Sig-ACP (Adaptive Carbine Platform)

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Sig-ACP (Adaptive Carbine Platform)

Post by cams »

My first thought is 'wicked cool, I want one'. No idea of the price yet, of course it's not listed.

I saw what seemed to be a cheaper version of this that a local college police dept was carrying in their trunks for active shooter situations, and utilized a Glock pistol.

It also looked cool, but seemed flimsily made (plastic) and I wasn't impressed with it at the range, didn't feel solid, and had several jams over the course of 3 magazines.

Anyone of the more experienced shooters here have any thoughts on these types of adaptors? I am interested in buying one, but for personal, fun, range use only.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductL ... m-acp.aspx
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Sig-ACP (Adaptive Carbine Platform)

Post by Flesh Thorn »

cams wrote:? I am interested in buying one, but for personal, fun, range use only.
Have you looked into the legalities of your pistol becoming a SBR ?
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
cams wrote:? I am interested in buying one, but for personal, fun, range use only.
Have you looked into the legalities of your pistol becoming a SBR ?
Oh I already know its not legal, especially in this state, I'm surprised we're even allowed to look at it without our monitors being tapped.

In fact my duty pistol (a simple 1911) is not even "Mass compliant" by their laws. Go figure.

My research has found that I can apply for a "Tax Stamp" here, for several hundred dollars, that allows for short barreled rifles/shotguns (semi-auto only). Each SBR would require its own tax stamp, so, it's a loophole, albeit an expensive one.

It's not a must have item, but it would be a fun toy and make the ruck packing list for camping when some money free's up if reviews are positive on it.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

I shot one of the Glock versions (CAA I think) a couple of weeks ago, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I helped the owner put about 6 mags through his, and we didn't have a problem. He had an EOTECH on it, and I was clearing plate racks way faster than I can with just the pistol. I think he said he paid about $400 for his. That doesn't include the stamp of course.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

TC204 wrote:Looks cool anyway! I just held a Sig 229 for the first time, a little small for me but I liked the features. I'm buying a lower for a AR build first thing tomorrow, I had a dream Obama banned the sale of everything.
It's coming. Build it now. Have you seen the football field size sign on the Mass Pike outside of Fenway calling for a federal ban on assault weapons? My retirement can't possibly come fast enough.

Also heard on the radio today at work that they're trying to implement a "Federal ID/Federal prescription to be able to smoke or buy cigarettes"

God help us.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

Here's the Mako version for the Glock. They sell them at the German PX here for about $450
http://www.botachtactical.com/tacglockstock.html
I've never used one, but they look pretty cool. I'm not sure what the law is on them either.
This is also classified as a pistol. I call it the whispering cricket.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Rangerguru wrote:Here's the Mako version for the Glock. They sell them at the German PX here for about $450
http://www.botachtactical.com/tacglockstock.html
I've never used one, but they look pretty cool. I'm not sure what the law is on them either.
This is also classified as a pistol. I call it the whispering cricket.
That's badass. I was jealous seeing all the rifles at the ranch that you can just build or buy over the counter whenever you want without 30pages of paperwork and federal fee's and paying thousands for licenses.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

TC204 wrote:
cams wrote:
TC204 wrote:Looks cool anyway! I just held a Sig 229 for the first time, a little small for me but I liked the features. I'm buying a lower for a AR build first thing tomorrow, I had a dream Obama banned the sale of everything.
It's coming. Build it now. Have you seen the football field size sign on the Mass Pike outside of Fenway calling for a federal ban on assault weapons? My retirement can't possibly come fast enough.

Also heard on the radio today at work that they're trying to implement a "Federal ID/Federal prescription to be able to smoke or buy cigarettes"

God help us.
A couple months ago I took the pike from exit 20 on 93 to Brighton but didn't see the sign, I've heard of it though! At least you get to keep all that LEO only stuff when you retire! Is it true I can't use pre ban mags in a new receiver? No federal ID for voting though eh?
I wish I could give you an answer on that, the laws are so convoluted around here even dealers can't make sense of them, and several have just flat out stopped sending any firearms for sale to Mass because of it.

And being able to keep LEO only gear, that's a no-go as well. I can't even buy a Sig P232, little pea shooter .380 in Mass because it doesn't comply with their safety requirements, whatever those are.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

TC204 wrote:I picked up the lower yesterday, Anderson Manufacturing. A friend that works in the Sheriffs dept said if he retires as scheduled he can keep the 14" M4 he's currently building. Maybe there's a difference in dept policies? He pretty much just does prisoner transfers and highway clean up crews.
Interesting. Is it possible that he's putting a 2" flash suppressor on it, thus making it 16" in compliance with local regulations? Or maybe he has also gone the 'tax stamp' route. I'd be interesting in hearing how that's possible.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Last I checked you don't need to go through the usual rigamarole for NFA toys when you are Active LEO. This is why LEOs can obtain newly made automatic weapons, vs. items manufactured before 1986. I believe once you leave Active LEO status, the BATF treats you like every other 'civilian' out there. Best to check with BATF rather than any state resource.

Putting a 2" flash suppressor on a 14" barrel would only satisfy the 16" requirement if it is welded on.

If your friend is doing prisoner transfers and cleanup crews, I would be under the impression he is still active. If his M4 is full auto & uses a lower manufactured after 1986, I seriously doubt he will be allowed to keep it upon retiring.

If you want to get really granular on the whole NFA process, laws, processing times, methods of getting stamp (trust vs. personal) check out http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.php & http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/. I've been considering suppressors for a couple pea shooters and there is a lot of good info at both sites.

Some of the side conversations on Silencer Talk can get moon-batty pretty quick though.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

TC204 wrote:
I don't think so, I think just being a LEO exempts you from the AWB regulations. I don't know about the firearms act of 1998 though..
NFA rules apply on individual purchases.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “Weapons of War”