DIVE SCHOOL?

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Bloody_Limey
Ranger

DIVE SCHOOL?

Post by Bloody_Limey »

My friend is just graduating SOCM as a Ranger Medic and is about to re-enlist.
Top of his list of priorities is going to Combat Dive School.
We're trying to find out what the best way of trying to get into Dive School would be and if he could have that included in his re-enlistment contract.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RLTW
"The truth about the world is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream..."~CORMAC MCCARTHY
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: DIVE SCHOOL?

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Bloody_Limey wrote:My friend is just graduating SOCM as a Ranger Medic and is about to re-enlist.
Top of his list of priorities is going to Combat Dive School.
We're trying to find out what the best way of trying to get into Dive School would be and if he could have that included in his re-enlistment contract.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RLTW
Unless things have dramatically changed, as long as he can pass a dive physical it is most certainly possible. I knew a few medics who were able to score that with re-enlistment. If I'm not mistaken, as an added bonus the medics are trained to run a decompression chamber. If your friend can score this one, he will be a rock-star! Talk about padding your resume!.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

CAUTION: I've heard from more than one graduate that the physical requirments for making it through Combat Dive School are gruesome. One guy told me it made Ranger School look like a walk in the park.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

If he is just graduating SOCM, than I assume that means he will be a new medic in batt? They may want him to learn his job first before taking a few months off to go do pre-scuba and CDQC. And then again, the worst they can say is 'no', right?

I do know that just about anyone who asked for it as a re-up school, got it. Also, x2 on what the others said about it being a tough course, I know two other Rangers who went and said it was a real bitch.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Slowpoke wrote:CAUTION: I've heard from more than one graduate that the physical requirments for making it through Combat Dive School are gruesome. One guy told me it made Ranger School look like a walk in the park.
Heard this too. They used to do a pre-scuba at Victory Pond and that shit never looked pleasant..

Went to paramedic training with one of the cadre from the schoolhouse in Key West. When I asked him if being cadre there was the coolest thing since sliced bread and beer in a can, he just chuckled and said, "What do you fucking think?.."
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Bloody_Limey
Ranger

Post by Bloody_Limey »

Thanks for all the replies. I sent him a link to this post and quoted the "made Ranger School look like a walk in the park" reference to see if I can give him the FEAR...
"The truth about the world is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it all from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream..."~CORMAC MCCARTHY
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

The Battalions have plenty of slots for CDQC, whether or not you get to go is an issue between you and your chain of command. I basically reenlisted for it, although I was going to reenlist either way, and I pushed pretty hard with my 1SG and PSG to get all of the arrangements taken care of.

To be honest, Batt. isn't really very helpful when it comes to going to CDQC. You will probably have to set up most of it by yourself, ie calling down to the school house and finding out the correct and latest packing list, getting the welcome letter to include necessary documents, etc. Preparation for it will be entirely on you and how resourceful you are at finding other guys who have gone (and passed or failed) and snagging advice from them.

As far as the difficulty is concerned, yeah... I just graduated CDQC and can safely say that I would never, ever, do the first two and a half weeks again in my life. It was the hardest thing/course I've done in the military. Ranger School is not a gut check. CDQC is a gut check.

FYI, all of the "you's" I've said are the royal 'you' and are intended for your bud.

As an afterthought, he can also attend the DMT (Dive Medical Technician) course without having attended CDQC. However, DMT may or may not be just for 18D's. I'm not sure.
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

6th RTB has a bunch of DMTs.

Back in the day, anyone trying to go to dive school ran through RTB's Pre-scuba. And back in the day, Pre-scuba made Pre-RGR's PT look like Airborne's.

If he can get into anyone's Pre-scuba, it would help hi immensely.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”