Saving Some Cash

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

Saving Some Cash

Post by RMP-RLTW »

If you want a new rifle, get it. Do not for a moment think that you and your buddy are going to train for anything that is close to what you will get in Battalion. No one is expecting you to come in knowing your shit. Wait until you get to your unit and learn all you can. More than likely you are just going to pick up bad habits.

Ryan
RLTW!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Re: Saving Some Cash

Post by GoldCoast »

RMP-RLTW wrote:If you want a new rifle, get it. Do not for a moment think that you and your buddy are going to train for anything that is close to what you will get in Battalion. No one is expecting you to come in knowing your shit. Wait until you get to your unit and learn all you can. More than likely you are just going to pick up bad habits.

Ryan
RLTW!
x2

If you want to buy a rifle then I applaud your effort. Buy the rifle that is going to make you happy, and kill a ton of critters for you. Let the Army use their ammo and equipment to teach you how to shoot Army style.

You will serve yourself better in the long run by focusing on other things at this stage. Here is a short list of things that will help you meet your goal of being a Ranger:

1. PT
2. Memorize the Ranger Creed
3. Get an AKO address
4. Log into (link) Future Soldiers.com and take some classes. I recommend first aid and land navigation.
5. Do some more PT
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

YoungDeerSlayer wrote:So what do I do?
Spend your money on running shoes.

If you feel like your PT is good enough for Ranger Battalion, then I have a friend who recently purchased a SW 15-22 and has nothing but praise for it.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Wait a minute where is your introduction?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Jim wrote:Wait a minute where is your introduction?
http://www.armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Intro found here Sir. Not bad, as long as he stops referring to the Rangers of this site as "you guys".

Young One, as the other Rangers stated, do more PT, save your money and do not expect what you're doing right now to help you, you're only building bad habits that the RASP Instructors will key in on in a heartbeat. Negative attention is not a good thing.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Stud, if I may offer some advice? Instead of spending cash and time getting trained by a SME on CQB (who "may or may not be a SME on CQB") I would recommend concentrating on PT/Land Nav/First Aid/ etc as already offered here. Why you ask?

Since I have been teaching CQB longer than you have been outta diapers I can tell you its MUCH easier to learn it the right way the first time than to try and "un-#$%^ it later and/or correct "bad habits". Just my .02. Good on you for the high motivation level, it should carry you far in your endeavours! 8) Best of luck to you!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I gotta go with the consensus here to not spend any time learning stuff you will have to unlearn later. Believe me, Cams & Colt are correct in that if you roll in there saying "but this is how I was taught by.." you will have very strong arms in short order. The Regiment has their way of doing things that began in Somalia and has been refined and validated over the last 10 years or so. They have taken technique from the best, and I do mean THE BEST and have made it their own. So, unless your friend has a Brit accent, talks lovingly about the Iranian Embassy raid in '80, and drinks Newcastle Brown Ale like soda pop, I would concentrate on PT. Swimming is nice, but you need to be well rounded. A crossfit or P90-X style varied workout would be better.
So, if yer heart wants a new boom stick, then spend the cashish. Otherwise, I wouldn't sweat it.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

YoungDeerSlayer wrote:Thanks Rangers, I appreciate it. No more ''you guys'', thanks for pointing that out. Ranger colt1rgr, whats an SME? And Ranger Sleepy Doc, I'll look into the P90, it must be cool its named after a subgun lol
"SME = Subject Matter Expert"
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

YoungDeerSlayer wrote:Gottcha Ranger colt, my buddie might not be a Ranger or an SAS operator but he does know something. He was an 03 in the corps. and in his last 9 months he was a range instructor.

Not knocking your friend Jeremy's service, but if he was an instructor he knows that there are many
ways to skin the cat, and all of them serve a specific purpose whether you are on a police SWAT team or kickin doors and killin bad guys for any number of teams.
I know the stuff I'm learning is probably completely different to the stuff I will later learn in the Army. But I guess its better to go in knowing what I have learned rather than going in knowing nothing.
I completely disagree with this 100%, and I'll tell ya why; I rolled into Ranger Batt in the summer of '95 as a medic. I already had 5 years experience in the PA National Guard, and left there as an NCO. I had been taught by some very wise and very experienced medics that had served in Vietnam. I had also worked and volunteered as a civilian EMT during that time so I thought I had very good handle on what my job was and how to do it. Ha Ha Ha!.. It is to laugh!.. I found out quickly that I knew nothing

The first thing I realized is that Rangers are passionate about their jobs. I also realized that the bulk of the knowledge comes from people, sometimes their friends, dying. Most of the men who served in Somalia were there to make sure I had my mind right, and one of their goals was to make sure Rangers don't die anymore. ( yes, I was told that. verbatim..)They will teach you all you need to know about CQB, etc.

Believe me when I say that you will be best served by concentrating on your PT, but at the same time staying safe and healthy. Don't get hurt. You are a junior you said? You still have plenty of time to get into the shape you need. Larn ya' some Ranger history. Leaning knots, if you don't know them, will pay dividends. Land nav is also one that will pay off by learning terrain association, pace count, etc. It is equal parts art and science. If you can learn how to move with a map and compass at night you will be far better off than trying your hand at CQB. There will be plenty of time to learn CQB from men that literally re-wrote the manual on it. When it comes to that, they won't care what you learned, or who you learned it from.

Besides, you will appreciate the money later when you really need it. Just Sayin..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Weapons of War”