously inane questions.

Do you really think we're stupid enough to not notice?

Your next post better contain a goddamned sweet apology or you'll be gone again and quick. Feign ignorance and there will be unforseen future consequences.
DO NOT PM ME
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Cat wrote: My father fought hard with me that night in my hotel room and I couldn’t understand why- he was the son of a WWII Vet and he himself was a Vietnam Vet. My family respected the military and service but they didn’t want their baby -the youngest of three- to go.
Cat, that was an awesome post. Thank you for sharing that experience. I'm sure every DEPer on this site can glean something from your post that they are themselves experiencing.

As far as your dad's feelings, you will understand them as you grow older and have your own children. Although I have never met him, I can assure you, without a doubt, that he is one of the proudest fathers in this country.

Fortunately, my boys are a long way from being warrior-age. But, I have watched the sons and daughters of my buddies enlist. It is a strange blend of emotions when that occurs. A part of me is proud that they are upholding the tradition and serving their country. Another part of me is happy for them when they get deployed to the front lines, since I know they are excited about getting to do what they are trained to do. And yet there is a part of me that is scared to death that they might come home in a body bag.

When you have lost friends to war, it teaches you how final an enlistment came become. It gives you a big taste of the many lives that are damaged and destroyed when one life is instantly taken away.

The son of one of my long-time friends is going to Bagdad next month. I watched this kid grow up, took him fishing, went hunting and hiking with him, etc. He got married to his high school sweetheart a month ago. He is currently stationed in Texas and is serving as a medic in an infantry unit.

When he and his new wife joined us for Thanksgiving last month, it was the first time that I had seen him in 8 or 9 years. It hit me pretty quickly that he had grown into a man...a warrior. It was quite a revelation to see that the funny little kid who always ate too much garlic turn into the big, lean grunt.

As I think about what lies ahead for him, I am immensely proud of him. As a young firefighter, he left Washington 'sua sponte' and went to Ground Zero, NYC to donate his time, energy, and experience after 9/11. He later enlisted and is slated to go to war after Christmas.

The events surrounding 9/11 left a mark (a positive one) on his character. He made some decisions about what he was going to do about it, stepped up to the plate, and did them.

Believe me though, although I am not an extremeley religious type, he is in my daily prayers. I hope that he becomes a living hero and not a dead one.

I guess that the point I'm trying to make is this: for many of you, your parents are fighting with you about your enlistment because they fear loosing you, not because they are anti-military. As a parent, I can sympathize with them.

At the same time, however, I understand that when a person is called to serve, they should follow their heart and do it. I would never want to be the poor man who lies on his deathbed in a Nursing Home, wishing that he had done this or that with his life. If I died tomorrow, I can honestly say that I am happy with the choices I've made thus far. I would want my son or daughter to be able to say that as well.

The thing about Rangers is this...a man is better off going after that goal, while in his prime (18-20 tears old). If he truly have what it takes, and has an honest desire to get it, he should jump on it and run with it. Every year it gets put off, it becomes easier to avoid. Then, in the end, he has failed by not attacking his dreams and goals.

Just my thoughts on the whole thing. Thanks again for the post, Cat. You've got a good head on your shoulders.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.

Return to “Introduction Archive”