Creeping Death

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
chief4175
Ranger

Creeping Death

Post by chief4175 »

Hey Creeping Death, can you tell me about the platoon back in the day. I'm a senior tab in 3rd squad.
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

What all do you want to know? Also, you may want to get with Vega. I'm pretty sure he was in 3rd sqd, and got out not long after I came in.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
VEGA175

Post by VEGA175 »

A team leader in 3rd sqd.
probably only a couple left from my era
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Hey Vega, guess what "Boots" (Sgt Pierce) is doing now. Sgt Heil told me he is a prison guard out in AZ, somewhere. I just can't imagine Boots as a prison guard. He's too easy going.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
VEGA175

Post by VEGA175 »

I wonder what happend, the amway master plan must not have been all that he had expected
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

If I know Boots, He still has some master plan he is working on - whether it's Amway, or something else. The only door to door Ranger salesman I ever knew.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
VEGA175

Post by VEGA175 »

the platoon back in my day,
i'll start with 1st they were a god squad when i came in all tabbed. they started calling themselves creeping death because they thought they were great. we called them creeping death because they would try to sneak all the way onto the objective and all get killed. meglan was an e-4 then. i dont know if he is still around. you may know him
2nd was the youngest sqd 4 no tabs (myself included) an e-4 tm ldr and a recent e-5 both were good ncos one is now up at DA dont know what happeened to the other probably SF and a really squared away sqd ldr named marlow. who left to be an RI.
3rd is hard to remember when i first got in from '91 to '93 there must have been 4 or 5 different sqd ldrs and twice as many tm ldrs they allways seemed to be full of guys who were getting out or waiting orders but pierce came down from 2nd or 3rd plt and took the sqd a guy (who may still be around) named fandell and myself took teams.
wpns was almost allways attached to the line sqds

what else do you want to know?
chief4175
Ranger

creeping death

Post by chief4175 »

I already read about why creeping death got out but why did you get out vega? Also what do you guys do now a days?
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

I had a RIP instructor named Meglan; in '94, could this have been the same guy? He wore 'go fast glasses'....CD, was he at RIP when you went through?
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Joe Meglan was my Cadre Plt Sgt in Rip and my Cadre Plt Sgt in Pre-Ranger both. He always smoked my bag because I came from the same squad as he did. Later on, after I got my shit, he came back home to 1/75 to take over as 1st plt wpns sqd ldr, which is where he was when I left.

I saw him a few months ago at MSgt Fernandez's funeral, and he told me that he had been at Florida phase, and was just coming back to 1/75 from there, and that he hoped to get a company, but the 1SG list hadn't come out yet. So, Meglan is still at 1/75, but I 'm not sure if he has a company yet, or not.

After Vega left, 1st plt went through a few changes. Fandell left. Sgt. Heil (1st SL - the most squared away MF I ever knew) broke his back on a jump, and he was replaced by an E-5 from 3rd Plt. We lost one or two guys to "selection", and after they tightened up on the school slots, a God Squad was unheard of. Sgt. Graver, our Wpns SL, left to take a job at JOTC (that's when Meglan came back). And, our Plt Sgt got promoted up to MSgt, and went to the flag pole for a while, then took over as B Co's 1SG (Brimstin). 1st Sqd had the senior privates, 2nd sqd had the low speed privates, and poor old 3rd sqd was so loaded full of cherries it was pitifull.

Then they finally found a few slots, and sent me to school. When I got back, things evidently started to come around, but I had already moved up to sniper section. From what I could tell, the only "weak spots" at that time was in wpns sqd. Meglan, who had come back from Pre-Ranger to take over as wpns SL, tried to get me to come back to 1st plt to be a gunner for him, but I had to decline. I was too short, and he was chocked full of cherries, and needed somebody down there who could be a good team ldr - not sombody who was gonna be clearing in less than six months. But, I'm sure everything was fine. If anybody could pull a wpns sqd together that was light on Tabs, it was Joe.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
VEGA175

Re: creeping death

Post by VEGA175 »

chief4175 wrote:I already read about why creeping death got out but why did you get out vega? Also what do you guys do now a days?
three big reasons
iris gold walked a really long way . no war
somalia sat out on the airfield . no war
haiti sat on a fucking boat . no war

there were more minor reasons too no one was getting their e-6 the points stayed maxed out for about a year which ended after i got out.
the tab seemed to be loosing its value and just the little changes that come along throughout your enlistment that make it seem like it is different place from when you started

today i run operations in an electronics company
Last edited by VEGA175 on August 29th, 2003, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
VEGA175

Post by VEGA175 »

Saltbitch wrote:I had a RIP instructor named Meglan; in '94, could this have been the same guy? He wore 'go fast glasses'....CD, was he at RIP when you went through?

it is the same guy
Boattail173
Ranger

Post by Boattail173 »

I remeber that guy...during RIP he pushed me down a hill. LOL damn I miss RGT
Saltbitch

Post by Saltbitch »

Yeah, SGT Meglan smoked us furiously, but he was always willing to teach us something 'that wasn't in the book'. He seemed to use a great deal of,"Okay this is how you do it. Now from my experience it works a little better if you....". I remember while every other RIP cadre member smoked us silly at Cole Range, he was busy teaching us the basics of writing OPORDS on the boards that Pre-RGR uses. I was truly impressed.

VEGA- the 'Clinton years' were VERY lean times, indeed. I guess while he was screwing around with interns, he preferred to just give us 'blue balls'. :x
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Yeah, SB, Megaln was always cool like that. He was a hard MF, but he would rather do what he could to teach a kid to be both hard and proficient, rather than just make him quit.

Of all the guys that I ever had the pleasure of working with, Meglan is pretty high up on my list.
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”