Need help with a couple of CCW ??

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
RangerWill175
Ranger

Need help with a couple of CCW ??

Post by RangerWill175 »

I'm looking at a couple of CCW options.

1st - I want something I can carry strong side IWB that won't print too bad. I have an XD .45 compact and Sig 229 .40 (love 'em both) along with a couple of others of about the same size. They are a bit heavy. Leaning more for something that starts with a .4 (thinking a Glock 27, 30 or 36). I know a lot of LEOs have gone to a .45 GAP and it's an interesting option but it's an additional type of ammo to have to keep up with.

2nd - I live in FL and during the summer it gets hot so I'm also looking at picking up a pocket gun that I can carry with shorts and a tee. I'd rather keep it at a 9mm (maybe a Kahr) but have also considered an NAA or Ruger .380. I generally believe that bigger is better but I'd like something I can carry easily in a pocket.

Please look at these as two seperate questions, not either or.

Thanks for any imput.
There are a lot of nice people in the world...I'm just here to help even it up.

Co C 1/75 1/77-9/78
SWCDQC - Combat Diver
Rgr Class 1&2-78
Det 1 Co A 1/20 SFGA 81-83
Co H 122 IN (LRSU) 89-90
Co B 2/19 SFGA 90-93

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alan-willett-p-g/11/643/83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Surgeon
Ranger

Re: Need help with a couple of CCW ??

Post by The Surgeon »

:lol:
Last edited by The Surgeon on August 5th, 2011, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bco 3/75
Rock Island Ranger
Ranger

Post by Rock Island Ranger »

Walther makes some very dependable and slim CCW. Pricey but I like them.
RS Class # 7-76

I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am.

¿Querría usted el primer redondo en la rodilla o la cara?

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
RangerWill175
Ranger

Post by RangerWill175 »

Thanks,

I think I've been leaning toward the G 27. .40 vs the 9mm G 26(I like both but everything else being the same I think I'd go with the .40).

I'll have to take a closer look at the P 11. I've had one for years, never had any problems with it but I've heard of some reliability issues with Kel-Tec. May have to look for a pocket holster and see how it rides.

I'll also take a look at the Walther.

I've read the numbers on the .380 but I was wondering about other opinions on it.

RLTW

Co C 1/75 1/77-9/78
SWCDQC - Combat Diver
Rgr Class 1&2-78
Co H 122 IN (LRSU) 89-90
Co B 2/19 SFGA 90-93

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alan-willett-p-g/11/643/83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Ruger has the LCP .380. The one I bought for the HH6 got recalled, we should get it back next week retooled...it is a REALLY nice little shooter that wont print very much in a front blue jean pocket.

MagSafe's give it similar KNP to a .45.
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I carry a Kahr .40, it's single stack, 6+1 and fits perfectly under a t shirt in warm weather. I don't want to put my faith in a .380, and this K40 is the same size as the SIG P232.

They also make a very concealable .45 now.

Mine was right on from the box to the belt, with a waistband holster or the 'Deep Concealment' from Action Direct for riding the scoot in the summer. IMO a very, very good CCW for GP.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
RangerWill175
Ranger

Post by RangerWill175 »

Thanks to my Brothers,

Since I had 2 very different questions I guess I should have made 2 different post.

Speedy - I took a closer look at my P11 - it's great for what I've been using it for...I carry it in the accessory bag on the windshield of my bike. I think it's a little large for a pocket gun but it would fit great for an IWB. I've had this gun for about 10 years...and I still have this gun (meaning...after 10 years I haven't sold, tossed or used it for a throw). I've never had a problem with the Kel-Tec but I would like to hear from someone who has. I try to weigh complaints...I've read a lot of complaints about the M-60 machine gun...I was a gunner in the Batt and I loved my pig.

Otto - I was looking at the LCP for a pocket gun...what was the problem?
Thanks for the heads up on MagSafe. I checked out their site and if they can do what they say then it could make me reconsider pocket options. Have you tested these rounds? If I could find a .380 or .32 round that has the effect I need then I could look at different options. Best case would be something the size of a SeeCamp or NAA .32 with the kick of a 9mm or .40.

Cams - thanks for the insight on the K40. I'll put that on my list of IWBs espically since I was looking for something I could ride with.
I looked at the specs of the K40 and every thing looks perfect except the price. That's why I was looking for input from a BTDT. It's money...I have 1/2 as much as I did before the divorce and I can make more...summer is coming soon and I'll mow some more yards. --- Side bar --- like your tag...we used it when I was a Batt boy --- Lawyers, Guns & Money 1978 --- FYI ---Zevon was born in Chicago, Illinois to William "Stumpy" Zevon (formerly "Zivotovsky" relative of folk/blues-singer, Jedaiah Zivotovsky), a boxer, small-time criminal and Mickey Cohen associate who was of Russian Jewish origin, and Beverly Cope Simmons, a Mormon from Salt Lake City, Utah....ain't that some shit???

Co C 1/75 1/77-9/78
SWCDQC - Combat Diver
Rgr Class 1&2-78
Co H 122 IN (LRSU) 89-90
Co B 2/19 SFGA 90-93

The Surgeon
Ranger

Post by The Surgeon »

:|
Last edited by The Surgeon on August 5th, 2011, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bco 3/75
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

XD 40 sub-compact same size as the G27. You already know the gun since you have a compact and the price is good, you can find them for just over $500. I have even carried mine on an ankle holster.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

I just picked up a kahr cw-40 I like it. I have small elfish hands it the kahr fits nicely
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

RangerWill175 wrote:Thanks to my Brothers,

Otto - I was looking at the LCP for a pocket gun...what was the problem?
Thanks for the heads up on MagSafe. I checked out their site and if they can do what they say then it could make me reconsider pocket options. Have you tested these rounds? If I could find a .380 or .32 round that has the effect I need then I could look at different options. Best case would be something the size of a SeeCamp or NAA .32 with the kick of a 9mm or .40.
There was an "AD possibility if dropped"--that was the official recall reason. Actually, the holes stamped for the firing pins can be off by more than 1/8", causing a misfire (40% of the time in my case :roll: ) and after 2 mags, the slide would not seat completely about 25% of the time. It really looks like a "rush to market" issue. They are replacing the entire upper...the problems have been solved with the new models...and retrofitted on the first generation.

I was introduced to the XD-40 by our beloved Pastor last year, and have already purchased a 3" sub compact, and a 4" service model...next is a full sized XD(M).

I have become an XD addict...and a .40 cal addict. BTW Rico, I still can't shoot worth a shit :lol: :lol: :lol: , but I have fun trying :wink: .
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
another damn texan
Ranger

Post by another damn texan »

Go with the Glock 36. I've got the 30 but it's still kinda thick.
Bco 3/75 1993-1996
RS 1-95
RangerWill175
Ranger

Post by RangerWill175 »

Thanks for the input.

I'm going to try to get to the local gun shop this week so I can wrap my hands around a couple and look at some prices. We have a gun show coming this weekend and I'll probably make a decision then. I like a .45 but since I was looking for something smaller with a capacity of around 10. I'm thinking the .40. XD subcompact or a Kahr if I can find one to look at. If I don't break the bank I want to look at the. Ruger LCP .380 also.

Co C 1/75 1/77-9/78
SWCDQC - Combat Diver
Rgr Class 1&2-78
Co H 122 IN (LRSU) 89-90
Co B 2/19 SFGA 90-93

Return to “Weapons of War”