what pistol should i buy?

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
CountryBoy101
Inprocessing

what pistol should i buy?

Post by CountryBoy101 »

i am already sold on .40cal. i have narrowed my decisions to:Springfield Armory XD(M); Glock22; Magnum Research Baby Eagle II; or Smith & Wesson M&P. Glock is the only one of the 4 that i have used much if any, and i would like to know how the others stack up against it. durability, reliability, then accuracy are the order of importance. applications are every day carry and backup for hunting & protection
B co 1/75 '96-'98

"Pain is natures way of letting you know that you are still alive."

did the end justify the means?... who cares the job is done
Baseplate
Ranger

Re: what pistol should i buy?

Post by Baseplate »

Goto your local range that rents guns. Rent all of them and put at least 100 rounds through each. Durablity is a non issue all of these guns should allow you to shoot at least 50k rounds through them. All are reliable. All of these pistols are more accurate than you are. That being said I am partial to the M&P. But everyone has thier own opinion.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
CountryBoy101
Inprocessing

Post by CountryBoy101 »

i have talked to a couple of friends w/ the local sheriffs office, one of which has both a the glock and the m&p. going to go to the range and do just as you suggest. after consideration i have narrowed it down to those 2. he claims to have seen the XD fail on 2 occasions, and aside from a 2 round less capacity i dont really like the name of the 'Baby Eagle II' not that the name matters more that just personal appeal in my decision.
B co 1/75 '96-'98

"Pain is natures way of letting you know that you are still alive."

did the end justify the means?... who cares the job is done
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I'm partial to SIG's myself. Just fired the SW/MP .45 last week and I didn't care for it at all, strange trigger squeeze on it, too much play at first then a hard finish at the end of travel. Just my opinion, but that was causing me to anticipate each shot and drop low, this was only about 50 rounds I put thru just for discloser sake, I'm sure with enough time and ammo I could've corrected that, but it was just not comfortable to me at all.

I also don't favor the inter-changable grip sizes, Murphy's Law, the more moving parts it has...

In the past my dept has had 2 diff S/W semi-auto's, 9mm and .40 and both were absolute junk. Because of that experience I'd never buy another semi from them. Revolvers, yes, semi, no.

Have you looked at a Sig229 .40 yet?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

WARNING: This barely pertains to the pistols you listed in your original topic.

I carry a Kahr P-9, just about everywhere I go. Kahr makes a .40 cal version of it. I find the Walther P-99 to be better laid out and generally more pleasant to live with when compared to Glocks, but in my emergency junk I keep a Glock. The Glock (you probably know since you use/used one) is a tank. For some reason I just find the damn thing super trustworthy. I've never had a malfunction with any of those three pistols, but then I'm not that hard on them. I have zero experience with the S&W because I've heard the rumor they sucked. With so many other great choices I never saw the reason to try one. That doesn't mean they're bad. Whatever you get make sure you spring for the night sights. They're worth it and then some. I can see my pistol on the nightstand as soon as I wake up no matter how dark it is. It tells me right off the bat how my pistol is oriented and how to grab it.

***EDITED because I mixed up the M&P and the Walther P-99. Sorry. I don't know anything about the Smith M&P. I do second Cams' notion that S&W makes beautiful revolvers.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

On second thought buy one of each and post a review here. :)
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I have never heard of any one having reliability issues with the XD series. "Gun experts" read:Rednecks that don't own any guns but hang out at the gun shop and run their trap all goddamn day, can be some picky bitches.IF you really like the HK you should just Buy an FNP it is the same gun for half the price. Unless you just really like paying 1200 for a 500 dollar gun
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

To make things ever more confusing..

When I replaced my long ago sold Glock 30 I got a 36. I still wanted the punch of a .45, but thought the single stack magazine would be more compact for concealed carry. I wound up getting the +1 mag extension for it and was very happy. The Mag extension made the pistol much more ergonomic for my big paws. Then I saw a great deal on a used Glock 23. I have a friend who is a Federal Air-Marshal who swears by it. It is his off duty carry piece (as well as that of a few LEO's I know around here..) Ironically, with the mag extension the 36 is physically about the exact same dimensions as the 23. For that reason, I have started to carry the 23 for the extra capacity (13 vs. 7)

Don't be discouraged by the "baby eagle" moniker. If that throws you, go for the IMI/IWI JERICHO 941 model. Same exact pistol. It is a licensed version of the CZ-75. From what I have read on line the pistol is very comfortable to shoot and has great ergonomics. I know guy who was in the IDF 7th Armored Brigade and says he loved it. He described it a work horse pistol: not he most accurate, but it takes a beating works every time he says. Apparently, it is the IDF standard issue. Daddy has wanted one for years, and if I can find one I'm getting it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

I've carried the Glock 22 and an XDm on duty, although the XD was a 9mm. Caliber differences aside, I much prefer the XD over the Glock. I believe my preference is mostly based on ergonomics. My XD is more accurate than my Glock, but not so much so that I'd make a choice just on that. The XD just feels better to me. I shoot the XD noticeably faster than the Glock, but again, 9mm vs .40. I've had no reliability issues with my XD, and just about nobody has them with the G22.

Renting candidates for a "test drive" is always a good idea.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

What is the gun for? Makes a big impact on what to recommend. Personally, I hate a .40. Call me crazy but nothing takes the place of a .45 in my book. Although, I hate when I ask a question and some asshole pops up and throws the question in a different direction!

I did shoot the Springfield XDS today and fell in love!!!!! I was saving for a colt defender but am having a terrible time getting off of a grand for a new pistol. Especially after my recent 6.8 spc build.

Enough mindless rambling, what is the purpose of the gun? My vote would be the springer.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Post by RMP-RLTW »

Oops just reread the post... I still say springer but keep in mind that thinner is better for CC. For me, weight is not as much of an issue as thickness, I carry a full size 1911 all day in a cross breed holster and find it easier to conceal that my double stack sig.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

I'm going to bump this back from the dead, but I'll put in a vote for the
Glock family, specifically the .40 models. I carry a gen 4 G22 on duty, and a gen 3 G23 off duty.
Both are reliable, both go bang when my booger hook hits the switch, and more importantly-
both will hit minute of man farther than I ever plan on engaging with a pistol.
As a bonus feature, all holster/ accessory items are more or less interchangeable, if you buy for the full size.
And even some of the compact stuff transfers over too.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08

Return to “Weapons of War”