Springfield Arms Review/opinion?

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Jasper
Ranger

Springfield Arms Review/opinion?

Post by Jasper »

Hey guys... was looking at purchasing my first pistol and was torn between two options, wanted to see if anyone owned either and what their opinions, thoughts, and reviews of either sidearm are.

My friend owns the XD and loves it, and I have grown very partial to it as well. Wanted to see if you thought the extra $110 bucks was worth going for the XDM

Option #1 Springfield XD Service Model 4" 40S&W Black for $489
http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=75" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Option #2 Springfield XDM 40S&W Black for $599
http://www.the-m-factor.com/non_flash/specs_2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are what's available from Springfield at the local Sportsman's Warehouse and this is why I'm limited to these options. My wife is also interested in learning how to shoot and I figured that the 40S&W was a good middle-ground caliber for her to learn and still hold good stopping power. However, I might hunt for the 9mm XDM for the 19+1 capability. I have fired the XD plenty, but not the XDM. It appears that these are almost the exact same though.

Once again, this would be my first weapon at home. I'm not totally green on the subject, but I am the first one to admit there's much more for me to learn still, so any thoughts are appreciated.
"Life is experience, and longevity is, in the end, measured by memory, and those with a thousand tales to tell have indeed lived longer than any who embrace the mundane.” – R.A. Salvatore

2/75 HHC Jan '09 - Dec '13
RSTB RCC Jan '14 - Present
RIP Class 01-09
Ranger School Class 08-10
The Surgeon
Ranger

Re: Springfield Arms Review/opinion?

Post by The Surgeon »

:shock:
Last edited by The Surgeon on August 8th, 2011, 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bco 3/75
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Get the (M). I own an XD .40 sub, XD .40 service, and just picked up the XD(M) .40 package...

They all shoot well...the (M) is amazing...

That is all.
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Get the M. I paid a lot to make my XD an XDM.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
dirty1
Ranger

Post by dirty1 »

I shoot my XD9 4" in competition and love it. I'm selling one of my other pistols so I can get an XDM. I want one sooooooooooooo bad
B/2/1
3/75 02-07
RS 10-03

Thats the beauty of alcohol: if you don't remember it, it didn't happen!
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

I've only shot the XD40 which I have to admit I did like. Any reason you're not considering Glock? Yeah I'm a Glock fan.

Best thing to do is go to a local range that has the pistols that you're interested in for rent. Take said pistols to a lane and shoot the fuck out of them. The one you shoot better with is the one you should buy.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
dirty1
Ranger

Post by dirty1 »

another damn texan wrote:I've only shot the XD40 which I have to admit I did like. Any reason you're not considering Glock? Yeah I'm a Glock fan.

Best thing to do is go to a local range that has the pistols that you're interested in for rent. Take said pistols to a lane and shoot the fuck out of them. The one you shoot better with is the one you should buy.
I like the way the XDs fit my hand. the only glock i like is the 21SF
B/2/1
3/75 02-07
RS 10-03

Jasper
Ranger

Post by Jasper »

I appreciate all the input guys. Going to have to look for a range around Ft. Lewis, did not know they rented pistols (Like I said, I'm a greenhorn). Hopefully they have both avliable. Anyway... again thank you for all the input.

Is there any differences in size of grip or anything between the 9mm and the 40 for the XDm? I had my wife look at both in the 40S&W and the downside to both of them is that she has smaller hands and she said both were uncomfortable, so I'm just wondering if tracking down a 9mm for her to feel is even worth the effort.
"Life is experience, and longevity is, in the end, measured by memory, and those with a thousand tales to tell have indeed lived longer than any who embrace the mundane.” – R.A. Salvatore

2/75 HHC Jan '09 - Dec '13
RSTB RCC Jan '14 - Present
RIP Class 01-09
Ranger School Class 08-10
dirty1
Ranger

Post by dirty1 »

I bought a smaller pistol for my wife. (kahr 9mm) real slim fits the hand really well, nice little gun. but she like my regular xd9 4" service better.

you need to ask yourself who is this weapon for. if you get an XDM, it's more of a weapon for you. if you want a "family" weapon you need to shop around. take her to the gun shops and let her play with the different weapons. take her shooting, rent or borrow guns, find out what will work for her, then buy a pistol that works for everyone.... or better yet, get her a gun and get yourself what you really want.
B/2/1
3/75 02-07
RS 10-03

Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Jasper wrote:I appreciate all the input guys. Going to have to look for a range around Ft. Lewis, did not know they rented pistols (Like I said, I'm a greenhorn). Hopefully they have both avliable. Anyway... again thank you for all the input.

Is there any differences in size of grip or anything between the 9mm and the 40 for the XDm? I had my wife look at both in the 40S&W and the downside to both of them is that she has smaller hands and she said both were uncomfortable, so I'm just wondering if tracking down a 9mm for her to feel is even worth the effort.
if she uses both hands to shoot it wont be an issue :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, the 9 IS slightly smaller, but if it is for her it may or may not make a difference. Only way to know is hands on.......literally...

Buy her an LCP and just put mag safe's in the fucker....(that's what I did for my HH6)
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
The Surgeon
Ranger

Post by The Surgeon »

:oops:
Last edited by The Surgeon on August 8th, 2011, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bco 3/75
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Lets see here. I own 6 XD-9s, 3 XD-40s, and XD 357sig, and 45 and an XDm-9. Oh yea, I have a Glock. Buy the XD, bud...have well over 500,000 rounds through the oldest....you getting the picture. Guaranteed for life...yep.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

go to the Marksman off Canyon and 512. rent a XD 4" and a Glock 23, both are 40. I like the 23 better.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
dirty1
Ranger

Post by dirty1 »

Zonk 1/75 wrote:
dirty1 wrote:I bought a smaller pistol for my wife. (kahr 9mm) real slim fits the hand really well, nice little gun.
Well isnt that fortunate? :twisted:
conceals very nicely too
B/2/1
3/75 02-07
RS 10-03

Return to “Weapons of War”