Finnish M39s

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
IntelToad
Ranger

Finnish M39s

Post by IntelToad »

Got two today delivered today, a Sako and a B barrel (Browning barrel.) Both in great shape, will post pics.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Finnish M39s

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Did you buy from Classic?
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

al_2ndWolfhounds wrote:Did you buy from Classic?
Yep, that's where I got them.

I have to admit I was pretty worried about some of the negative stuff I've read about them (lots of bad reviews if you google them) and the condition of the rifles that they sell, but the two I got were in great shape. Maybe I got lucky, or maybe many gun owners don't realize that "military surplus" means "got used hard." :D

The Sako had a couple of small dings in the stock, but no cracks and the grain pattern was really nice. I used some refinishing stain and some stock wax and it looks great. The barrel also cleaned up well and is now nice and bright, no pitting or rust of any kind. When I took it all apart, the only problem that I found was a pretty deep crack about a 1/16th of an inch long on the bolt connector. No biggie, I ordered a new one online for $ 6.00 and I won't shoot it until I replace it.

The B Barrel was in fantastic shape, the stock looks brand new. The barrel definitely has the brown / purple shade that they talk about with this model. I'm not stripping or cleaning this one, it went straight into the safe still covered in cosmoline and with the hand tag attached. I'll shoot the Sako and keep the B as it is.

I've notice milsurp prices going through the roof the last couple of years, and supplies drying up, so I figured if I was going to get an M39 now was the time to get one.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Here is the crack I found on the Sako, right there on the lug almost shaped like a cartridge.

Better safe than sorry, I don't want the bolt to blow up in my face so I'm getting a new part of a few bucks.

S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Sako is on the left, B barrel is on the right.

S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Thanks for the update and pics. I currently own 4 prewar Russian make Mosins and have wanted a Finnish model but I also have read a lot of bad reviews about Classic. I guess it is my time to step up and take a chance, no B barrels left now.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

al_2ndWolfhounds wrote:Thanks for the update and pics. I currently own 4 prewar Russian make Mosins and have wanted a Finnish model but I also have read a lot of bad reviews about Classic. I guess it is my time to step up and take a chance, no B barrels left now.
I just checked too, I had my eye on the last remaining "Sneak" M-39 that was available as of yesterday and now it's gone. All they have left are the Sakos and VKT's. I have one Russian Mosin and these M39s are a completely different animal, so much better built.

A lot of the reviews were really whiny and I got the feeling they were from people that never bought a surplus rifle. With youtube and the whole prepper thing, people have been buying up surplus rifles like crazy. I really like Swiss K31's and have three of them, and they have gone nuts in prices and availability for the same reasons. It is amazing to me that people bitch about a 70 plus year old rifle having dents in the stock. :D The Sako I got has the initials "VZ" carved in the stock. I always like that kind of stuff, you really own something with some history.

I was thinking the same thing, if I was ever going to get one now would be the time. Let me know how it goes if you get one.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987

Return to “Weapons of War”