AN/PVS-4

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

AN/PVS-4

Post by C-MAC »

Anybody ever use an AN/PVS-4? I have a chance to get one at a very good price. I am just not fully up to speed on NV.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: AN/PVS-4

Post by IEDmagnet »

Eh... they are not the top of the line, for any purposes you'd have stateside they'd be alright.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

POS!

Even when it was one of the few NOD's available we hated them.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Thanks.

Do you think in excellent condition it's worth $500? A guy I know lost his job and is selling some toys- that stuff just pulls on my heart. But it sounds like the sight of last resort and frankly I don't want something that's gonna self destruct in a year or is not durable. If it's a POS as noted I am guessing free would be the best price and even then.....:)

It's not like I really need it- I don't expect anybody to be creeping up my driveway at night anytime soon.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

There are a lot of factors that play in to it, such as what generation the components are, how much use it has seen, etc. $500 would be a decent price for latest generation mint condition, but if you are talking something I might have used 20 years ago, no thanks.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RangerX wrote:There are a lot of factors that play in to it, such as what generation the components are, how much use it has seen, etc. $500 would be a decent price for latest generation mint condition, but if you are talking something I might have used 20 years ago, no thanks.
Bottom-line is that if you are looking at it from the aspect of being a collector then it is a hallmark piece. If memory serves me, this sight was one of (if not THE) first gen NODs so it does have a historical place in a collection. As far as actually using it...you would be better off investing in something thermal.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Bottom-line is that if you are looking at it from the aspect of being a collector then it is a hallmark piece.
Agree.

If you are looking for something to actually USE, I'd pass.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Batteries! IIRC, all the stuff I saw back in my Boer War era stupidly used proprietary battieries that the profiteers milked the USG for. (unlike our allies who could always get a 'D' battery resupply anywhere :roll: )

If you plan on actually using them, make sure that you can use them.

Should the local game wardens be on the lookout for you? :twisted:
Last edited by K.Ingraham on October 18th, 2010, 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

K.Ingraham wrote:Batteries! IIRC, all the stuff I saw back in my Boer War era tupidly used proprietary battieries that the profiteers milked the USG for. (unlike our allies who could always get a 'D' battery resupply anywhere :roll: )

If you plan on actually using them, make sure that you can use them.

Should the local game wardens be on the lookout for you? :twisted:

"Tit in the cup"
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Well, let's recap the score;

An/PVS-4 (A.K.A POS or museum relic) 0, Rangers 5. POS loses.

Frankly, I am not fully up to speed on NV, and it is GEN 2 but it reminds me of something that was around when they were still making American Motors Pacer's. Kinda big and clunky compared to some of the recent stuff I have seen. But then again,you have to sell a lung to get the new stuff.

Which begs the question, what am I gonna use it for? Hunting raccoons with an m4/AR and NV? Can you imagine creeping around the property and somebody pulls up? What do you say then?

Pass. And many thanks. I would rather keep saving for the 17-s or SR-25 anyway...
Ranger KW Driver
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Good call, it's a piece of shit. Keep you 5 bills and get something fun.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
C-MAC wrote: I would rather keep saving for the 17-s or SR-25 anyway...
or an A-10!

Can you imagine having one in the backyard just for kicks? "Yeah, hon, I will see you in about 2 hours. I am going to take the A-10 out for a spin and unload a few 30mm DU rounds."

You think if I go out to Davis-Monthan AFB in Nevada, ring the bell and give them $100 they will let me take one out of mothballs? :lol:
Ranger KW Driver
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

Silverback wrote:
RangerX wrote:There are a lot of factors that play in to it, such as what generation the components are, how much use it has seen, etc. $500 would be a decent price for latest generation mint condition, but if you are talking something I might have used 20 years ago, no thanks.
Bottom-line is that if you are looking at it from the aspect of being a collector then it is a hallmark piece. If memory serves me, this sight was one of (if not THE) first gen NODs so it does have a historical place in a collection. As far as actually using it...you would be better off investing in something thermal.

It was 2nd Gen. Later versions used AA batteries instead of the old mecury cell hockey pucks and AA adapters are available should you decide to get it if it uses the old stock batt..

Still, it was a lot better than the first gen PVS 2's I first had that it replaced, but like everyone else has stated, an appropriate anaology would be a console color tv of yesteryear vs a HD flat screen today unless it's image intensifier has been upgraded.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.

Return to “Weapons of War”