ArmyRanger.com lower

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Grifter
Ranger

ArmyRanger.com lower

Post by Grifter »

Ok so I am finally assembling the ArmyRanger.com lower that I bought a few years ago.

HH6 got me a lower parts kit and some magpul stuff for Christmas..yeahaw..

Either way so I am one whole step into assembling this thing and I already hit a spot where I am less then eager to push the boundary.

I am ....Installing the Bolt catch roll pin. Its started but seems aweful tight. I have the lower taped (as directed by ar15.c) and have been massaging it with a lite hammer, enough so that I am unsure if it will come back out. But it does not seem to be advancing as it should.

For those of you that have assembled a lower before. Is this a "force it" issue, or should this pin just sorta float in there nice and easy like? The guys at ar15.com appear to use a pair of pliers to squeeze it home, I am driving it with a hammer and it aint moving..

Back late..The rose bowl is starting in a few hrs. Right now ..Philly is leading the Rangers by a goal.. Go Rangers.. heheh
Last edited by Grifter on August 29th, 2012, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Re: ArmyRanger.com lower

Post by GoldCoast »

Roll pin = always use a punch. A small punch set from Harbor Freight plus a light hammer and GENTLE (FUCKING GENTLE RANGER!!!!) tapping will do the trick. If it is fighting with you make sure the bolt catch and the little holes on the receiver line up. If it seems too tight, use a tiny bit of assembly grease, or CLP or whatever else you have.

Also, if you have any other parts or kits laying around, make sure that it is the right roll pin. I have made that mistake before. When you are done we need pics of the weapon, or it never happened. Enjoy your build!

*EDITED TO ADD* It will feel like a force issue if this is your first AR build. As long as the holes are lined up properly it will eventually go in. The roll pin needs to create enough friction to hold up to a lot of vibration. It accomplishes that by acting like a compressed spring against the receiver holes. That is why it feels like you have to force it a little.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

10-4 and Thank you Ranger..and yes its my first attempt at assembling a lower parts kit into a L.Reciever..

Double and triple checked to make sure its the right pin..

Have punches, admitadly wasnt using one..Strong Ranger..
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

pics later..for proof..
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Rangers "DESTROY shit"................ they don't build it :lol: :lol: :lol:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

colt1rgr wrote:Rangers "DESTROY shit"................ they don't build it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bullshit..Hahahahahah I build all kindas of shit just to destroy it..I build some shit to help destroy the other shit I build..vicious circle..
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

So pics as promised...

The lower with the first step and third step - Mag release and hinge pin - installed. Step 2 is the bolt catch, is just in place..

Step two in process... you cant see it but the roll pin that holds in the bolt catch is still stuck.

Getting started on the trigger group..

Ok lower assembled..still need a bunch of parts, like a buffer tube kit and stock ( so many to choose from), maybe a new pistol grip, I havent found one I like yet and then its on to the upper -Med wieght barrel, free float rail, piston system etc..God this is addicting..

I still am not super happy with how either of the roll pins went in (they just look "hackish"). Pulling them in the future will be interesting. I would be interested in a rework of some kind..war gaming in my head what that would look like (?)
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

We all strive for perfection, but sometimes perfection gets in the way of good enough. Does the bolt catch move properly? Is it solid?
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

GoldCoast wrote:We all strive for perfection, but sometimes perfection gets in the way of good enough. Does the bolt catch move properly? Is it solid?
Yes, Yes and Yes..Solid and functional.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
CWeber
Ranger

Post by CWeber »

Tater Nuts wrote:Buy a roll pin punch set from Brownells, it has a bump on the end that supports the roll pin and keeps it from mushrooming or expanding as it is driven. This is different than a pin punch and are commonly used by gunsmiths.

You could go to your local hardware store or Home Depot and get a set of small roll pin punches. That nail set your using is tapered and will destroy roll pins.
B. Co. 3/75 92-94
Wpns Plt.
RS 10/93

-Only dead fish follow the stream-
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

CWeber wrote:
Tater Nuts wrote:Buy a roll pin punch set from Brownells, it has a bump on the end that supports the roll pin and keeps it from mushrooming or expanding as it is driven. This is different than a pin punch and are commonly used by gunsmiths.

You could go to your local hardware store or Home Depot and get a set of small roll pin punches. That nail set your using is tapered and will destroy roll pins.
With ya.....next time I build an AR (whenever that is) I will be ready with the right roll pin punches to install the bolt catch roll pin. I actually used the "Taped" up set of channel locks system that is displayed on AR15.c for the lower trigger gaurd roll pin, so I could support the under side ear as I pressed it home. Seemed to work just fine for this particluar install.

Thanks for assist Rangers..
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Grifter
Ranger

Post by Grifter »

Had a son..so funding really slooowwwwwed down..but I am slowly making progress. My B-day and Xmas list for the next few years will consist mainly of needed AR parts/accessories...here is the lower full assembled.

RLTW...
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Excellent! Karl will envy you.