Paleo

This forum is the place to share you favorite recipes.
goon175
Ranger

Paleo

Post by goon175 »

Wondering if anyone on here eats according to the Paleo diet? If so, I'd like to start this thread for sharing Paleo-friendly recipes, I know there is a lot out there.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Paleo

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I eat a lot of meat, fish, and vegetables. Very little to none of dairy and bread, but I can't say that I avoid everything on the Paleo restriction list especially beans ,potatoes,sweet potatoes and beer.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Flesh Thorn wrote: and beer.
:shock: end of discussion..
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

sweet potatoes actually are paleo. and beer is my one exception, but its once a week or every other week. Here are two of my favorite recipes:

Chicken and Sweep Potatoes with Shallots

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 2" pieces
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 Tbs coconut oil
4 (4-6 oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 shallots, sliced into thick rings
2 Tbs fresh rosemary, chopped

Instructions:
Wash and chop sweet potatoes. Place in a large pot and cover with cold water.
Bring pot to a boil. Once boiling, add 1 tsp sea salt and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until tender (about 14-16 minutes).
Reserve 1/4 cup of cooking water. Drain remaining liquid and return sweet potatoes to pot. Mash with reserved cooking water.
Mean while, season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper.
Heat 4 Tbs coconut oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
When pan is hot, add sliced shallots and rosemary and cook for a minute.
Add chicken breasts to pan and pan-fry until golden brown and fully cooked (7-8 min per side).
Serve with mashed sweet potatoes on the side.

Steak of the Caveman

Ingredients:
Your favorite kind of beef steak (filet, ribeye, porterhouse, sirloin, etc)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Instructions:
Bring oven up to 500 degrees.
Mix seasonings and oil and stir well.
Brush steaks with oil mixture.
Heat 1 Tbs of olive oil in cast iron pan over medium heat.
Sear steaks on both sides, browning until you red is gone.
Put cast iron pan in oven.
Cook for one or two minutes and then flip steaks and return to oven.
Two minutes for each side will yield a medium rare steak.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Found this site for the Paleo Diet stuff. http://paleodietlifestyle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the articles debunk the b.s. such as sweet potatoes being off of the list. As a matter of fact I am getting ready to make sweet potatoe fries to go with my steak.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I just cut a sweet potatoe into wedges, dipped the wedges in olive oil and sprinkled them with salt and cinnamon. Bakes at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. I then used a couple of tea spoons of Mr. Melvin Powell's honey from up the road to dip the taters in. FUCKING AWESOME !
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Definately trying that this week.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Anyone into eating bone marrow ? I am going to see if I can get a beef leg bone and roast it, split it open and get to the good stuff inside. Just about all cultures prized the marrow at one time. I understand that it is starting to appear on menus in some upscale restaurants. More to follow if I can find a leg bone.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

So far, so good for me. We have really adjusted well to this style of eating. We do not incorporate "cheat days" or anything like that, but will occasionally eat something non-paleo, for instance we went and saw "warrior" last night (awesome movie), and grabbed some popcorn. I just generally over-all feel better, and have dropped some weight that I acquired after leaving batt. last year.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

"The modern dietary regimen known as the Paleolithic diet (abbreviated paleo diet or paleodiet), also popularly referred to as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various human species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era—a period of about 2.5 million years duration that ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture."
The average life expectancy of humans in the Paleolithic Era was between 30 and 40 years, so why would you want to eat that way?
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

To be blunt:

-I don't think there short life span was attributed to there diet.
-I find no way that meat, fruits, vegetables, and seeds are harmful.
-I feel better now than I ever have after starting this way of eating.

I will never say that this is the best way to eat, the only healthy way to eat, or that it is even for everyone. But it definately works for me and my wife. Taking all the preservatives, etc. out of our diets has been great. Alot of the paleo-friendly recipes we have been using are some of the best home cooked meals I have ever had. I fully realize it is a bit off the beaten path, but then again, who hear hasn't done or tried something a bit off the beaten path?
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

goon175 wrote: -I feel better now than I ever have after starting this way of eating.
X2
The diet is really about trying to eat what our bodies adapted to over 2.5 million years of evolution v. 10,000 of agriculture. Of course the idea is to come as close as possible realizing that the food today isn't exactly the same as the wild food from 12,000 years ago. An occasional Big Mac probably isn't going to make much difference either not to mention that sometimes you are going to have to be happy with what you are served when you are a dinner guest. With hunting season coming on, I hope to practice some true paleolithic dieting. 8)

Oh yeah, I found some beef soup bones already cut up into pieces at the grocery store. More to follow.
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Return to “Ranger Culinary University”