IWB Holster Suggestions

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
abnhawk
Ranger

IWB Holster Suggestions

Post by abnhawk »

I've pretty much decided to throw my money down on a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster. Them bastards are expensive at around $90, but I've yet to run into a less than excellent review on them.

Any of you MF'ers have experience with them, or care to provide other suggestions?

I'm replacing an Uncle Mikes that I actually liked a lot, but it failed to retain once recently :oops: so yeah, time to replace that bitch.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
fatboy
Ranger

Re: IWB Holster Suggestions

Post by fatboy »

I have and use a cross breed almost daily for carrying a Glock 22 or 23, depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing. I'd recommend then to any one that is looking for IWB that is extremely adjustable.
Something else to look into is Theis holsters or White hat holsters. Same type of IWB but for less $$$ and usually a shorter lead time.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:“Christbreed” was still kind enough to sell me a rig, crosses and all, even though I lack religion or guilt......
I guess you will just have to wear it so that the crosses are upside down......
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

I have two much cheaper Bladetech IWB holsters, I paid less than 90 for both of them, Switch them out depending on which gun I carry but I pretty much carry everyday and I love'em, never had any issues with either. Also have a pretty nice (although several years old) Galco IWB that I use during the winter months as that kydex gets a little cold in the winter :roll: .
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Crossbreed gets a thumbs up from me.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Rich Gause
Egg

Post by Rich Gause »

I have two they both work well. I wear one or the other depending on what I'm carrying almost every day.
B Co 2/75 1982-86. Class 7/84.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Rich Gause wrote:I have two they both work well. I wear one or the other depending on what I'm carrying almost every day.
Why do we need to chase down new posters that do not follow site FAQ's?
1st post is to be in a introduction forum as a courtesy to all of us.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Was thinking of buying one myself, but right now am using a heavy nylon IWB from a company called Elite Survival Systems ( .com ) cost me 20.00 and been using it for months now.

The reason I am liking this holster is this, I carry a 1911 off duty (duty weapon), and also have a Blackhawk Serpa for plainclothes work, but because of the ambidextrious safety, it tends to get knocked off of "safe" mode in the Serpa quite often, which cause's me to flag myself by checking the lever under my clothes too often. This happens with other guys here as well, unfortunately, right now the Serpa is the only "authorized" plainclothes work holster for this weapon.

The "Elite" holster has higher coverage that keep the safety covered on both sides and rides low in the pants, fairly comfortable, but the safety cover is my main concern at this point.

Anyone ever have this issue w/crossbreed and an external safety?

Since the CB is molded plastic on leather inside the pants, is it very bulky/visible inside the waistband when not covered by a jacket or long shirt?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
RMP-RLTW
Ranger

IWB Holster Suggestions

Post by RMP-RLTW »

cams wrote:Was thinking of buying one myself, but right now am using a heavy nylon IWB from a company called Elite Survival Systems ( .com ) cost me 20.00 and been using it for months now.

The reason I am liking this holster is this, I carry a 1911 off duty (duty weapon), and also have a Blackhawk Serpa for plainclothes work, but because of the ambidextrious safety, it tends to get knocked off of "safe" mode in the Serpa quite often, which cause's me to flag myself by checking the lever under my clothes too often. This happens with other guys here as well, unfortunately, right now the Serpa is the only "authorized" plainclothes work holster for this weapon.

The "Elite" holster has higher coverage that keep the safety covered on both sides and rides low in the pants, fairly comfortable, but the safety cover is my main concern at this point.

Anyone ever have this issue w/crossbreed and an external safety?

Since the CB is molded plastic on leather inside the pants, is it very bulky/visible inside the waistband when not covered by a jacket or long shirt?
No problem here, I carry a full size 1911 with a crossbreed and find it to be very concealable. I can't tell you about the ambi safety issue since mine is not. Shouldn't be too much of a problem swapping it out for a standard safety, unless you are a lefty. I am not too fat yet but am working on it, 6'1, 185. I have heard complaints about the metal clips scratching up expensive gun belts but I don't worry too much about that.

I hear the theis holsters are fantastic and have heard from others that own both that they would not buy another CB after owning the Theis holster based on cost alone. The Theise also uses kydex clips that will not scratch your belt.

Theis is on my list to try next but don't see it happening anytime soon. Good luck, you really can't go wrong with a CB if you can swallow the cost!
B co.3/75 99-02
OEF Vet
Mala Malis Facimus
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I am left handed, causes some issue with gear but I'm used to it and can work around it.

Also not too fat yet myself (average around 175-180lbs at 6') and I think the safety is being disengaged when sitting/standing, entering/exiting a vehicle.

First I thought it was being caused by the bottom of the soft armor pushing down on the safety lever, but found that it also does it w/out armor on.

The belt is not a concern here either, never owned a fancy belt and if I did some scratches would be fine with me.

Thx for the heads up on theis holster, I'll check it out online.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

if you get a CB, get it with the combat cutout, makes the grab easier to get onto, and I never had a safety issue with mine.

$90? they got proud of their stuff after I bought mine.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Clint Smith (of Thunder Ranch fame) has had a saying for years that I agree with 100%. " A good concealment holster should be comforting, not comfortable". Good retention, better accessibility and doesn't require moleskin at point of carry. Haven't tried the CB holsters, hear many good things as well as MANY others out there depending on how much money you want to spend but I'm a cheap bastard and if it works "I don't fix it". :? :lol:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

Thanks for all the input. Mine came in a couple of days ago. Time from placing order online to package on doorstep was 15 days. That's not too bad for something advertised as "hand-made."

I've very impressed with it so far. While standing and doing all my work type stuff my pistol essentially disappears on my side. I notice it when I sit, as the front of the holster presses a bit into my leg. Not enough to make it uncomfortable, just enough to remind me I'm armed. I went with the combat cut, and am glad I did. Drawing and re-holstering is a piece of cake. I haven't adjusted it for cant yet. I prefer just a tad more forward rake than what the holster shipped with. Adjusting is pretty simple, though. They even include instructions for how to adjust the retention of the kydex. My only gripe is that one of the buckles makes a slight "creaking" noise when rubbing against the leather. I'll give it a couple of days to see if it breaks-in and stops.

Right now I'm feeling like it's money well spent.
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!

Return to “Weapons of War”