AR/M4 vs. AK

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Grifter
Ranger

Re: AR/M4 vs. AK

Post by Grifter »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
Grifter wrote: Also it might be worth noting that Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactical ( Just throwing this out there, I do not know if this community is pro or anti Him, All I know is the guy appears to be able to f-ing shoot) is a Contributing author/writer and has a couple topics in the current edition.
I guess I am pro- Kyle Lamb. I have his book and watch his videos on youtube. Pretty good shit !
As am I, I just watch his youtube vids. One of these days I would like to be able to pony up and go to one of his M4 courses. Even though I have no real operational reason for doing so at the moment.
Jan 00-Dec 03
1/75th C-2 / HHC SNOT.
OEF/OIF
RS Class 06-01
Black to Tan Change-over Ranger
MI Glenn English Base of USARA
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Kyle Lamb is as good as any and makes good breakdown training for all shooters. It wasnt he I was referring to in my slam on pot bellied no teeth, fucktards who comment on internet forums about shit they have not experienced other than reading technical manuals. If you read some of the gun forums you will see them there, sitting in their well worn chairs, critical of anything and everything people say. One such idiot told me that the new Glock Gen 4's were problematic, older glocks were made for dummies, XD's were over rated, and M4's were totally ineffective in combat. REALLY? REALLY??!!!!! There are a bunch of shitstains running around Allah looking for their Virgins who may disagree.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:I have SKS, AK, and M/4s.

Parabellum came to the ranch 3 weeks ago and spent 3.5 days. We ate and shot. Something like 6000 rds. On weapons, we agreed on most things. Its a functional thing. Its practical. Does the weapon fire when you pick it up? Is it accurate, dependable, reliable, and deadly? The old question of "whats the best gun to have in a gunfight comes to mind?" THE ONE YOU GOT! "Which is better" is a question I dislike to hear because you can't answer it unless you say "for what"? Uhhhh, killing people! Then my answer would be "Yes".

AK: Id pay someone to stand at 400 yards and allow me to shoot at them. Like a Liberal, a politician, welfare rider, ect... If its a decent build and you spend time learning an AK, (really key) its functional, accurate, dependable. It kills people.

M4: If its a decent build and you spend time learning an M4, (really key) its functional, accurate, dependable. It kills people.

The internet forum gun junkies who bloviate about "their opinion" and the rightness of themselves are entertaining but collective idiots most of the time. They have called some of the finest shooters in the world "wrong" on their opinions about weapons because their "technical opinion" is flawed. Forget that these guys have shot millions of rounds through various platforms, used them in combat, seen what the round does to flesh, picked them up and shot them after sand, mud, blood, dirt, ice, and duckbutter were encrusted on them....doesnt matter. The technical guys know best.

Gents, if you spend time with either, learn them, and use them....you will find that both do one thing pretty well. They kill people. Wow, that was pretty technical wasnt it?
Yeah, I was basically looking for an excuse to buy another rifle. I am pretty sure there are at least three things you wrote that can be used as justification.

Oh yeah, and I want an invite for the 400 yard liberal turkey shoot when the volunteer steps forward. In fact, I am pretty sure we could sell tickets.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Grifter wrote:
Flesh Thorn wrote:
Grifter wrote: Also it might be worth noting that Kyle Lamb of Viking Tactical ( Just throwing this out there, I do not know if this community is pro or anti Him, All I know is the guy appears to be able to f-ing shoot) is a Contributing author/writer and has a couple topics in the current edition.
I guess I am pro- Kyle Lamb. I have his book and watch his videos on youtube. Pretty good shit !
As am I, I just watch his youtube vids. One of these days I would like to be able to pony up and go to one of his M4 courses. Even though I have no real operational reason for doing so at the moment.

I have nowhere near the experience you folks have. So I try to understand the logic and practicality of what people are saying. I also try to apply their methods and see what works.

Kyle Lamb is one of those guys who just plain makes sense and when you apply what he teaches it generally makes a difference. The VTAC products are also very functional. I bought the VTAC wide padded sling and it really tightens up the platform, is very adjustable and practical. I have also emailed VTAC with questions and the answers are always, fast, professional and informative. Man I sound like a freakin commercial.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Larry Vickers has a couple of episodes of Tactical Arms concerning the AK 47 and AK 74 as well as other weapons systems. He has two different shows that appear on the Sportsman Channel. Some more good shit to watch !
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Flesh Thorn wrote:Larry Vickers has a couple of episodes of Tactical Arms concerning the AK 47 and AK 74 as well as other weapons systems. He has two different shows that appear on the Sportsman Channel. Some more good shit to watch !
Its rumored in the shooting world that Vickers and Lamb really detest each other which I could give a shit about. But both of them are innovative, creative, excellent teachers, and can shoot like red eyed mother fuckers. Since they were both CAG fags, Im not surprized by the crap Ive heard but Im not into inter personal love fests. I do like their videos, instruction and methodology.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

I have known Kyle since 92 and I can assure you he is a one hell of a shot and can back up what he teaches. He teaches a technique, not the only technique but a very solid one well tested in combat. First 1911 I ever owned Kyle built for me, had it for many years until divorce (:| :( . ) got the best of me and my better decision making skills.
Last edited by colt1rgr on February 1st, 2011, 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Tater Nuts wrote:How does one manipulate the safety selector rapidly on an AK when reacting to a threat ?
Same exact technique one uses to manipulate the forward assist on an M4 platform during a combat reload. Very quick with practice, however I would recommend gloves and I always wore one on my non-shooting/support hand while carrying the venerable AK platform. :wink:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Rock Island Ranger wrote:IGents, if you spend time with either, learn them, and use them....you will find that both do one thing pretty well. They kill people. Wow, that was pretty technical wasnt it?
As usual the Pastor is "Spot On!" :lol:

FloridaMP
Tadpole

Post by FloridaMP »

Tater Nuts wrote:How does one manipulate the safety selector rapidly on an AK when reacting to a threat ?
This

though with practice we have managed to get our squatting friends relatively proficient at it. It's awkward and basically made to ensure the person using it is making a direct decision to take the weapon off safe, though placing auto in between safe and single is poor to the american philosophy, i guess it made sense when volume was the key to victory with a large poorly trained conscript army that the weapon system was originally designed for.

Trigger pull is absolutely beautiful though and i love everything else about the weapon now that i have been able to put a few hundred rounds through both the 47 and the type-56 knockoff.

The PKM, now there is an amazing weapon system.
18th MP BDE
Germany
07JUL2009-Present

Return to “Weapons of War”