FN SCAR opinions

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
M60
Ranger

FN SCAR opinions

Post by M60 »

Hey guys,

I got to play with a SCAR L then other day (although I was not able to fire it). I liked about everything about it. Ergos, weight, comes up to the shoulder very well. Before I drop that kind of coin though, I wanted some input from some folks who have actually used one. I don't care where you used it, how you used it or if you had human targets or not. What I do care about is its performance, accuracy and reliability. As a frame of reference, use an M4 for comparison. Thanks for any input.

M60
1/75 Co. A, 2nd Plt, Weapons squad. 1975-1977

I still miss my old M-60. She was heavy and could be temperamental, but I loved that gun...
M60
Ranger

Re: FN SCAR opinions

Post by M60 »

Thank you for the information. The best new prices I have been quoted are $2285 for the SCAR 5.56 and $2425 for the SCAR 7.62.

Regards,

M60

I still miss my old M-60. She was heavy and could be temperamental, but I loved that gun...
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Thank you for the information. The best new prices I have been quoted are $2285 for the SCAR 5.56 and $2425 for the SCAR 7.62.

Meh...

I'd rather get an M4 variant for under a K and sink the rest in a good optic. But I have been using a CAR/M4 for eons and do admit a little bias...
M60
Ranger

Post by M60 »

Dan B 3/75 wrote:

Meh...

I'd rather get an M4 variant for under a K and sink the rest in a good optic. But I have been using a CAR/M4 for eons and do admit a little bias...

That is a variable that is being considered. As is a hand selected CMP Garand and an AK74 for the same price.

M60

hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Not only is the FN SCAR a badass weapon, it also looks like a beautifully engineered weapon as well. I especially like that fold-around stock on the FN SCAR "light". Not that important in places like Iraq and Afghanistan, but very handy in jungle environments.

http://dynamicarmament.com/images/fnsca ... folded.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll never forget the scene in "Throw Momma From the Train" where the three bad guys on the train are confronted by a police blockade at a rail stop. The baddies all have 7.62 FN's, obviously with armor-piercing rounds. The firefight is amazing, cob cars flying apart like they'd been hit with RPG's. The bad guys won. "Jesus," I mumbled, "I gotta have one of those." Maybe it's time.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Team from my company tested it and said it was a POS. I've never used it though. The fact that it's primarily 5.56 makes it suspect in my book.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

The Holmchicken wrote:The fact that it's primarily 5.56 makes it suspect in my book.
We killed a million communists with 5.56 in Vietnam.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

hobbit wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote:The fact that it's primarily 5.56 makes it suspect in my book.
We killed a million communists with 5.56 in Vietnam.
Think how many more you could've zapped with 7.62!
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Hasn't been an update on this weapon system in a few months. I am interested if anyone has used the SCAR 16 CQC with 10 inch barrel in full auto? Am looking for new entry weapon for law enforcement work. Trying to arrange a rifle for T & E, but wanted some input from any of you who have used extensively, if there is anyone on this site out there. Not sure the 7.62 is an option for SWAT applications as there is a chance of overpenetration in a building environment.
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

dbmtrman wrote:Hasn't been an update on this weapon system in a few months. I am interested if anyone has used the SCAR 16 CQC with 10 inch barrel in full auto? Am looking for new entry weapon for law enforcement work. Trying to arrange a rifle for T & E, but wanted some input from any of you who have used extensively, if there is anyone on this site out there. Not sure the 7.62 is an option for SWAT applications as there is a chance of overpenetration in a building environment.
Colt M4 ain't high speed enough for infringing on my rights ? :D I posted a link last week in the News Dump about the SCAR program and some of the comments posted there may be of interest.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Return to “Weapons of War”