Question about the M14 weapon system

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Re: Question about the M14 weapon system

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Pick a civilian .308 battle style rifle and you can probably read about issues on the internet with all of them. The extent of the problem is usually skewed as the unlucky owners are going to bitch on every forum they can. As long as the receiver doesn't fuck up you can probably fix or replace anything else that might break.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Opinions being what they are....

1- The M1A1 standard and the Scout Model are probably the best systems and closest to the actual M14 and purposed for the same mission
2- I have not seen a variant of the SOCOM in military use although the warriors here are better to respond on that. My impression is that it was created and marketed for the AR-15 crowd that wanted 7.62. So hybrid, if you will. Which leads to two points;
a- If I want an AR, I will buy one. Yes with all the alleged 5.56 "warts"
b- If I want 7.62, I am buying an SR or SCAR. Which IMO are better systems and proven (He says, as he ducks for the incoming opinions on the SCAR)

Two mechanical points;
- Yes, the shorter barrel provides different gas pressures than the standard M1A1, provided it is the same gas system. I don't recall that being an issue with other similar weapons and Springfield does not strike me as being a bunch of neophytes
- All the civilian models are forged differently than the military versions. The cold forging military process is more expensive and would probably put these out of reach for Springfield's target demographic. But the military forging process also makes for a stronger, more durable weapon. I am guessing some Einstein put these two factors together and made theoretical extrapolations on how the weapon would self-destruct. I say theoretical, because I have never seen it at all and doubt it exists in any numerical quantity to be classified as a "flaw". But I could be wrong.

Final point, sparky. This is all good information to research before purchasing a weapon.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

DEC wrote:It is not that I'm regretting the purchase or anything. Just compiling a list of parts should the need for maintenance arise. Dont want to have a broken weapon during the next 4 years of inflated ammo costs and backorders.

Any parts you buy for repair of your rifle will not be the one that breaks later on. I have owned my M1A for 5 years now and have had no problems
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

While I am not a Gunologist, I do shoot them every week. Heavily. These so called "expert forums" have something to say about everything on the market, past, present, and current. The Gun Sluts have said....

1. The Springfield XD will not last and you will have problems with them: Given that I have 10 of them, fired over 100,000 rds through most of them, one is over 7 figures now...guess their viewpoint doesnt matter now. Oh wait, lifetime guarantee...hummmm
2. The Gen 4 Glock 17 main spring will break under hard firing: Uhhh, define hard firing. Ive shot the bejesus out of em and the double spring is awesome, no problems, no feed issues, no spring issues, and I shot one till I damned near melted the barell numerous times.
3. SOCOM's, M1A's...seen em shoot everything from trash to BlackHills Boat Tailed Molycoats...never seen an issue. Ive seen them shot dirty, clean, hot, cold, hard fired, timed, and yet to see a breakdown. Fact is, Springfield makes a decent product and wether its cold forged or not, the average shooter (you included) will seldom put a weapon through enough violence, abuse, and neglect that it will fail.
4. I shot the living shit out of YOUR Socom (no, really) and found not one issue with it.

And DEC, the way you baby YOUR shit, it wont stand a chance to break.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Rock Island Ranger wrote: 4. I shot the living shit out of YOUR Socom (no, really) and found not one issue with it.

And DEC, the way you baby YOUR shit, it wont stand a chance to break.
:lol: :lol:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

While I am not a Gunologist, I do shoot them every week. Heavily. These so called "expert forums" have something to say about everything on the market, past, present, and current. The Gun Sluts have said....
Wow. I have never met a "Gun Slut". I have to say that is a mildly interesting proposition. :shock:

Where can I find one of those?
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver

Return to “Weapons of War”