Ranger/Moderator

Re: Looking for a new carry gun

Post by rgrpuck »

S&W Bodygaurd ....38 .357.

comes with a lazer ......
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

rgrpuck wrote:S&W Bodygaurd ....38 .357.

I actually looked into this. My wife wants one.

I've handled (but not shot) them. I think I'd prefer the Ruger LCR in .357.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

mortar_guy78 wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:S&W Bodygaurd ....38 .357.

I actually looked into this. My wife wants one.

I've handled (but not shot) them. I think I'd prefer the Ruger LCR in .357.
Hove you ever shot a .357 that light? after about 10 rounds you start thinking about only carring .38 special.
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Can't be worse than a .44 Mag with a 2 1/2 inch barrel shooting 300 grain cast core.

Besides, the benefit of .357 is that you can practice with .38 and carry .357. If I need more than 10 rounds of .357, I'm probably in a situation that a handgun won't get me out of anyway. :P
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18

Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

mortar_guy78 wrote:Can't be worse than a .44 Mag with a 2 1/2 inch barrel shooting 300 grain cast core.

Besides, the benefit of .357 is that you can practice with .38 and carry .357. If I need more than 10 rounds of .357, I'm probably in a situation that a handgun won't get me out of anyway. :P
You speak da troof.
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

I see these questions asked quite a bit. It's like asking someone who makes the best pizza.......what it comes down to is trying one out, finding your comfort zone with it, how you plan on carrying it (I take it more than likely concealed) along with the reliability of one(s) you may have narrowed down while doing your search, how it prints, draws, shoots, groups and ultimately, how many uses would it have. Then, finding those who may own the same and picking their brain as to their own experience with it.

Carry choice as to holster and type is a whole nother ball game once you decide on the weapon.

One thing I absolutely recommend is if you plan on having it loaded with a particular ammo spec, then shell out the bucks and practice with it. Is .357 that much different than say .38 in a snubby or a semi auto? Absolutely. Depending on load and grain, even more so.

My own personal preference is Glock, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't spent time with a SAP.

Good luck with your choice.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
hoopdie
Embryo

Post by hoopdie »

Well said Ranger centermass.

I've been shooting a Glock 19 4th generation for the last year. I also carry concealed in an Galco inside the pant leather holster. I'd recommend both the Glock and the Galco.

The Glock fit my needs and style very well. Easy to maintain and shoot. It's a 9mm so the ammo is a little cheaper than the larger caliber firearms.

The Galco that I purchased was around $60. It's made really solid, the form doesn't collapse when you draw your weapon, that makes it a lot easier to re-holster. I really don't have any complaints about it. It's comfotable no matter where it's placed on your waist.
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

hoopdie wrote:Well said Ranger centermass.

I've been shooting a Glock 19 4th generation for the last year. I also carry concealed in an Galco inside the pant leather holster. I'd recommend both the Glock and the Galco.

The Glock fit my needs and style very well. Easy to maintain and shoot. It's a 9mm so the ammo is a little cheaper than the larger caliber firearms.

The Galco that I purchased was around $60. It's made really solid, the form doesn't collapse when you draw your weapon, that makes it a lot easier to re-holster. I really don't have any complaints about it. It's comfotable no matter where it's placed on your waist.
The Gen 4 Glock is shit. There have been a lot of problems with them. Most notably is the slide coming off. I didn't believe it could happen because the Gen 3 was a good weapon, but I saw it happen numerous times to more than a few people at the range. They have been contacted by what I'm sure are thousands of people, but they don't have a plan to fix them yet.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
hoopdie
Embryo

Post by hoopdie »

Rangerguru wrote:
hoopdie wrote:Well said Ranger centermass.

The Gen 4 Glock is shit. There have been a lot of problems with them. Most notably is the slide coming off. I didn't believe it could happen because the Gen 3 was a good weapon, but I saw it happen numerous times to more than a few people at the range. They have been contacted by what I'm sure are thousands of people, but they don't have a plan to fix them yet.
Wow that's insane! That's such a horrible malfunction. :shock:
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

I have it narrowed down to: SA Loaded 1911 Micro-Compact, Glock 19, HK USP Compact, and Ruger LCR. I'll be shopping around and pricing for the next little bit.

I carry the 1911 in a Galco SOB holster, but I'm thinking I might shop around for an IWB for something smaller and more concealable.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18

Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Richard Cranium wrote:
mortar_guy78 wrote:I have it narrowed down to: SA Loaded 1911 Micro-Compact, Glock 19, HK USP Compact, and Ruger LCR. I'll be shopping around and pricing for the next little bit.

I carry the 1911 in a Galco SOB holster, but I'm thinking I might shop around for an IWB for something smaller and more concealable.

I have two H&K USP .45, and although not Compacts, they are fucking awesome, reliable weapons. I have big hands, and those are my most "comfortable" pistols to shoot although I've had many complain and say their trigger squeeze is too "tight" and the grip is too big. It's all what works for YOU.

How are the CHL laws in Alaska anyway?
The most open sate as far as conceled carry is concerned
hang it, FIRE!!!!

mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

As far as concealed carry goes, as long as you can legally purchase a gun you can carry. No permit necessary. You can, in fact, get a permit but that's mostly for folks who travel to other states which will recognize the Alaska CCP.

In a lot of areas of the state people do carry openly. Not so much in the towns (the Anchorage Mat/Su Valley, Fairbanks, etc.) but in little towns like Delta Junction, Tok and so on it's not unusual at all.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18

C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver

Return to “Weapons of War”