Browning Hi power

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
krm375
Ranger

Browning Hi power

Post by krm375 »

Anyone know a good gunsmith to customize an old Belgium BHP? I am looking at Novaks, I just got two colts back from them and they did excellent work.
RLTW
Bco 1st platoon, Weapons Squad, 1st Squad, Bco Training, 3/75 93-00
M60
Ranger

Re: Browning Hi power

Post by M60 »

Try Ted Yost or Jim Garthwaite. Both are top drawer.

http://www.heirloomprecision.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.garthwaite.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M60
1/75 Co. A, 2nd Plt, Weapons squad. 1975-1977

I still miss my old M-60. She was heavy and could be temperamental, but I loved that gun...
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

How old is it?

Any old firearm retains more value if it is left as original as possible. I've got one my old man left me that he "liberated" from a baddy in Nam. Nice little pistol.

If you don't care and are going to use it as a carry gun, I can see getting some work done on it, but if you don't plan on using it much, I'd leave it stock.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

In fact, if it is old military, especially w/ Canadian markings, I'd be interested in buying it from you so you can put it towards something modern to bust up.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
krm375
Ranger

Post by krm375 »

The gun is in great shape, I picked it up at a gun show in GA. for an old AR upper. It is nothing special, blue with a pachmeyer grips its is a Belgium BHP and does not have any other markings, I have not done a serial number search on it to see a date of manufacture. Its sights are adjustable but the rear is very loose. It runs pretty smooth, and my old man is using it as a bed side gun because he is getting older and can control the 9mm more than his old ithaca lend lease 1911, and the BHP has the same style safety that the 1911 has.
Bco 1st platoon, Weapons Squad, 1st Squad, Bco Training, 3/75 93-00
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

krm375 wrote:The gun is in great shape, I picked it up at a gun show in GA. for an old AR upper. It is nothing special, blue with a pachmeyer grips its is a Belgium BHP and does not have any other markings, I have not done a serial number search on it to see a date of manufacture. Its sights are adjustable but the rear is very loose. It runs pretty smooth, and my old man is using it as a bed side gun because he is getting older and can control the 9mm more than his old ithaca lend lease 1911, and the BHP has the same style safety that the 1911 has.
Ah soooo....

The BHP is definitely a "niche" gun these days with the advent of the tupperware guns, and the increased popularity of the 1911. They have a VERY loyal customer base and the folks that own them love em' to death.

The older ones have the pegged front sight, crappy small fixed rear, and the tiny safety, as was custom back in the day.

They are not so popular in competition, however, which means that dedicated BHP smiths are harder to find than say the 1911, but there are still those out there that can get the job done when it comes to simple mods, and others that can do whatever needs to be done.

I'm sure novak can get the job done, if not the other folks mentioned. If not, the place to go for all things pistol related is the Benoverse, aka, Brian Enos forums. That place is the hub of American action pistol shooting and has some of the best shooters in the country on it, and is a great place to find smiths that KNOW their shit.

Return to “Weapons of War”